Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / General Advice requested from elders

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 19:19
Hi all,
I am writing to gain advice from people older than myself on the nature of the decay of intellect.
This may seem dark but it is something I am more and more contemplating as time goes on, and all I can really do is ask forward and gather the responses.

Where to begin, I am now 30. I know it is a ripe old age to some, a whippersnapper to others. I have noticed a change in me lately and I wish to get to the bottom of it.
I have noticed a decrease in my capacity, this is undeniable, I have observed my almost infinite ability to run with new information, dwindle to being able to relate new information to existing structures. This seemed minor at first but has become more significant as time moves on. For a long time I could even integrate quickly, new information summarized through existing pathways and use it creatively and spontaneously.

Lately I seem to have reach a noticeably new phase in my development-or progression.

I can only describe it as such.

I might have a beautiful idea, a means to implement it, am initial burst of energy, then I fall Asleep.
I wake up feeling tired. As a result I doze. I can force myself to wake up and act for work purposes but whenever I am not working I feel a desperate need for sleep. When I am not at work I can form ideas, I can begin to implement them, but then out of seemingly nowhere, I feel exhausted and cannot fight fatigue. I fall asleep and have massive trouble waking back up. This is the problem I face. I am always tired now. Tired to the point where I cannot seem to complete anything of my own construction. I wish to learn, but I fall asleep while reading. As a result my reading is fractured and I seem to be doomed to repeat the integration of new information.
Is this A life phase that I need to adjust to? Something that we all go through and have to come to terms with?
I find I cannot even concentrate on my own goals anymore, my mind slips to blank where it can rest for a while.

Does this sound familiar?
It bothers me that I am harnessing a fraction of the productivity I once seemed to possess.
Now that I write this and read back over it, this doesn’t sound right. It seems that there is something wrong. I have not gone back and deleted any of this so you may better see me the way I am and relate this to yourself.
Am I losing it? Or am I aging naturally?
I really cannot tell.
Anything you can add will be appreciated.
Kezzla

Ok, Jokes over, No more eye burn.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 01:10
Frankly I'm starting to feel the same way and I'm only 23. This could all be a complex psychological thing in which case you might want to talk to a psychologist, but not everything is about neural pathways and mental structures. Are you eating properly? Do you have a regular sleep schedule? What about exercise? All these things help to give you more energy and to release it consistently rather than in bursts.

My two cents. I am no elder of course.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 04:27
Try reading more books on various subjects and genres. I seem to suffer from a similar malady, and I highly suspect it is lack of stimulus.

-Keith

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 05:19 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 05:26
It's not age, you may be suffering from a general malaise or mild ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) which was trendy a few years back and everybody just had to have it. You can have fatigue due to recent illness, or currently coming down with, mostly virus related such as flu or cold.

You might simply be a little depressed as it's winter, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) Since you seem able to concentrate when at work I suspect you are merely marginally depressed and it's not illness related, though if you continue to pursue it as something seriously wrong with you then you will become ill for real.

You don't suddenly age at thirty losing all your faculties like that, age is a slow process where most folks don't even notice gradual deterioration, when they do though, they rant on and on about it as if it just occurred. Age itself is no indicator of mental deterioration, some of the illnesses that come with it are though, such as Dementia etc.

Your just a little off with the stress of xmas etc.
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 12:38
Sounds like you need a good break to me. Have you been working hard over the past few years, perhaps doing more than you should?

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 14:08 Edited at: 30th Dec 2013 14:11
Allow me to add a suggestion altough I'm younger: you might lack something in your diet and start to have symptoms. A mineral, a vitamin...something like that. There are bloodtests for this.

Anytime your body and mind are lacking a mineral or vitamin its getting tired and weak.

Quote: "I feel exhausted and cannot fight fatigue. I fall asleep and have massive trouble waking back up."

I had this back when I was suffering from depression at the age of 19. It fell from me as I got rid of said depression. Another "easy" cure. What matters is that it isn't something neurological!

I hope its something as simple as this! Best luck and I wish for you to recover soon.

-Wolf

http://www.serygalacaffeine.com
"absurdity has become necessity"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 18:48
Maybe worth looking at your diet - maybe too many carbs and not enough vitamins, try and eat fruit as much as you can when your feeling tired - an apple is just as refreshing as a cup of coffee when your tired.

I am the one who knocks...
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 19:20
Could be a vitamin B deficiency. Do you take supplements? I would try taking vitamin B supplements for a while and see what effect it has. If it's as regular as you say then you should visit your doctor, you could have developed anaemia.

Formerly OBese87.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2013 19:22
On the subject of vitamins; if possible, take the multi-packs...not just a single multivitamin. I also take 5000 IUs (D3) of vitamin D in the winter, as we don't absorb anywhere near the sun we need to produce it naturally.

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 07:13
Quote: "Where to begin, I am now 30. I know it is a ripe old age to some, a whippersnapper to others. I have noticed a change in me lately and I wish to get to the bottom of it."

Same here, 31 very very soon. I've noticed I'm a lot more gassy than I used to be.

Quote: "It bothers me that I am harnessing a fraction of the productivity I once seemed to possess."

Lack of interest or boredom? A feeling of "whats-the-point"? It's kinda how I feel. Heck, I just yelled at some kids to get off the lawn the other day. That's how I knew I was getting old.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 08:56
This sounds like standard depression to me, and it has nothing to do with age.

Bad sleeping patterns can only be battled with discipline, if you fall asleep frequently, even for short bursts and find the times you should be sleeping are times you can not. Then frankly you need to stay awake, even if you are tired. It will hurt for the first few days, but within a week you're body clock will reset and you'll feel better for it.

It's winter here, don't know what it is where you are. This means less sunlight. Grab some SAD bulbs, I always run them in winter and they do make a big difference to me. The light can make you feel quite strange after that dull yellow stuff you're so used to but again within a week you'll hardly notice it.

You are what you eat, yeast extract and toast! Marmite and other yeast extracts have vitamin B12, this helps you burn energy and increases your red blood cell count. Fresh fruit, apples, pears, oranges, etc will help clean out any fat in your system. Reduce salt intake and fat intake, good general advice to help you feel better. If you eat heavy meals, eat smaller amounts more often, after all if your body is spending energy digesting heavy food all at once then it will have less resources for your brain.

Finally THINK POSITIVE! If you expect to be depressed, heavy and tired you will be. Find something to do, and keep doing it until you get out of your slump. This doesn't sound like age to me, merely the hallmarks of a bad lifestyle.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 14:07
Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice.

Diet may have some part in this, erratic work hours mean little time for cooking, I grab food on the go, which is often less than nourishing.

I do have a terrible sleep pattern, however, sadly this is dictated by my work. some roads can only be worked on at night and as a result my schedule is truly 24/7 on call and is always changing.

Seems like my job is a big part of what is wrong. sadly it is the best job I have ever had and am likely to get. I would be a fool to walk away from it.

I am going to start some multivitamins, and I think I will buy a book or two on a completely new subject. Just gotta fight through it.

I guess I had a weak moment after resting for a week and still being too exhausted to complete the goals I had set myself for my two week break.

I might go camping... draw myself out of my head for a while.

Thanks guys.

Ok, Jokes over, No more eye burn.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 18:01 Edited at: 31st Dec 2013 18:03
Don't take vitamins unless your doctor actually recommends you do due to some sort of disorder. Recent scientific research shows they are not effective and may kill you early by ruining your kidneys/liver. Instead, eat a healthy diet, cut out sugar as much as possible (that could definitely be you're problem if you drink or eat more than a small amount). If you must have sweets, eat as much fruit as you like. Fruit is safe to eat in large quantities whereas juice and sodas will mess you right up.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2013 21:03
No it's not a normal part of aging. People here have touched on some good possibilities, but go see a Doctor !!

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 08:47
Multi-vitamins a a great way of making some very expensive pee. Soluble vitamins just leave the body every time you take a bathroom break. I'm assuming you drive for a living, if that's the case you're better off just keeping fruit around, or just make a nice big cheese and salad sandwich. A good old fashioned packed lunch should be pretty quick to make, delicious and see your concentration improve.

Tesco do a decent frozen cous cous salad, microwave it for 4 minutes in the morning, throw it into a sealable tub and scoff it down whenever you like. This is what I do when I go through my apathetic stages. Innocent also do vegetable pots, they are expensive, but again I used to keep a few around to make sure I ate something decent. On that score innocent (or a cheaper brand) smoothies are another useful trick.

Hell, buy a pile of fruit, throw it in a blender with some yogurt, shove it in big cup and drink it throughout the day.

Plenty of common sense alternatives to those little $$$ wee wee makers they call multivitamins.

Also digestive biscuits are great for energy boosts, you get that initial kick from the sugar, and the wholemeal flour is slow burning, they'll help even out your blood sugar throughout the day.

My final suggestion if you are really going through a low-motivation phase, and you have a bit of cash to fling around then www.graze.com do daily snack boxes with seeds, dried fruit, olives, crackers, things like that. They are pretty tasty, and it's fun finding out what they sent you that day. It can be a bit pricy though. An alternative, though I've never used them might be http://www.savioursnacks.com/ I have never tried them so I am not recommending them. But they have a similar sort of product line the difference is you get a large box every week/ fortnightly/ monthly and you just dole out the snacks yourself.

Hope you feel better.

Remember, SAD bulbs often help with winter blues.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 09:31 Edited at: 1st Jan 2014 09:33
I've heard of the new studies on multivitamins; though to be fair, there are always new studies on most everything we consume...sometimes flipping around the results of a previous study.

I will say that if you have a well-balanced diet; vitamins probably aren't too important. Your doctor can order up blood work to see where your levels are at, if you're that concerned.

I do stick by my assertion on vitamin D however (B-complex vitamins are the ones that make you pee nuclear yellow), especially in the winter...for my previously mentioned reason. I saw a definite difference in my energy levels (less tired) in two days of taking it.

Quote: "Hell, buy a pile of fruit, throw it in a blender with some yogurt, shove it in big cup and drink it throughout the day."

Actually; that's sound advice. I used to ride my bike to work, when I was stationed in Germany for 3 years (about 5 miles or more, one way). Each morning, I would make a concoction of the following: Red-Ruby Grapefruit juice, yogurt, strawberries (frozen or fresh), blueberries (frozen or fresh), and a third (ever changing) fruit. It really made a difference, combined with my morning ride. A combination of decent exercise (at least 30 minutes solid, not including stretching before and after), good nutrition, and regular sleep (at regular/consistent hours) is really all you need to start noticing a difference in your overall health. Regular checkups with your doctor should be done as well; as we don't age in reverse.

-Keith

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 10:44 Edited at: 1st Jan 2014 10:45
Pertaining to the multi vitamins, I hear it's a good idea to simply break them up into smaller pieces and take those throughout the day. A natural vitamin source like the recommended fruit is also a good idea.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2014 21:15 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2014 06:21
As we understand more about our world, our notions of reality as determined by science do change. That's why it's science and not religion. You should consult your doctor before taking *any* supplements.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 00:42 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2014 00:49
I'm not an *older* member, in fact, I'm only 24, but I can relate to some of what you're saying. Possible it could be your diet or something related to your lifestyle. Some of these are also symptoms of depression. I don't think I've told anybody here, but I am having an issue with it at the moment.

It may not be and may be something else, but the NHS website provides some useful info for you Linky.

Of course, it could just be related tiredness, having the right diet and exercise can help and getting the right sleep. Exercise boosts your metabolism, a healthy diet can provide you with more long term improvements to energy - caffeine and energy drinks are a bad idea, I used to have an addiction and it isn't worth it. I actually find eating more greens and general non-starchy veg does help me (I still eat starchy vegetables, because I LOVE parsnips, but they don't really have health benefits, nor are they bad for you) - obviously you don't eat on their own, there's way of working them in without feeling like a rabbit. If you're like me and eat a lot of Italian, Indian and Oriental food, then you can actually sneak veg in and for it not be noticeable. For example, my Bologna tends to have carrot and celery in it - I've also been using leaner meat as I'm trying to lose weight as well and have also stopped using oil for that reason (surprisingly makes a big difference).

Also a bit more fruit, not the 5-day nonsense, but having a banana or an apple with your lunch or something like that. Don't cut out junk but obviously have it in moderation. Eating something like a salad once in a while is good. I would say energy-wise I have felt better since taking the diet that I am on.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 05:35
I have heard of the benefits of coffee as well; perhaps in moderation. I continue to drink one cup a day; the same could be said for a glass of red wine daily, or every other day.

Also of note; don't remember where I read it, but apparently, eating your fruit on an empty stomach (before eating anything else in the meal) is best. This way it doesn't stagnate on top of other food, waiting to get into the digestive tract.

-Keith

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 09:04
I know that having diabetes can cause you to feel tired, due to having too high or too low a blood sugar level, this is from having it myself. It is another possibility but I hope it isn't for you, no one deserves being ruled by diabetes. Although it might be worth getting a blood test for it, but only if you also feel sick and are having trouble eating and are peeing a lot.
Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 09:41 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2014 09:44
Quote: "Also of note; don't remember where I read it, but apparently, eating your fruit on an empty stomach (before eating anything else in the meal) is best. This way it doesn't stagnate on top of other food, waiting to get into the digestive tract."

Is it just me or does this make a lot of sense? When I consider that the stomach is full of acid (and acid doesn't actually help with digestion from what I've read, it's more of a self defence, kill those germs thing) then the less time the various compounds spend soaking in it, the less damage will be done.

I'll have to start eating the veg before stogy stuff like bread and flour based products. Which is possibly a better idea anyway as it's mostly just filling.

Quote: "I have heard of the benefits of coffee as well; perhaps in moderation. I continue to drink one cup a day; the same could be said for a glass of red wine daily, or every other day."

I never touch the stuff, it's one of those things that in moderation is probably fine. It's the addictive qualities that worries me, and I've got something of an addictive personalty. Tends to be the reason I'll never gamble, drink, smoke or do drugs (he says watching yet another anime marathon while he types), so on this basis I avoid anything I feel might be addictive, except of course for breathing. I quite like breathing

On the plus side, this kind of personality really does help when you're writing a book, program, game, etc lol. Sometimes I just can't put that damn keyboard down, the side effect is that I can spend 12 hours constantly staring at the screen if I'm not strict with myself.

Anyway the general point is, we all have weaknesses and worries. The best thing we can do is accept ourselves for who we are, try to obtain some kind of balance in our lives, and find accomplishments in positive tasks that'll benefit others not just yourself. Perhaps via some kind of inter-co-operation we might find that balance somewhat easier.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 11:19
After reading other comments, and what you've further said, it could be a simple combination of your lack of sleep and poor diet.

When I was coming up on the final weeks of my senior year in college, I was also working a new salaried job, both full time. After school was done and I got a few evenings of rest and stress-free relaxation, a friend told me I seemed way better. I didn't quite realize during those weeks I was different, but apparently my intelligence took a noticeable drop.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2014 23:51
Quote: "Also of note; don't remember where I read it, but apparently, eating your fruit on an empty stomach (before eating anything else in the meal) is best. This way it doesn't stagnate on top of other food, waiting to get into the digestive tract."

I have heard that too, and also that fruit helps activate your digestion (like an appetizer) so eating a piece of fruit before a meal will help you digest the meal better.

I have been cutting down on fatty foods and eating more fruit and I feel much better. I have never been that health conscious, although I tend to like healthy food anyway (in addition to cakes and lard!), but since last year we had a really big crop of apples so I started eating three or four apples for breakfast and whenever I felt hungry I'd grab an apple just because they were there, and I felt pretty good after a few days. That made me research into fruitarianism and raw veganism, I don't think I will ever go that far but I've incorporated some of it into my diet and it is having a positive effect. I always used to feel drowsy and low-energy, now I know that it was my diet causing that.

Formerly OBese87.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2014 00:29
Quote: "so eating a piece of fruit before a meal will help you digest the meal better.
"

I didn't realise I was eating bananas the wrong way.

No, it's not a euphemism. I just always eat it after I've eaten my sandwich or soup or whatever.

Quote: "I have been cutting down on fatty foods and eating more fruit and I feel much better. I have never been that health conscious, although I tend to like healthy food anyway (in addition to cakes and lard!), but since last year we had a really big crop of apples so I started eating three or four apples for breakfast and whenever I felt hungry I'd grab an apple just because they were there, and I felt pretty good after a few days. That made me research into fruitarianism and raw veganism, I don't think I will ever go that far but I've incorporated some of it into my diet and it is having a positive effect. I always used to feel drowsy and low-energy, now I know that it was my diet causing that."

I don't think you have to health 'conscious' so to speak, but I think a few habitual changes are all you need. I think one of the issues with dieting and one I've found first hand is that the more you focus and try to structure your diet based on some system, particularly calorie or points counting the more it becomes a chore and it's hard to be motivated. Seems the emphasis is put on "dieting", rather that making habitual or lifestyle changes and you generally are limiting yourself in some way and it will certainly feel like it, because you're limited by how many calories you eat in a day, you're limiting the size of your meals or the things on your menu. But you can make changes and substitutes to how you eat and cook that still taste great and it feels a lot less limiting. I've found a substitute for every single one of my vices. Eating out is the biggest challenge, but there's even ways of minimizing the damage - first week on my diet I went out drinking with colleagues, still managed to lose my 6lbs, at the restaurant I had a Lamb Rogan Josh (which is a lot less damaging than say a Chicken Tikka Masala) and at the bars, I kept to spirits because they get you drunk quicker and are lower in calories. That said, I did over do it at the Christmas party...there's a point when you forget how much you're drinking.

Changing a few habits and making a few substitutes makes a big difference. Lean meat, don't cook with oil (oil can be substituted for low calorie cooking spray, but there's ways to cook without the need to use oil), instead of frying, grill, eat extra lean meat, cut the fat off of meat when you can (even bacon, you can actually buy bacon medallions where the fat is already cut off), eat fibre and get your calcium (milk/cheese), have some starch (potatoes, pasta, parsnips, noodles) cut out bread - though if you rely on bread, replace white with wholemeal and you'll cover your fibre content too (I have my fibre from cereals instead), but of course, moderate how much bread you eat, sugar can be replaced with sweeteners, but I can't bring myself to it - I love my tea with sugar. Diet Coke is disgusting at first because your taste buds ain't used to the sweeteners, to be honest the sweeteners they use aren't technically healthy, so really the only healthy alternative is to give up soft drinks all together, but I find if you can't, Pepsi Max and Dr Pepper Zero have been the diet drinks to get it right - given my taste buds no longer sense the initial revolting taste I found with such drinks there isn't a big difference in flavour for me between the sugar free stuff and the real stuff.

The other habitual change is to introduce more fruit and veg, I don't buy the 5-a-day nonsense but a banana with lunch isn't a chore, adding celery & carrots to a bolognase doesn't feel like dieting, throwing in peppers and pak choi into a Chinese enhances the flavour, a roast isn't a roast without cabbage or brocolli - perhaps reduce or cut out stuff and don't eat the fat, and you can pour vegetable gravy over it and eat the veg with your meat to feel less like Linda McCartney. Like a good Curry? Add peas, I hate peas, but there's usually something I can put in it. Perhaps hold back on the cream if you like a creamy curry, but there's no/low fat substitutes - some curries I'll add free free yogurt.

Just about every item has a substitute, my main vice was sausage rolls, but you can get low fat sausages (I like the Weightwatchers ones best as they actually taste nice) and cook them wrapped in wholemeal bread, it makes a huge difference, sure it's not the same as having pastry but they fill the niche nicely.

However, if like me you suffer from a major sweet tooth, you're pretty much open to an infinite supply of Muller Light Yogurts. Sure they have calories, but I don't count calories, I just use these as a substitute for anything sweet and go through these quite quickly without suffering for it. I eat the toffee flavour a lot. They're incredibly light, but taste awesome as Muller yogurts always do, frankly I can't tell the difference in flavour between light and non-light Muller.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 20:50
Luckily I don't like most soft drinks anyway, they are usually far too sweet for me. I have just cracked open a bottle of amber ale though.

As for eating more fruit and vegetables, I've found it surprisingly easy to eat almost exclusively fruit and vegetables. Apparently I just eat whatever is in the house!

Have you tried honey in tea/coffee? It's very nice and supposedly honey is much better for you than processed sugar.

Why not try making your own sausage rolls? I bet even the cheapest ingredients would be much better than the "who knows what" that goes into supermarket ones, and it can't be too hard right? Hmm, I might try that sometime actually.

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 20:56
Lol, honey is pretty much the same as high fructose corn syrup in chemical composition. So I hear...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 21:21
I've made my own sausage rolls before, it is a good idea, the down side is in order to make puff pastry you are using a lot of butter and that's where it can be a problem if you're trying to lose weight. However, I will use wholemeal bread instead, it still tastes nice, granted it's not the same as puff pastry, but is a viable alternative.

I hadn't thought about honey...that said, it will be hard for me to break that bond with sugar in my tea, it's not a problem though, it wasn't really an area in my diet that needed improving.

Anyhow, I have got back on track after that whole Christmas period now. Cooked a bolognase using extra lean mince, celery, tomato, onion, garlic passata and puree with some spaghetti and of course a variation of herbs and spices. The celery is chopped finely and is pretty much in disguise, that said I like the taste of it in my meals anyway.

For lunch it was a home made chicken & noodle soup with carrots and celery. It was pretty decent. I had some whole meal bread with it as I skipped breakfast and didn't get my fibre.

It's a method that's been working for me for the last few months.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 22:01 Edited at: 4th Jan 2014 22:07
DJD: I think high fructose corn syrup is banned here in the UK. I found this article about honey that you might find interesting, especially this paragraph that links to what you said:
Quote: "Although discerning the full effects of individual honey-based compounds is many research years out, it looks like honey with lower levels of bioactive compounds acts more like regular sugar while honey with higher levels of compounds acts more like a whole food. In one study (PDF), buckwheat honey was found to be the richest in phenolics and flavonoids, while rapeseed (yes, canola) honey was found to have the lowest number of compounds. The researchers didn’t explore the metabolic effects of the two honeys, but another study did find that people who ate rapeseed honey, but not acacia honey, displayed highly elevated levels of serum fructose. The same thing happens when you eat HFCS. That tells me the bioactive compounds are probably responsible for the “benefits” of honey."

So it seems that low quality honey is as bad as HFCS but the good stuff is healthy. I wonder which of those my honey is.

Sep: sounds good man, try adding some carrot and zucchini/courgette to that bolognese, and olives are awesome in there too. Do you use red onions or white? Reds are healthier.

[honey conspiracy update]
Now I find this: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2013/08/disturbing-link-high-fructose-corn-syrup-honey.html
Quote: "High fructose corn syrup, that sweet over-produced commodity of agribusinesses everywhere, has been linked in two miserable ways to bees and honey. The first discovery was made almost two years ago, and the second only 2 months ago. First, most of the “honey” available for purchase in supermarkets is not really honey, but instead an ultra-filtered impostor often produced in China, and frequently contains high fructose corn syrup. Secondly, honey-producing bees in their hives are being fed high fructose corn syrup instead of their own honey, and new research has linked this practice to colony collapse disorder."

we need to go deeper...

Formerly OBese87.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2014 22:13
Quote: "Sep: sounds good man, try adding some carrot and zucchini/courgette to that bolognese, and olives are awesome in there too. Do you use red onions or white? Reds are healthier."

I normally use carrot, but felt pretty lazy cooking this evening, so couldn't be bothered to peel them. I used white, but I usually jump between using white and red, depends on what I feel like.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 09:04:08
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 09:04:08