Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Help with PC parts, please?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 14:32 Edited at: 14th Dec 2013 14:35
Hi, all I know about motherboards, cpu's and graphics cards are what I have learnt in the past 24 hours so it's not much.

My (not so great)computer stopped working around 18 months ago and I have been getting by on laptops and ultrabooks etc, but this is no longer an option.

I have a case, micro I think, it has 4 slot spaces on the back. It has a couple of CD drives and a relatively new 500W power unit. I want to replace everything else so I have a machine that can handle most modern games, although it is for development more than playing.

Here is what I have:
Parts

The motherboard was picked at random, with a little more thought going into the processor and video card. Memory was also picked at random, as was the network adaptor.

Here are my questions:

1. The website says there are no conflicts, can I trust that?
2. Does the processor come with a cooler? If so, is it attached or do I need that glue stuff?
3. Do I need a network adaptor or is there a default one in the motherboard?
4. Is all this fuss worth it, I could have one built for me but I need it pretty quick and I have heard some horror stories about people waiting months for a machine which does not even work
5. Do I still need a sound card, from what I have read I don't think I do?
6. Could I fail putting it together, or is it straight forward, I'm not afraid of some heavy reading if required.
7. Is there a better option for any of those parts without increasing the cost too much?
8. Do I need a case cooler? If so, can that wait?
9. How much would this spec PC be worth if bought new from a shop
10. Is there anything I've missed?

If anyone could answer any of those questions I would be very grateful. I'll probably order tomorrow or Monday and I feel like I'm going out on a limb so posting here and getting opinions will make me feel more at ease, thanks

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2013 19:06
Quote: "I have a case, micro I think, it has 4 slot spaces on the back"

The slots are for the cards that plug into your motherboard, and since 99% of motherboards are ATX form factor and thus 99% of cases are designed for them (mini, mid, full tower), you can't the size of the case by that. How many front bays does the case have? If it only has 1 or maybe 2 at the most, then it's likely a mini tower. There are different sizes of ATX-compatible motherboard sizes, such as micro and extended. Then there's the various sizes of ITX motherboards that let you build really small computers.

1. Don't know, never used that website but I'll check your hardware.

2. Any boxed processor you get from Intel comes with a stock cooler. I've used the stock cooler on every CPU I ever owned until recently where I switched to water cooling for my i7. If you're not overclocking, stock cooler is adequate. There is NO glue on a processor! What you're probably thinking of is thermal paste and you MUST use it. Put a small dab on the die of the processor where the heatsink will make contact. This ensures a proper transfer of heat from the cpu. Failure to do so make damage your processor or in extreme cases you'll watch it melt.

3. If you look at the specs on the motherboard, it lists the onboard ethernet. So yes, it has gigabit on the motherboard so an extra NIC is not required. But it only supports a wired connection. If you want wireless you'll need that other card you selected.

4. You can walk into a store and leave with a PC that day. Customized options however could require a delay and that time depends on where you buy it.

5. No. I had to look up the board on another site to be certain because that site didn't list it, but yes your board has Realtek ALC1150 7.1 audio built-in. I think it's very rare these days to find a motherboard without onboard sound.

6. It's pretty simple and most things only connect or fit one way. Even the audio ports are color coded. Just because careful when installing the parts, especially the ram. Static electricity can damage parts. If you don't have a static bracelet, you can keep yourself grounded by holding the metal frame of the case as you pick up your parts. This helps reduce the chance of static shock to the components. The most tedious part of the build I think is plugging in all those tiny wires from the case to the motherboard. (the power switch/led, hdd light, reboot switch,etc...) The motherboard manual should come with a picture showing which wire plugs into which pins. They should also be labeled on the board itself, but sometimes hard to see. You could save £10 and get the DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance instead. G.Skill is also another brand worth considering. They have very good competitive prices, and over the years have really shown they are quality. I'm currently using 16GB of G.skills sniper gaming memory and it's been working flawlessly. Corsair will be fine too I'm sure, just providing another option from experience.

7. The parts are fine. I personally would go with a Western Digital harddrive over Hitachi. This WD 1TB Blue is only £45.99 from Amazon and it spins at 7200rpm instead of the 5400rpm of the hitachi you selected. This means faster seek times. For an extra £10 you could get the black series WD, which is their top of the line consumer drive. The WD drive also has 64mb of cache over your 8mb, thus better performance. That hitachi is a 2.5", typically for laptops. Also, I want to point out that the memory you selected runs at 2133MHz. Your board will still use it, but it will underclock its speed to 1600 unless you overclock the ram settings on the board. (unless the board detects it and overclocks it automatically)

8. By case cooler you mean a fan, you should probably at least one case fan at the back to blow hot air out and create an air current through the case.

9. Depends on the shop.

10. That Asus GTX 760 will draw up to 225w and need an 8-pin PCIe power connector. If your PSU doesn't have one, you'll need an adapter. The 4th gen Intel CPUs use more power than the previous gen, about 10w more. Even though, that leaves roughly 200w left to power the rest of your components which shouldn't be a probably as the gfx and cpu are the biggest ones. Others will likely disagree that 500w isn't enough, but I think you should be fine, though I wouldn't go any lower on it. I've been building systems for nearly 15 years and used PSUs with much lower wattage than what people said I could, because I do the math. Generally, I add up the max power consumption everything uses and add 100w, so the PSU doesn't require 100% all the time and stress it out. And chances are, nothing you do will use 100% of all your parts at any one time, evening gaming. (because your CPU will hardly be used during games)

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 00:43
Quote: "1. The website says there are no conflicts, can I trust that?"

No idea about the specific website, but the parts you picked out should be compatible with eachother

Quote: "2. Does the processor come with a cooler? If so, is it attached or do I need that glue stuff?"

It comes with a cooler which is basicaly just pushed in place, no screws and no thermal compund is needed

Quote: "4. Is all this fuss worth it, I could have one built for me but I need it pretty quick and I have heard some horror stories about people waiting months for a machine which does not even work"

Building it your self is cheaper and you can get it exactly the way you want it, but you run the risk of messing something up (which unless you do something realy stupid wont happen). If you have it built for you in a serious shop, you will probably not have any issues but it will cost a bit more. Just look up the people doing it to make sure they are not "scammers" if you are unsure.

Quote: "5. Do I still need a sound card, from what I have read I don't think I do?"

Nope, almost all motherboards have built in sound

Quote: "6. Could I fail putting it together, or is it straight forward, I'm not afraid of some heavy reading if required."

There is a posibility of failing but its probably very small. If you are unsure how to do a cirtain step, look it up, there is a ton of info about it and as long as you know what you are doing you should not have any issues

Quote: "8. Do I need a case cooler? If so, can that wait?"

I dont think you need it, most Prebuilt computers dont have them but they do help. If you can fit one in the case, I would say you should get one because they dont cost that much.

Quote: "9. How much would this spec PC be worth if bought new from a shop"

If you get it custom built, im guessing it would cost the same plus the cost of putting it together. Prebuilt computers from large manufacurers you will most likley get worse components with lower quailty for the same price. I have had terrible experience with prebuilt computers especially when it comes to upgrading them and they realy dont have any advantages over custom ones. One more advantage of a custom built computer is that you can upgrade the parts when the get old.

Quote: "10. Is there anything I've missed?"

Something you might want to look out for is if the components can fit in your case. Im guessing the one you have is from a prebuilt computer and they tend to be pretty cramped up. I was unable to upgrade my old prebuilt HP computer because bigger graphicscards wouldnt fit (+ a lot of other issues like the fact that HP put in a way to weak PSU which killed the computer when I added more RAM). I would open the case and see if you think everything will fit before getting any parts. Also, like Phaelax said, make sure your PSU supports the new components.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 12:51
Look for videos like this

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 17:12
Thanks. This has helped a lot.

I have watched the video and swapped a few components as advised.

I also need some connector converters, the cpu needs an 8 pin connector and the video card needs a 6 and 8 pin adaptor. The PSU has a 6 pin connector and a 4 pin connector so I am about to figure out what converters I need, I think the PSU will be fine if I get the correct converters.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 17:24
Converters in my view, especially under heady load are temporary in-betweeners until you replace the PSU to utilise one which fits the bill...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 17:39 Edited at: 15th Dec 2013 17:40
Usually the equipment comes with any converters you might need. But sometimes not. The motherboard might have an 8 pin connector but will work just fine with a regular 4 pin connector off the PSU (if the PSU doesn't have the 8 pin connector).

Also, I'd recommend finding a few old PCs to tear apart (maybe check with friends/family?) and put back together. This is how most of us PC builders started. Would you buy car engine parts and put it all together hoping it works having never done it? It can be very expensive to destroy the processor by not correctly installing the heatsink, for example, or damaging the motherboard cuz you didn't know how to deal with the risers (I've heard about a few newbs this has happened to).

Also, motherboard manuals have great howto guides, maybe look up your motherboard manual.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 19:31
my parts

Just ordered the parts, I will hold back on the converters and try to get them locally if they do not come with the components.

I have been taking my PC apart today while watching that video so I have a better understanding of how everything fits together. I think the only problems I may have is the case being too cramped or I wont have the correct converters, other than that I am reasonably confident I can do this

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll let you know how I get on.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 19:32 Edited at: 15th Dec 2013 19:33
That GPU should fit in anything, looks to be as long as the mobo... looks cute too >.<

EDIT

I hope you are aware that the GPU uses two PCI bays...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2013 19:56
Thanks MrValentine, I am aware it needs two bays

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 04:44
Quote: "Also, I'd recommend finding a few old PCs to tear apart (maybe check with friends/family?) and put back together. This is how most of us PC builders started. Would you buy car engine parts and put it all together hoping it works having never done it? "

Well actually, yes I would And actually, I built my first PC by buying all the parts and sticking them together, never replaced anything prior to that. But then again, even hard drives use to come with installation guides back then, but there was no youtube tutorials when I was 16.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 17:13
I am just looking into this at the moment and thought I would post here to get your advice.

The GTX 760 has arrived, it seems it has a single 8 pin power input, it also came with a 2x6pin to 8pin adaptor. So I take it that if I don't have an 8pin connecter I can use two 6pins.

Problem is that I only have 1x6pin on my PSU. Can I just get a 6pin to 8pin adaptor? They sell those in a shop by my house

Or can I simply plug a single 6pin to the 2x6pin to 8pin adapter, I found a post from someone saying they did this and it seems to work fine.

Or my final option, get a molex to 6pin adapter and plug both 6pins into the 2x6pin to 8pin cable provided with the card.

The minimum recommended PSU is 500W which is what I have so I think I am fine as far as that is concerned.

Thanks.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 19:07
6pin?

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 19:13
Honestly albeit you will be able to run the system on a 500watt PSU no problem.

There is a few things to consider for example, a PSU derates as much as 10% a year, a 50watt derate each year will let you run into trouble no time flat.

Albeit a PSU might say 500watt, it might actually be less, in the sense of continuous and peak performance, peak performance it might be able to provide the rated wattage, but only for a short period of time.Also 500watt might be the combined total for all the rails, and be left with a lack luster 12 volt rail, 225watt equals nearly half the output, and that would leave very little for any thing else.

Oh the GTX760 max output is a 170watts not 225watt as pointed out in the thread, this if for the ref design, a additional fan would only add about 17watts extra.

Continuous output is able to provide the rated wattage always and at the rated wattage.

Heat derates capacitance output to a point of as much as 10watts per degree over the temp threshold of the PSU, 5 or 7 degree and you will have your computer shutting down for no apparent reason.

This all comes down to choosing a good quality PSU with over head to allow future expansion and derating of the PSU.

650-700watt is better in many regards, it is not overkill, as some might point out, it's just a realistic figure if you consider covering all the bases.

I would be very keen to know what PSU your planning on using, as PSU's is a little hobby of mine.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 20:15
Quote: "a PSU derates as much as 10% a year, a 50watt derate each year"

Where did you hear that nonsense? If that's the case, then I see a lot of computers running with less than 100w now.

Quote: "Oh the GTX760 max output is a 170watts not 225watt as pointed out in the thread"

The 225w is from Asus' website on their own card. So no, it's not 170 it's a max of 225.

Quote: "This all comes down to choosing a good quality PSU "

Agreed. Matty, what PSU do you have?

Keep in mind all these numbers assume you running every component at 100%, which probably isn't often. Even so, I think your 500w will be fine assuming it's not a bargain bin PSU. As wizard pointed out, not all operate at their advertised wattage. I spend the extra money and buy SeaSonic, I swear by them.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 21:36 Edited at: 17th Dec 2013 22:09
Nonsense, Well I happen to be friends with a electrical engineer, that designed various PSU's for industrial and commercial use.

I have been reviewing PSU's for the past two years, and if you don't believe I suggest you head over to jonnyguru.com forums and pose them this question, and see if you get lol's

Do PSU's really derate over time ?

Answer your are likely to get is Conventional electrolytic capacitors degrade over time due to heat

So in other words, a capacitor degrade over time, pending the quality and heat factors, that derate curve might be as much as 10% and as a whole effects the PSU output, which in the correct term the PSU derates, as most PSU's are derived from DC to DC, and minor rails derived from the 12volt rail, all rails are affected equally.

Because I mention 10% and it's a 500watt unit easy deduction is 50watts but because i don't have the full on the PSU it's a worse case scenario

And no the power consumption table show up to 225watt PCIe 8pin cable needed, it doesn't mention the actual max power output

I suggest you go google GTX 760 specs, ref design is a 170 watts, and fan(s) really draw a miniscule amount of power, so different brands may differ in a few watts but not nearly 225watts

In fact the reference GTX770 is a odd 230watts.

Oh to add, the remark about, PSU's running on less than 100wattt now, have you for one second considered, a capacitor runs for a x amount of time before unable to deliver the output it's rated for or fail altogether.

Various things need to be considered, running time, heat, how good the line filtering is ect, which is why up to 10% can derate..

Oh forgot about the equipment running at 100% well, sure that is a given, however choosing a PSU you always consider the 12volt items in the system GPU and CPU uses the most, and more than often actually reaches max power design limit, so you always go with the theoretical max of CPU and GPU.The only time a system runs at max is during boot up, where the draw can be more that the output, more than often a PSU is able to handle it, or if you have for example a 5 volt heavy rig with lots of HDD's the system would stagger the load as not to overwhelm the rail on start up.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 01:43
10% every year sounds very extreme. You may have been reviewing PSUs for 2 years, but I've been using them over 15 years. I don't claim to be an electrician, but I know enough through personal experience. I've had systems running 24x7 for several years and they still power everything fine, despite using lower wattage PSUs than what people think is needed. I'm aware capacitors degrade, usually I just see them blow/fail completely.

Quote: "I suggest you go google GTX 760 specs, "

I did google it, which is the only reason why I'd suggest such a number. I got my info from the manufacturer of the card he selected.
https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GTX760DC2OC2GD5/#specifications

But I think I may have discovered the source of our disagreement on this. I looked up the reference specs for the 760 and the specs on the Asus card. Considering the clock speeds are higher than reference and the model number has OC in it, I'd hazard a guess this is an overclocked model. That could account for the higher maximum wattage. Between that and also:

Quote: "The GTX 760 has arrived, it seems it has a single 8 pin power input"

The reference model states a 6-pin.

Like I said 500w would be the minimum I would use for his rig. I think he'll be ok, but I'd say he's borderline for any sudden power spikes needed depending on his brand of PSU. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with a 600w.

Since you said you've been reviewing PSUs, what's the top brand you've come across?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 02:34
How many rails is the PSU. If it's single rail it'll probably be fine. If it's multiple rails, you'll need to try and get a power cable from each rail to the PSU. 500 watts is gonna be pushing it depending on your other hardware.

As for your question, you can use whatever adapters you like, it's all the same electricity in the end. Just try to combine rails if needed.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 05:09 Edited at: 18th Dec 2013 05:11
@Phaelax

Dude, English isn't my first language it's not even remotely second, it's actually 3rd, I learned Afrikaans then Zulu and finally English.

I have absolutely no problem understanding, you need a cable with a rail able to produce 225 watts.

What do you know the Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 says it needs 300watts, nope sorry "up to 300Wadditional 6+8 pin PCIe power required."The actual design limit is 230watt, 70 odd extra watts is basically what the titan would use.

The ref design uses 2 x 6pin cables, the ASUS card uses a single 8 pin.

One thing I detest is some one mentioning, I have a "100" years experience, it doesn't make you right sonny, in fact this is usually where I stop the convo and move on....I don't have the time the of day when people play their experience cards and we are derailing his thread.Should also note if you have any more myths to debunk there is a pm system you can use and get in contact with me.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 05:44
Quote: "
Well I happen to be friends with a electrical engineer, that designed various PSU's for industrial and commercial use.
"

Quote: "
Since you said you've been reviewing PSUs, what's the top brand you've come across?
"

Quote: "^ This"

Quote: "One thing I detest is some one mentioning, I have a "100" years experience, it doesn't make you right sonny, in fact this is usually where I stop the convo and move on....I don't have the time the of day when people play their experience cards and we are derailing his thread.Should also note if you have any more myths to debunk there is a pm system you can use and get in contact with me. "

Wow, just Wow... so my 15 years experience building over 2500 systems around the world accounts for zilch .......... ok have a nice day...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 12:54
The PSU is a High Power Plus 500w. I am not sure about rails but under the 12v1 and 12v2 it has 18A each and 400w between them.

I get the impression the video card wants me to use 2x6pin, would this give the card access to more power than a single 8pin direct into the card or even a single 6pin?

I feel converting a molex to 6pin and then plugging 2x6pins into my card via the 2x6pin to 8pin connector is the way to go? I will then replace the PSU and case in a few months, unless you guys tell me I absolutely need a PSU right now.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 12:59
Dearie me... you need something substantially better than that...

Also I always advise on a surge protector for the power socket your system connects to...

I shall leave it for others to suggest a better PSU, ensure higher than 15A per rail though!

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 13:32 Edited at: 18th Dec 2013 13:32
I will look into PSU's and cases today

I may as well have bought a new pre-built computer now, but I suppose this way I have learned a lot and will be better placed to replace individual parts in the future now I have a little knowledge.

By the way, my wife is not happy with you guys, I said 650 tops, now it's more like 850 ha ha.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 13:34
Tell her, it will mean you can be more productive

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 14:24
@MrValentine

Buddy pal, unless you have disassembled, reassembled, PSU's and know your full bridge from your half bridge, your group regulated from your double forward, your primary side from your secondary, your zenner diode from your rectifying bridge, your line filtering from your grounding.

Yip I can pretty much say, as a electrical N3 student, building a billion systems without knowing what actually goes on inside a PSU irrelevant.

First off you don't know me, you don't know my qualifications, so making assumptions is pretty much the mother of all stuff ups, I don't mention I am doing electrical engineering as I still have to complete the course, it's a moot point, and a baseless argument that follows complete the course, then come speak to me about experience attitude.

Don't take experience for granted, it is valuable and can provide valuable insight with regards to building systems, I however don't do system building, my line of "work" is PSU's, and I know my PSU's my oem's my designs, flaws, caps ect.You can take that to the bank most of the times, it's not arrogance or my object to insult you or any one, I eat drink and sleep PSU's...

Nothing personal, and no offense taken, it's not a personal attack on you either or any one here, It's my job to know, all things or all things relative to PSU's, simply dismissing me, because you have more experience on a completely irrelevant subject to PSU is a bit of a conundrum for me ?

Which is why I simply ignore convo's with "experience" involved, also my last reply regarding this, unless you can prove me wrong go ahead
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 14:33 Edited at: 18th Dec 2013 14:34
Quote: "Yip I can pretty much say, as a electrical N3 student, building a billion systems without knowing what actually goes on inside a PSU irrelevant."

Good luck to you

So what PSU's have you ACTUAL "experience" with, in my view, Ancient kit...

Anyway, start your own thread on your so called prowess, we are not interested... please stop diverting this thread...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 17:55
Quote: "The PSU is a High Power Plus 500w. I am not sure about rails but under the 12v1 and 12v2 it has 18A each and 400w between them."

That means you have 2 rails delivering 16amps each. You'd want both rails connecting to your GPU so use an adapter that would let you plug in either 2 six pin plugs or use an adapter that lets you plug in 2 separate molex lines (hopefully they'll be on 2 different rails).

If you can, just return it and get a PSU designed for the 2 6pin or 1 8pin GPUs, then you know you won't have a problem. If you push the PSU it could blow and fry other components with it.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 18:24
Quote: "Dude, English isn't my first language it's not even remotely second, it's actually 3rd, I learned Afrikaans then Zulu and finally English."

Uhhh ok? At what point did I even bring up your language?

Quote: " I have a "100" years experience, it doesn't make you right sonny, in fact this is usually where I stop the convo and move on"

That's exactly what you did. What would you call this:
"Well I happen to be friends with a electrical engineer"
"I have been reviewing PSU's for the past two years,"

Quote: "Which is why I simply ignore convo's with "experience" involved"

Sorry, can you repeat that? I was too busy ignoring your experienced words.

Quote: "First off you don't know me, you don't know my qualifications, so making assumptions is pretty much the mother of all stuff ups"

And you don't know us or our qualifications

Nobody is attacking you so relax, dude. And when I asked about the best PSU you've come across, I was legitimately curious.

Quote: "The ref design uses 2 x 6pin cables"

You're right, I thought I read 1.

Quote: "What do you know the Asus GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 says it needs 300watts, nope sorry "up to 300Wadditional 6+8 pin PCIe power required."The actual design limit is 230watt"

I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here. Where are you getting 300w from? You get 75w from the PCIe slot and an additional 150w from the 8-pin connector (or two 6-pin) for a total of 225w.
Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,3061-12.html

Quote: "The PSU is a High Power Plus 500w. I am not sure about rails but under the 12v1 and 12v2 it has 18A each and 400w between them."

That's so much a no-name brand, google could barely find them! I did find this: http://www.pcgarage.ro/surse/sirtec-high-power/element-plus-500w/
Oddly, it says it's not recommended for gaming Although, consumer reviews that I can find on various PSUs by HighPower have pretty high ratings.

I've already mentioned SeaSonic, but I don't know what your budget is. Corsair is a pretty highly respectable brand and you can pick up a this 750w for less than £70.

Keep in mind, all the fabulous parts in the world don't mean squat in your PC without a reliable power source.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 19:41
final build with case and PSU

I took the advice and bought a PSU along with a case with a fan. I would have bought these at a later date but I am happy I have everything now.

The PSU and case are not coming until Friday so I can change them if any of you think I should.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 19:47
Not my ideal preference in parts but it looks good so far... and that PSU does look like a winner! Polymer caps, no degradation happening there for some time!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 20:27
I'm currently using a 750w seasonic gold. A little pricier than others, but you'll be happy with it. This is my second seasonic (previously a 450w) and they are the quietest you'll never hear. If yours is like mine, it'll come in a fancy velvet bag, like a bottle of crown.

I just hope your graphics card fits inside that micro case.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 21:49 Edited at: 18th Dec 2013 21:54
Quote: "4. Is all this fuss worth it, I could have one built for me but I need it pretty quick and I have heard some horror stories about people waiting months for a machine which does not even work"

I decided to go down the route of getting mine built for me, I don't always trust myself as I can be a wee bit clumsy and am not very hands-on and I don't regret it. It was well built and whilst their estimated times were a little bit longer than what was ideal I did have the option to pay for a priority build and I was happy to pay for that service.

I went via DinoPC, I felt their prices were competitive, I got a decent spec PC for a low price and I have no complaints about the build quality. I do feel there was one mistake in my choices, I went for a manufacturer I'm unfamiliar with for my graphics card, Zotac, whilst I'm sure they're normally good it seems like I was unfortunate in getting one that's gone faulty (it happens, manufactured goods have a failure rate, regardless how good they are), but I don't know how long 'Zotacs' tend to last and should have stuck to what I know - but I picked it because it was the 'cheap' option. Hence am replacing it with a ASUS, because I find they're a decent quality manufacturer. In this, I'm deciding an upgrade, so I'll be jumping from a GTX 650ti to a GTX 770. It'll be a nice performance boost lol.

For an idea of manufacturers: my mobo is an ASUS, Xigmatek for a tower, PSU is a Corsair, CPU is an AMD, HDD is a Western Digital and well, it's only my graphics card that's let me down, the rest work brilliantly.

Quote: "8. Do I need a case cooler? If so, can that wait?"

I've found having a large fan at the back sufficient. My PC remains at a decent temperature even when more intensive games and sustaining said gameplay. I've kept this monitored as after my laptop over heated I am paranoid about temperatures and of course, dust - which is also why I went for the 'window' option on the case so I can see how clean it is lol. The fans on the CPU and GPU do enough to keep them cool.

It also survived our summer pretty well without exceeding healthy temperatures - I always keep the system well ventilated too. If you feel you'd rather run at cooler temperatures, the option to upgrade later is there.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 16:45
I did it

I didn't like the clickety crunch sound when locking the CPU, thought I may have done something very wrong. I could also only turn 3 of the 4 CPU fan fixings, turning the 4th popped out the 2nd. It seems like it is solid though on all 4 fixings.

I also never used any thermal compound, just left on the stuff that comes stuck to the fan.

Also can't connect my DVD drive until I get a converter tomorrow so I also can't install windows until then

But pressing F2 brings up the initial setup and all components are recognised, fans are working etc so I am pretty happy for now.

Let me know if you think I may have any problems due to the cpu fan setup, thanks

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 17:08
I would ensure you had all four as one side loose can create a massive heat location on the chip... best to get all four in... luckily this is an Intel Chip and it will just shut itself and the rest of the system down before melting down...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 18:18 Edited at: 20th Dec 2013 18:22
Quote: " luckily this is an Intel Chip and it will just shut itself and the rest of the system down before melting down...
"

Sometimes it\'s not fast enough. I have killed CPUs

As for the heatsink, intel are sometimes very hard to get right They must all be locked down fully. You could basically pick up and whip around your motherboard by the heatsink once you have the heatsink properly locked in. It should be very tight. Unfortunately this is one of those, only experience can make it right sort of deal. Try and watch some youtube videos of your exact heatsink type.

As for the thermal paste, the intel stuff is just fine.

Lastly, while you're waiting, now's a good time to stress test, download memtest86 onto a usb drive and make sure it doesn't report any errors. You can also reboot and check the temps in the bios to make sure those are within spec (under 70/75 degrees C)

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 18:40
Quote: "I have killed CPUs"

YOU MONSTER!!!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 19:49
Quote: "Lastly, while you're waiting, now's a good time to stress test"

AFTER he secures the heatsink properly. Do not leave one side unsecure as Valentine pointed out this could cause improper heat transfer and could run the risk of overheating.

Quote: "Also can't connect my DVD drive until I get a converter tomorrow"

What converter?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 01:53
Quote: "What converter?"

IDE to SATA, advised to get a new DVD drive

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2013 19:41
I bought a new DVD drive. I now have a totally new computer, the idea was to use some of the parts from my last computer but it never worked out like that, I'm happy it's all new but it ended up costing much more than I planned

Thanks for all your help everyone, I am now posting on the computer you helped me build

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 07:50:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 07:50:48