Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any aquarium enthusiasts?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 05:00
Aquariumists? Aquamen? Whatever it's called, who's got a bloody fish tank!

It's been many years since I set one up, got a 29gal put up a few weeks ago. Trying to go with all live plants(and fish of course) for the first time.

I added a page about my tank to my website, mostly so I remember what kind of fish I have cause I never remember what they're called. I'm still trying to identify my plants. I also have pics of the stand I built for the tank. Fortunately, I built it very sturdy because I had to move it later....with a full 29gal of water on top already It held up nicely without twisting apart. And yes it's still missing the front door. Also, in hindsight I should've left the back open.

http://www.zimnox.com/projects/aquarium/

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 05:22 Edited at: 17th Dec 2013 05:23
I had one. They all died
It only had Neon Tetras in it

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 06:02
Quote: "I had one. They all died "
I'm really sorry, but you placed that smiley perfectly to get me doubled over laughing here.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 08:41
Quote: "I'm really sorry, but you placed that smiley perfectly to get me doubled over laughing here."

Me too!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 13:39 Edited at: 17th Dec 2013 13:46
@ Phaelax:

I used to have up to 5 tanks running at once, once upon a time. I no longer run any tanks at all; once I found out that the little bit of ammonia (fish waste) that got into the air caused a small allergic reaction (puffy eyes, runny nose, etc.)...especially during water changes. Which rather sucks, as I thoroughly enjoyed my tanks.

Good looking setup; looks like your running close to 27 inches of fish total, so just under the max for that tank. Live plants will help a lot. If you can get your hands on some simple crypto, you will get a nice grouping of additional plant coverage that I'm sure all your fish (and the frogs) will appreciate. Crypto does well in most lighting, depending on the depth. How big does that Pleco get though? If it's more than 6 inches total; I would think about ditching that choice, perhaps get a small school (6 would do it) of Corydoras? They're good bottom cleaners, and fun to watch (very social). I actually inadvertently got a breeding pair from Wal-Mart; which I used to breed quite a few fry with (then traded them in at a local fish store for store credit). Breeding egg-layers is quite a different experience from live-bearers.

If you're worried about not having the Pleco around for algae cleanup; try to get some Amano Shrimp. They do just as well for algae cleanup (aside from your snail), and don't leave such a large footprint on your system. Another thing to consider; if algae isn't abundant, and you're not feeding algae disks to your Pleco, he will suck off the slime coat from some of your fish (experienced this myself)...which will also stress them out, and potentially cause an "ich" outbreak.

That's also a handsome stand you have created. I always wanted to make my own set-up as well; but never got around to it. One thing you might think about, is a simple Co2 system for your plants; or something like this: Flourish excel. Using Flourish Excel will negate the need for a Co2 System with hardy plants (like your banana plants, or crypto). A small dose a day will do it. One bottle should last you nearly a month (give or take).

What kind of filtration are you planning on? I used to be partial to bio-wheel filters (such as Penguin systems).

Be sure to post pics of the tank in stages of completion, including the final setup.

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2013 20:28
Quote: " If you can get your hands on some simple crypto"

What's crypto? Google tells me its a disease!

The pleco I have is still small, smaller than the gouramis. I used to have a 5" one along with a red lobster. They fought too much.

I have a Fluval U2 filter.

I had a tetra die sunday night and took it back to the store (48hr warranty). Bought them saturday, all fish were 50% off this weekend and they told me the tetras are always under a lot of stress there. I have 5 more doing just fine so it appears isolated case. The ammonia level was a little high, those gouramis create a ton of waste! So they're down to feeding only every other day and I did a water change to dilute any toxins.

I have several shrimp in the tank, just don't know what kind. Some are red, some are blue, some look clear. Probably half a dozen or more.

A friend of mine has a tank she claims that's 3-4 times bigger than mine that I can have! She makes it sound like a 100gal but I'd guess she only has a 55.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 05:21
Cryptocorn

You probably have some ghost shrimp (clear ones); they eat wasted food, but don't really touch the algae.

What do you feed them all?

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 19:28
Your typical tropical fish flakes, veggie rounds, and these things.

I think my plants are dying though, possibly not enough light.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 19:35
You need to replace you bulbs every now and then; regardless of whether they're still lighting up. You should get bulbs specifically for planted tanks (dont' cost much more). I assume you have a single flourescent bulb in the hood? After a time, the coating on the bulb is burned off (the coating that helps the plants flourish).

You should feed them dried bloodworms on occassion (once every few days) as well.

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2013 20:30
It's a brand new light. My old one used a magnetic ballast and made a very annoying humming sound, so I bought a new light fixture with an electronic ballast. It's only a 17w T8. If they can hold out a couple weeks, I'll get a nice light for the bigger tank rather than spend money on this little one.

I finally built the door last night, I'll get some pics up later.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 04:27
Good deal; looking forward to checking them out.

-Keith

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 05:36 Edited at: 19th Dec 2013 05:41
I've been keeping fish & plants for years and have had several tanks running concurrently in the past. Now I just have one 29 gallon setup. I currently have a few corydoras fry I'm raising and the plants are doing well with one anubias nana beginning to flower underwater.

WARNING: I'm a bit of an aquarium snob know-it-all so please don't take this the wrong way I have some bad news.

Some of those fish will get too big. Gouramis need quite a bit of room for territory. Blue gouramis get 5+ inches I think gold are just a variant so probably the same. The pleco could get 10+ inches or more.

17 watts for a 29 gallon tank (which is somewhat tall in shape) is not nearly enough for plants, except maybe the most low-light of them all (i.e. java moss and java fern). I think cryptocoryne might not even be happy with less than one watt per gallon. Perhaps you can get some natural sunlight on the tank a few hours a day?

To grow plants you should try to have around 2 watts per gallon which will allow you to grow most plants. I would suggest a light fixture that has a 55w compact flourescent bulb in it. I have used compact flourescents for a long time there might be better bulbs out there now (never tried T bulbs or LEDs).

When you increase the light you need to increase the fertilization (liquid, I prefer Yamato Green) and also start introducing carbon dioxide to maintain good plant growth (via yeast reactor), otherwise the algae comes in!

Share pictures of the plants I'll tell you what they most likely are. I have a banana plant the kids think it is hilarious and ask if they can eat the tubers. Rest it on bottom, don't plant, and expect shoots to reach the surface like a lily pad if it hasn't yet.

Plenty of water changes and water tests, if the plants are slow growers or light-starved they are not helping cycle the tank at all.

Oh and awesome stand I wish I had wood working skills like that, I need to build a cap on my tank as the wife is tired of looking at the light/filters.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 07:55
I'm aware the gouramis will be rather large, I thought I was getting all dwarfs. Then I noticed the spots and looked them up.

Quote: "The pleco could get 10+ inches or more."

It's technically an ancistrus, which only get about 6" I've read.

I'm new to aquarium plants, so I'll take any advice I can since so far I don't appear to be doing too well.

I want my tank to look like this!
http://www.okeanosgroup.com/blog/aquariums/is-that-an-underwater-waterfall-yes/

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 13:19
@ tiresius:

It's been awhile for me, so thanks for the input!

That image reminds me of a tank by Takashi Amano. Very nice.

-Keith

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2013 19:22
I take care of my dear mothers 400 liter tank.

By now its a well planted, pretty to look at self-contained universe that is really little work. It took me a long time to grow the plants exactly the way I wanted them and its very decorative now.

The population used to vary but is consistent of a cory family, moonfishes/platys and some zebra loaches.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 04:06
Ancistrus, right! I'm scared of any suckermouths bigger than an otocinclus!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2013 04:52
Otos are pretty cute; used to have half a dozen or so in one tank.

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 08:09:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 08:09:37