Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Vector graphics?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 09:30
Does AppGameKit vector images? What are the support image formats?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 10:32
Only pixel based images.

I don't know all formats supported but PNG and JPG are the only ones I care about and JPG only in rare occasions. PNG is the superior format if you want high quality images with transparency.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 10:48
I typically go with PNG, but I was hoping there was a format I could use for better scaling.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2013 13:12
maybe u can use/convert to a flat polygon object but its 3d then.
for 2d look u need a orthogonal view.

AGK 108 B19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 10:53
I tend to use png. I then work out what the maximum size needed will be, and create them at that resolution. Disk space for images is cheap.

The only problem I have had is where I needed very large letters and it would have been a problem to load an entire alphabet in Mega-XXL. That's when I came up with this method to get around the problem.

Another alternative is to have the same graphic at different sizes if it becomes too demanding on texture memory.

Having said all that, +1 for vector graphics. I don't know how practical it is in a game engine, but it would be nice to have for puzzle games etc.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2013 18:26
Vector graphics are unfortunately unsupported by way too many things.
I'd love to be able to use vector SVGs for stuff like text and especially websites! Also it would be great if we had some way to measure the device size like EMs. I'd love to have my menu items be the height of a finger tip on all devices, but instead I've had to go with an average (which is pretty big on iPads and a bit tiny on very small devices).

Have you tried using SetGenerateMipmaps? That helped me a lot on some icons and the text, although it can have a bit of overhead (Paul said something like 30% more).

Also are all of your PNGs in sizes of the power of 2?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 06:11
I haven't tried anything. I was just thinking that SVG would be much better at scaling, sharper quality. The thought came to me when I was playing with windows minesweeper. As you resize the window, the blocks appear to be vector-based.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 13:56:13
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 13:56:13