Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / is dark basic dead

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I have to ask,when i originally joined in 2003, before unity, game maker, and app development Darkbasic was the only way for indie development. There use to be an insane amount of traffic, and now this website seems dead. Say it isn't so.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 16:52
I would say Dark Basic is on it's way out, being a windows only language in this day and age of smartphones, it just doesn't fill the market like it used to. But AppGameKit is the next generation, it's basically the same language as DB but can target many different platforms, so TGC is certainly not dead.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 17:26
Seems to be heading that way. Things have moved on and TGC haven't really kept up, as far as I can tell.

Formerly OBese87.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 17:53 Edited at: 19th Jan 2014 17:57
It is deadly dead

Sheesh. Everything is okay.

TGC is a bedroom gamedev community. Our "market" is absent, no matter what local "sofa experts" say. Look at the list of games made here for over a 15 years. They don't look ready for a real market (except few that reach it). They just a nice hobby projects.

And DB will live while Windows lives, I don't think that M$ will "die" tommorow or next hundred of years.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 20:35
I think this is a duplicate thread. Well, I saw one some time ago that was similar.

DBP is not dead just yet because it is free and easy to use. While I doubt any more big sellers will come of it, DBP is ideal for quick-prototyping a game before moving onto a better engine. It gives devs something for YouTube. Furthermore, it has its uses as an educational tool (for teaching bad habbits, but still). As a language, it's actually very friendly, albeit less than consistent and somewhat ambiguous. The compiler is really what needs attention and prolly the libraries too. As for DBP being DX9, I snigger whenever I hear that being a criticism since most modern games still offer DX9 option and, really, imho, graphics don't make or break a game. As for the tablet market, I can't comment as I don't play games on a tablet coz that's what a PC is for (well, that and watching adult film material :3 ).

Also consider that, iirc, FPSC[R] is written in DBP so even if nobody else uses it, TGC will.

Nah, DBP is far from dead; it's just been packed away into an obscurity wardrobe where it will remain consistently alive for at least 5+ years.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 21:38
Even I have stopped using DBP for future development and been working more with AppGameKit lately.

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
I keep hitting dead ends with AppGameKit as it's unfinished, though it shows great promise. I am looking forward to new versions.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 22:54 Edited at: 19th Jan 2014 22:55
I don't mind that DBPro is getting used less and less, I really use it because it's so easy to prototype with. But what frustrates me is seeing the forums themselves die... since less and less people are using dark basic, the forums have died down a ton. I remember when it seemed like every single thread always had active users and it was a challenge to keep your thread even on the first page. Now, even in the most visited boards such as WIP, the top threads have latest posts that are days, even weeks old. We just don't have the active community we used to have and that makes me sad because this forum is one of the reasons I really got into game development.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 09:33
That's not Basic's fault that people doing nothing these days. It is a new trend - being consumer rather than creator. And people with all that brand new "technologies" became lasy. Checking facebook page is more interesting than reading a book. Coding? Meh, who needs coding. As a proof - all modern games have infinite health to not allow player to loose. I hope I was clear enough to be understanded.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 10:00
In general I think indie development has taken a knock - maybe the superstar indie developers have finally put people off. Like... nobodies gonna make Notch sorta money these days, the Apple store is about as comforting as a benefits office these days, Steam used to be something to aim for - now it's the same as every other marketplace for indie games, if you ain't Jonathan Blow or Team Meat, then forget about receiving any type of support.

Too many sharks in the tank. I think people who would by trying to create their own games, are now making youtube videos, doing 12 hour play feeds so other people can watch them while they make 13 hour play feeds for people to watch while they play games or make 14 hour play feeds for people who have time to play games and watch videos for 15 hours rather than spending that time constructively... wheeeze

The other thing is that learning hurdle, it takes a while to learn how to make games, mainly because everyone has to work their own way, it's not something that can really be taught easily. On top of learning that, there's the language to learn as well, and it takes a determined mind to get through all that. The desire to make games verses the time it takes to learn, and the constant doubts take their toll.

But, as a language, I still use DBPro - I don't have any game projects going on, but I made a very nifty sprite editor. It's a workhorse language now, really multi-platform is vital but we all still need tools and editors and DBPro is certainly a good option for that.

I think it's less about the capabilities of DBPro, and more about the reality of indie development and competing in a market that is slowly being dragged away from us... sometimes by people who inspired us in the first place!

I am the one who knocks...
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 10:14
Van B, well said! Your point is better than mine. Also addictive Minecraft steal many creative people's time, time that could be spended on a developing.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 13:53 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 13:55
Well said but completely wrong.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/7/5282796/starbound-hits-more-than-one-million-copies-sold

Darkbasic is dead because TGC hasn't kept up with the likes of unity, monkey, purebasic, stencyl or game maker and there's probably others. TGC has forgotten its base, BASIC programmers. When you're told that a fundamental feature like OOP won't be implemented because it's "too complicated" for BASIC programmers, you've lost your base.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 14:43
No. Like if everyone here will recive right now a copy of Unity they would make a successfull commercial games? Puff - here is Minecraft 2? Puff - here is Portal 3? Puff puff? No. DBP allows you to make really good games but we still enjoying being a hobbyists.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 14:50 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 14:50
Quote: "Like if everyone here will recive right now a copy of Unity they would make a successfull commercial games? Puff - here is Minecraft 2? Puff - here is Portal 3? Puff puff? No. DBP allows you to make really good games but we still enjoying being a hobbyists."

That's the thing, DBP pretty much can't be used to make commercial games anymore unless you're extremely talented and/or have direct access to modify the engine. Who wants to make a game for windows xp and limited support for windows 7/8 when you could use another engine that's truly cross compatible? AppGameKit is still decent, but the fact that the compiler itself isn't being improved means it's dead to us Basic programmers.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 14:54
I'm wrong because there's an indie project that sold lots of copies?

I don't get it.

What has that got to do with DB?, what has OOP got to do with DB?

It sounds more to me like you have something to say about the lack of OOP and are using this thread as a soap box. Often people will say I'm completely wrong with this stuff, that's ok though because it is results that matter at the end of the day.

This is coming from someone who uses Game Maker, Purebasic, C++/XCode... and I certainly don't feel like DBPro is lacking anything that these programs are supposed to provide. OOP is overkill for most projects here, it would take a ton of work to implement in DBPro and make it more difficult to learn. I'm guessing I'll be wrong about this as well, maybe you can take the time to explain exactly why DBPro should have OOP... an informed opinion - please don't just paste in some trifle from a C# forum. The notion that Game Maker and Purebasic are better for game creation than DBPro because they have OOP is completely laughable and I refuse to believe anyone actually thinks that.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 15:08 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 15:15
I guess I'm more talking about AppGameKit than Dark Basic. In my mind AppGameKit itself kills dead DBP. For certain once AppGameKit has a decent set of 3d commands.

In terms of usefulness of DBP, I'm sure it can be used to make new games. The fact that the compiler itself isn't updated anymore, doesn't particularly comply with windows 7/8, and the fact that other compilers out there can do everything AppGameKit and DBPRO can do combined, and have the features of a modern programming language, like arrays in types (lol), and pointers, means that AppGameKit and DBP just aren't good enough to maintain a large userbase.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 15:16
I agree with Van B and I think the notion that DBPro is broken without OOP is completely wrong. Dark basic is a hobbyist language, that's what it has always been. The ability to rapidly program something is one of dark basic's only benefits, to be honest, and the simplicity of the language even if it is outdated reflects that.

I don't think the decrease in activity on the forum is entirely due to the decline of dark basic though. People have gotten lazy. Our attention spans have been shortened, and now it's too much effort to spend time to post on the forums. We want something instant. My generation has grown up way to impatient for a forum and the older generation is leaving because they have families to take care of, work, lives... The fact that there is less activity now is creating a spiral - people see there is no activity, and therefore there is no incentive to post.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 15:46
DBPro fell behind the times long, long ago if you ask me. The language itself never really went any further in functionality than bog-standard BASIC, and I think that's a real shame. Lee didn't even add simple features such as passing arrays to functions, passing by reference, returning multiple values, etc. because he said he didn't want to "risk breaking the compiler". If not for this a lot of very useful functionality could have been added, including the above, integrated matrix/vector/quat types that work with standard mathematical operators, events, and so much more. These days it's not hard to find a hobbyist language that has all these features, and isn't any harder to use.

Also, IMHO one very important mistake they made was releasing upgrades as separate products (advanced terrain, etc.) instead of part of the core product, so it never advanced. It may have made them some quick money in the short term but their flagship product suffered as a result.

R.I.P. DBPro
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 16:01
It's a case of experience I think, when it comes down to language capabilities.

If your language doesn't have arrays in types, you use different array setups, you end up wasting space, but it's not as if our games have a big footprint so I don't see it as a major thing. I'd like to be able to say, give a character their own inventory, or store an A* route, or a more dynamic properties system. Without arrays in types, we just think differently about how to achieve things. I wouldn't abandon a project just because I had to do a bit more memory management, or bloat things - DBPro's lack of arrays in types doesn't make it redundant. Same goes for pointers - a lot of languages like C++ love pointers, they can really help with performance and give much more control to the coder - but not strictly vital for DBPro games.

I think that there is just less eyes on the forum... it's not like we are bereft of projects - but there's a definite decline in the number of people checking threads. Maybe we need to spend a little more time trying other peoples work, checking threads and WIPs - breathe some life into the forum. It's not just this forum, niche forums all over the place are suffering - Again I put it down to the changing face of online gaming and game blogging. Maybe TGC should have a channel about game development - like a fly on the wall video of Lee working on FPSC:R, or Paul working on AGKv2, guest videos, links to blogs, game dev series, Kickstarters...
It seems to me that things are changing and maybe us smaller indies and hobbyists are being left behind.

As for Win8, well Ideally, the development of FPSC:R will force Lee to re-think DBPro's DLL spread - if we could get just a single DLL to package with our stuff that takes care of Win7 and Win8 requirements, then that would be great. I mean - TGC will be targetting the Win8 market - we just have to hope that any advances with the engine get carried onto us. Releasing a PC title that doesn't work 100% in Win8 would be financial suicide - I am certain that something will happen with that issue before FPSC:R is released.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 18:46
Quote: "The other thing is that learning hurdle, it takes a while to learn how to make games,"

And I think that may be more prevalent today than maybe when many of us started coding. Kids today look at these massive titles being created and might wonder how they could possible make that. They are huge projects and at first glance, game development can appear overwhelming. But I started programming in the 90s, 3D was still a new concept in programming. You didn't worry about shaders and stencil shadows, and complex AI. It was easier to wrap your head around because games were much simpler back then. Back then, I could impress people with a pacman clone. Today, I think it takes much more to impress an audience.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes it is dead... -_-

_!!!!_
,0~U -Well I do say, its been quite a fancy forum for
__-____TheZachadoodle.________________________________
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 19:37
I don't think the design of the language has much to do with it. OOP has been around for decades and yet DB/DBP still used to be popular despite not being OOP. So the compiler features are only scratching the surface.

I'm inclined to agree with VanB, indie game development has been taken to a new level, not just as a matter of technology (which TGC is trying to keep up with, with AGK), but from a business standpoint as well. With services like Steam and Kickstarter, and super popular games like Angry Birds and Minecraft, suddenly it's become a competitive industry. And the key word there is "industry".

Indie game dev used to be a hobbyist's pleasure, but now everyone wants to get rich and famous off it. I'll confess myself that the virus has infected me too, I find it difficult to simply work on a game for the sake of my own enjoyment. I've seen people who were once on the same level with me (and anyone else here), suddenly pull in millions and become known all over the world. Am I justified in feeling like my work just isn't worth the same as theirs? I know I shouldn't feel so, but feelings have nothing to do with logic. And I bet I'm not the only one who thinks so.

To be an indie developer means something different these days, than what it used to, and I think TGC is falling behind because of this cultural trend. And it's a shame.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 21:05 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 21:14
Quote: "DBP pretty much can't be used to make commercial games anymore"

Are you trying to say that the only game that is worth to develop is AAA-type game with $$$ budget?

Quote: "Indie game dev used to be a hobbyist's pleasure, but now everyone wants to get rich and famous off it."

This.

This post is addressed to anyone as my thoughts are melted through the thread.

Also, what player cares of what type of arrays are inside of game? No-one.

DBP is a tool. Tool is not a game. A game is a game. If you want to make a good game - you will make it "even" on DBP.

DBP allows to make game from scratch with ease.
Wanna see how OpenGL code for just soft particles looks like?

I am happy that I choosed Dark Basic Classic back then and Pro now. I don't want to touch C with a 20 feet stick.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 21:41
Quote: "Are you trying to say that the only game that is worth to develop is AAA-type game with $$$ budget?"
I'm sure he's not - Just that DBP is slow, inefficient and Windows-only (and quite buggy on anything later than XP).
It's still fine for just using as a hobby, it just isn't really suitable for making anything commercial anymore.

I love making games, I do it because it's fun, not because I just want to "get rich and famous", but I want people to be able to play my games - using a tool that lacks many modern features and just cuts out a large portion of your potential market just seems silly

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 00:04 Edited at: 21st Jan 2014 00:04
Quote: "It's still fine for just using as a hobby, it just isn't really suitable for making anything commercial anymore."

That's it exactly. Why use it in your hobby when the other, similar products in the marketplace do it all? IMO TGC needs to catch up and fast.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 00:07
In my humble opinion, OOP in DBP would be a waste of time. The only thing DBP needs language wise is better memory access operations and a more consistent, less ambiguous dialect. In any case, I think many coders today use OOP for the sake of OOP, even when completely unnecessary but I blame trends for that.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 00:14
Quote: "In my humble opinion, OOP in DBP would be a waste of time. The only thing DBP needs language wise is better memory access operations and a more consistent, less ambiguous dialect. In any case, I think many coders today use OOP for the sake of OOP, even when completely unnecessary but I blame trends for that."

Yes because as a programmer of Basic dialects for over 10 years I would use OOP for the sake of OOP.

Anyway, OOP is not the point. The point is that darkbasic has not evolved even to the point of fixing existing bugs in the compiler. TGC should make the DBP compiler itself open source. They should make all their broken plugins that we paid for open source so we can fix them.

Short of that, DBP is dead in my eyes.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 06:45
I agree that DBP is pretty dead - it's why I switched over to the Unity Engine. I can develop stuff so much faster in Unity, it makes my head spin.

However, AppGameKit looks like it could be really promising, but it needs to catch up fast - it's been around for 3 years and is just starting to get better 3D functionality.

Come check out my new website!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 07:03
I got tired of the language constrictions, particularly the headache that was passing a UDT around and maintaining any sort of modularity. So I went to SDL2/SFML/Ogre/etc. I'd rather try Unity or UDK before I tried using DBP/DGDK.

Boulderdash
Years of Service
User Offline
Is DB dead? What about windows 95 ?

Out with the old, in with the new
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 09:59
Quote: "and Windows-only"

As most of the other games (excluding console versions). Or you want Windows game run on Android? Not backwards, like Angry birds did. Nobody do that, only a special version, that is not same Windows game.

Quote: "(and quite buggy on anything later than XP)."

Currently I don't know about any bugs on W7 and I would like to hear anything that I may encounter. Please, do.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 10:07
If you turn off UAC in windows 7, and get the right version of the DX redistributable, then it should be fine. Ideally, you'd have all your projects on a separate drive - because otherwise it becomes a pain, with the only decent option to put your projects folder inbeside MyDocuments, so it has the correct permissions. When using an extra drive, there are less issues with it I've found. When you start up DBPro, just making some test code and trying to compile might not work - better to start an empty DBA (make a text file then call it whatever.dba), and start a project that way, from the location that you have permission for already. If it tries to make a program and run it in a 'restricted' area, then it'll have problems. So - it might not appear to work as it should, but then loading a project and compiling it should be fine as long as you avoid using drive C.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 10:13
Quote: "Yes because as a programmer of Basic dialects for over 10 years I would use OOP for the sake of OOP."

Maybe you wouldn't but others surely would. I've seen some nightmarish code that is so convoluted my poor, limited, procedural intellect can't keep up. In a language like DBP, I can only imagine what things would look like in the wrong hands. As for the code output from a TGC compiler, I don't even want to imagine what would be produced by supporting OO stuff.
I do agree with your second point regarding open-source-ing the lot since TGC clearly aren't doing anything about the existing problems themselves. Basically, maintain it or open-source so someone else can.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 10:25
Quote: "Currently I don't know about any bugs on W7 and I would like to hear anything that I may encounter. Please, do."

As VanB said, you need to turn UAC off to give it permissions, and directX 9.0c has to be installed manually (and a specific version of it as well). It's quite a lot of faff for your end user, who probably just won't even bother playing your game if it needs that much setup. And I daresay this'll only get worse with Windows 9, 10 etc - compatibility for DX9 and DBP isn't going to get better.

Quote: "As most of the other games (excluding console versions). Or you want Windows game run on Android?"

Why not? Mobile platforms are getting more and more powerful. There are even games consoles (Ouya, GameStick) that run on Android now. Valve's Steamboxes run Linux. Other platforms are starting to gain ground for games now, and I'd much rather make my game available on as many of them as possible.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 10:40
Van B, Blobby 101 thanks!

Quote: "Mobile platforms are getting more and more powerful."

I would like to play GTA4 at maximum graphic settings (as on PC). Touchér?

Anyway mobile platform would be always worse than PC (PS4, XBO) - because it's size, cooling and cost. That's why I never saw AAA titles ported on linux/android, only if it is sprite or 2,5D adventure/puzzle. Or port/remake of very old game.

Also, I have a perfect argument for DBP = it is not dead while we using it to make something

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 10:55
GTA:SA is pretty awesome on iPad, I only have an iPad2 but SA still impresses the hell out of me, I think it's slightly better than the PS2 version.

I think that mobile gaming is evolving on it's own, and we shouldn't be discounting it or making assumptions - because it will change, and it might even start providing games that even diehard PC gamers take notice of. I mean, the next big thing is gonna be proper VR, head tracking, stereo 3D, good quality 5.1 sound... it'll be a different sport within 3 or 4 years I'd say. The issue with a PC is that a good PC is far from portable - but a tablet, or even just a phone connected to a headset is very portable. If health and safety leave us alone to get on with it, then we'll see some truly amazing games.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 14:18
I remember that TGC has a game creation tool for mobile devices as well. So let DBP walk PC path. I have many chaotic thoughts on what is really happens with PC/android/console market today, I may be wrong, but something tells me that handheld market will not blend with home devices. It just have different purpose - handheld is for 5 minutes gameplay while you waiting a bus; you would not play starcraft at that time - it takes more time and full concentration.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 14:37
I dunno, as I said we shouldn't assume anything about the mobile market.

I can see some sort of convergence in the near future - we already have the BF4 battle commander thing for tablets, and the dog training (waste of time) for GTA5. The indie market will probably not change much, but there is a lot that the big guys like EA and Steam could be doing. Heck, just imagine Fallout4, using your iPhone as a pip boy... or as an actually damn phone in GTA6

Whenever I play DayZ, I have the map open on my iPad - and it's the best option by far... it's not a gimmick or a marketting-crowbar, it's just something that adds to the game, I actually enjoy navigating myself around the map that way - the in-game maps are terrible and having what is basically a paper map in electronic form kinda adds to the whole game.

I'm sure we'll see some pretty cool peripheral use in big games soon, besides just Oculus Rift. I have to say, I'm kinda glad the Kinect era is practically done with - I hated that, complete waste of time and energy. I think kinect was a step too far into pointlessness - need to wind back a bit to when RockBand2 was the height of peripheral gaming, it still is in my book!

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 14:50
Quote: "Heck, just imagine Fallout4, using your iPhone as a pip boy..."

99,9% sure that it will be! Or I will go to Bethesda office and bite their CEO.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Heck, just imagine Fallout4, using your iPhone as a pip boy...""

Now this is an interesting concept!

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:46:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:46:14