Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My HDD disappeared!

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 05:47
So there I was, just minding my own business when I got a little popup notification from Intel Rapid Storage. It was just a little notification bubble, so I quickly ignored it. Which is when I realized one of my hard drives vanished!

I can't find it in disk management or anything, it's completely disconnected it appears. I'd reboot, but I've been doing a major backup all evening and file reorganization and kinda have wayyyy too much stuff open at the moment. Frankly, closing everything down to reboot right now would be a big headache for me.

Any suggestions?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 06:11
I'd suggest a loose data cable perhaps. I don't know why else it would disappear from disk management, though I'm not an expert on things like this in any case.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 16:56
If you have any non-standard drive connected, it might just be taking a drive letter that is already in use. It's a massive problem in WindowsXP, plug in a USB pendrive and a networked drive get's kicked out.

If you can see it in Computer Manager but not in Explorer, then that's the first thing I'd check - right click and select Change Drive Letter. If it's missing from Computer Manager, then you should hope that it's just the cables... properly restoring corrupt files is a massive/expensive/troublesome gamble. If you suspect that the drive is dead, make sure you try it in a different PC, it might survive long enough for you to get your files off.

I am the one who knocks...
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 18:47
Quote: "Computer Manager"

Device Manager?

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 19:08
Quote: "Any suggestions?"

It is

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 19:10 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 19:10
Quote: "Device Manager?"

No computer management is where you can monkey with drives. I would say definitely a hardware issue check your cables, try leaving it unpowered and unplugged for a few hours.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2014 00:01
Quote: "t might just be taking a drive letter that is already in use"

I've dealt with that in the past in XP. But I'm on 7 now. Though I have been swapping out 3 different usb drives, but still, the drive didn't show up disk management (computer management).

I just rebooted and umm well, the drive still isn't appearing. I really hate having to pull this case out of the desk and open it. Ugh... I hope that's all it is. It's nothing vitally important on the drive, mainly use it as a scratch disk and download folder. Still, I don't want to pay for a new SSD.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 07:24
All the cables looked tightly secured, but I reseated them anyway. It showed back up. Weird.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 13:52
Quote: "All the cables looked tightly secured, but I reseated them anyway. It showed back up. Weird."

I doubt it's old enough to have oxidized, maybe just a bit of dust in just the right place.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 18:19
It was pretty dust free, since I just cleaned it out a month ago when I put in my new graphics card. This was the OCZ ssd. My main drive is a mushkin ssd (toshiba memory).

I just swapped out the drive in my laptop for a 240 crucial ssd and put the old 750gb into a usb3 external enclosure.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-08 01:50:00
Your offset time is: 2024-05-08 01:50:00