Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How do you adjust the sound on your PC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2014 23:46
Kinda poll.

You have:
Level 2. In-game sound settings.
Level 1. Windows sound settings.
Level 0. Buttons or wheel on your speakers.

What do you use to adjust the sound?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 00:14
combination of all 3

Whose eyes are those eyes?
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 01:28 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 12:55
I have a G700 mouse:

I bound the bottom two buttons (G5,G4) to control the volume.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 01:41
budokaiman that is a very large picture in the non-beta forums

I have a mixamp that controls my volume via a few input feeds. It has a master volume control and then a balance control between voice and game sound. I also have a volume rocker on my keyboard that can be used to turn down everything at once if needed.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 02:04 Edited at: 13th Jan 2014 02:08
The trick is that some media have very quiet sound (or extra loud) and speakers's adjusting controls have different sensivity based on windows output sound.

Here is approxiamte example:
a) youtube 50% + windows 50% = 25% sound output power, speakers' wheel sensivity is 180' degrees (where 180' is very loud).
b) youtube 100% + windows 100% = 100% sound output power, speakers' wheel sensivity is 15' degrees (where just 15' is very loud!).

I.e. master audio adjusting steps are dynamic.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 03:11
I generally adjust both the system sound and speakers (if using, although I prefer to use headphones). I'll sometimes adjust the settings in the app/game if I need it particularly quiet for some reason.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 05:19
I have volume controls on my keyboard and just use those.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I do what Budokaiman does... exactly... with the same mouse. Although I do have to adjust in game volumes occasionally while using my headset so I can hear my friends talk on Steam.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 09:40
Technically, you should max out in-game and pc sound then adjust speakers/amp if quality is what you're after (signal strength to speakers is higher), however it's easier to set use in-game at max and use the media keys on your kbd (or map keys if you've an office kbd like me). If your speaker has a decent volume control and you can reach it while sitting back then why not use that for convenience? Ultimately depends on your situation. I have a profile for my gamepad to control volume with L2/R2 for games that don't use them.

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2014 15:13
For me it's easier to adjust the windows volume via shortkeys or the taskbar icon thingy (just click the icon and then use the scroll wheel for adjustments just to be a little fancy ).

So my speakers are set to a reasonably loud volume and then the windows sound turned down below 100% so there's still a little room to go louder without changing the speakers.

In games probably default or adjusted once in the options menu. I like games that put the volume sliders in an accessible place but not many games do that. In Trackmania 2 you can push the cursor against the top of the screen at any time and get Music / SFX sliders and other miscellanous buttons no matter where you are in game (or in menu). That's nifty. In SolForge the sliders are in the corner of the main menu (and in a CCG you're either ingame or in the main menu pretty much). But other than that I can't think of any game that does something like that which is a shame.

If the sound is less important on a game I might go into the windows volume mixer and turn it down there. Windows will always remember those settings too, so for example whenever I install e.g. Skype it gets instantly muted because I hate the sounds. xD
And it's easier than going into application-specific convoluted menues everytime I just want to mute something for a while.

~RedFlames
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2014 00:30
Quote: "How do you adjust the sound on your PC?"
Very carefully.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 13:21:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 13:21:51