Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Chrome cast, anyone use it?

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 21:19
I'm thinking about getting one, maybe. A few things confuse me about it, such as how it connects to your wifi. Since you control the device using a smartphone (on the same wifi network I would assume), how do I even enter a wifi password on the thing in the first place?

Google's website for chromecast is basically useless with zero information. Can I stream a movie from my computer to the device? Or is it strictly limited to youtube and netflix?

MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 02:45
I have a chromecast and it actually works quite well! I'm very happy with it.

When you're setting up the chromecast you do so through: https://cast.google.com/chromecast/setup where you will enter you select a wifi network and enter your password.

You can stream a movie(an .mp4) just by dragging and dropping it into chrome and then casting that tab in chrome to the tv(It will still be running on your device however, but still beats hooking up a cable to the tv).

Otherwise, you can use services like Netflix, Youtube, and potentially future services(Hulu I imagine, but I haven't tried) to stream video.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
I have one as well. At the moment there is alot you cannot do with it, but once they release the SDK, it is going to be awesome.

My primary use for it is to use my smartphone to look up youtube walkthrough videos, chrome cast them to my tv, so I can watch while I play games on my laptop. I have also done Netflix, and playing movies direct from my PC (by dragging into chrome) as well, but some videos won't play in chrome due to codecs and whatnot. Of course, this was all before I got a smart TV with most of that built in, but honestly the "cast" button that appears on my phone is easier to use than the smart TV software, so I end up using chrome cast instead of the built in stuff.

Currently only supported apps can utilize the device, but once the SDK is released, any application to stream to it, including winamp, VLC, etc. When streaming from the Chrome browser, there is a small delay, so I don't see it being used for video games just yet.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 18:50
So it's kind of like a simplified version of Intel's WiDi?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-12 11:04:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-12 11:04:10