Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Domain chache issues

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 22:36
I just renewed my domain, which I forgot expired 2 days ago. And while my website http://zimnox.com appears fine on my laptop right now (and shows up to godaddys tech guy I called), my desktop still keeps showing me the godaddy parked page. I've cleared my cache but no go. And it does this in every browser on my computer, even the ones I never use that shouldn't even have anything cached at all. Why is my desktop not updating my website properly?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 01:23 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 01:24
Try running ipconfig /flushdns

Reboot your router and computer.

Otherwise give it up to 24 hours.

Secondly, set your domains TTL to a low value, like 30 minutes. You wouldn't want your customers waiting 24 hours or something when you change IPs. Lastly, you should switch providers to a company that isn't scum. I recommend Gandi.net. I would hold no domains in the US and I certainly would never recommending supporting Godaddy.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 18:53
Only my domains are with them, my hosting is with another company. But the site is back up.
I don't care much for godaddy's interface, I find it overly complicated for what it does, simply managing my domains. I've had them for many years and their customer service has been pretty good actually. Why does everyone hate them?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 05:54
- Sexiest advertising doesn't concern me.
- The founder shoots elephants, still a poor reason not to use a service. And authorities gave him permission, supposedly to protect crops. This may all be controversial but technically he didn't do anything illegal.
- They support SOPA, ok that might be a reason not to support them! Except an update states godaddy has retracted their support for it.

Other reasons are poor web design and bad customer service. Well I've had good customer service with them. I probably sound like a fanboy right now, but those were pretty poor excuses.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 06:10
I beg to differ.

They buy up any domain after they expire and try to sell it back to you far exceeding the normal price. They buy domains that you search but don't purchase right away and try to sell those to you. They advertise and upsale you every chance they get to the point of being extreme.

Sexism is not acceptable for any company. Whether or not it bothers you is irrelevant. It is not acceptable behaviour for members of a civilized society.

Killing elephants for fun? I mean really.

SOPA support? They only dropped it because of the immense backlash they received. Godaddy helped draft SOPA and were exempt from its rules! This is only the tip of the iceburg. They're a bunch of scoundrels.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 21:48
I, however, do not like the idea, so i will look into these claims and see how much weight they have. which is annoying because Go Daddy is a great service, but I think I may look into alternatives hosts if they hold truth, any recommendations? I would like something with a Microsoft SQL server and supporting ASP.NET.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 23:49
@Seppuku Arts

If you want my personal suggestion use Heart Internet, I used them for years without complaints the support is amazing and they are pretty well priced. I now use mainly dedicated servers but my domains are still with them.

I highly recommend them.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 23:52
Gandi.net is great. They're a little pricier than you're probably used to but they're completely worth it.

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 00:28
Quote: "If you want my personal suggestion use Heart Internet, I used them for years without complaints the support is amazing and they are pretty well priced. I now use mainly dedicated servers but my domains are still with them."

That looks like something right up my street and well priced. Cheers for that.

Quote: "Gandi.net is great. They're a little pricier than you're probably used to but they're completely worth it.
"

I've heard about them and they look great, but no ASP.NET support as far as I can see, shame.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 00:34
Nope. That said, you shouldn't buy your host and domain name from the same provider. If one goes down you still have the other.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 03:45
Quote: "Killing elephants for fun? I mean really."

Well technically it was never proven.

Quote: "Sexism is not acceptable for any company."

Sexism is different than using sex to advertise, like many companies do.

Quote: "
They buy up any domain after they expire and try to sell it back to you far exceeding the normal price. They buy domains that you search but don't purchase right away and try to sell those to you. They advertise and upsale you every chance they get to the point of being extreme."

Any proof of this? I'll look into it.

Gandi is more expensive than godaddy for domain registration.

When SOPA was first introduced, I was off in the army and didn't really keep up on the latest tech news. So I'm behind on the specific details about what went on.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 06:03
Quote: "Any proof of this? I'll look into it."

Yes, happened first hand. I used to be a godaddy customer.

Quote: "Gandi is more expensive than godaddy for domain registration."

Yeah well their slogan comes at a price. A price well worth it if you ask me.

xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 16:08
Quote: "Go Daddy is a great service, but I think I may look into alternatives hosts if they hold truth, any recommendations?"

http://www.hosting24.com/

I've never had any downtime since I've used it (I've had it for about a year now, maybe longer), unlimited data, cpanel, etc. Everything you need.

Cheap too, which is always a plus!

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 18:08
I've been using FastDomain for many years now. I think my site has been down once and it was due to a company-wide issue at the data center. It was back up the same day, I believe within a few hours. Their customer service seems fairly knowledgeable and, more importantly, reachable. They're about $10/mo I think is what I'm paying, so price isn't too bad, but not the cheapest. You do, however, get unlimited space and bandwidth.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 22:22
Here is another reason to not godaddy that I saw on reddit.

http://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2014/01/29/lost-50000-twitter-username/

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 23:48
So the guy caved and gave up his twitter name. His bank records will show his transactions with godaddy and that can be used to verify he is the owner. Why didn't he simply do that? He gave up too easily.

This really isn't godaddy's fault, but the fault of a single godaddy tech who didn't do his job properly. Godaddy asks me for a specific pin number to verify who I am, and not any numbers from my credit card.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 04:21 Edited at: 30th Jan 2014 04:22
Quote: " This really isn't godaddy's fault, but the fault of a single godaddy tech who didn't do his job properly. Godaddy asks me for a specific pin number to verify who I am, and not any numbers from my credit card."

Nothing's ever Godaddy's fault amirite? Just it continuously and with peculiar regularity messes up.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 19:47
If multiple techs were letting people guess the numbers, then yes I'd say godaddy has a policy issue they need to sort out. But because one guy didn't understand the concept of security, I'm not going to put the blame on the entire company. Besides, we're taking all of this on the word of a "hacker" (I use that term very losely in this case) who extorted another person? I don't think he's very credible. Especially since godaddy doesn't verify me through credit card information, so I'm not sure why they would do so for this guy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:34:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:34:14