Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / [LOCKED] To the Moderators re: Post-Editing (Mod edits)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 12:12
Excuse me while I shoot myself in the foot and move down in everyone's estimatation...

Okay, firstly, please delete this thread when done. I didn't use the PM system becauase I don't know /who/ to PM and this actually pertains to possibly more than one moderator. This is NOT meant as an opportunity for all users with a grudge to rehash the past with their two cents. In fact, mods, feel free to lock this thread and start a discussion amongst yourselves or move it to the Mod Lounge, whatever. Anyway, the point:

I understand the need to maintain some modicum of equilibrium and harmony on this forum, especially with it being a small community and word travelling around fast. I also understand the need to sometimes go beyond the scope of the AUP in order to prevent rather than cure breaches. I'm not here to debate that -- actually, I'm not here to debate since my personal beliefs hold no relevance to this discussion.

So, to the point (finally). I have noticed that some moderators have a tendency to edit a user's post, replacing the contents with "no". My feelings on the subject are:
- It would be better to indicate that it was a mod-edit and, preferably, which mod did the editing (if there's an indicator I missed I appologise profusely).
- The reason for the edit should be made clear. That is, 'Post contained profanity', 'Link to illegal content', 'Post is vulgar in nature', 'Post is a direct insult to another member', etc.
- If this is too much hassle, perhaps rather censor the offending words or phrases.

My reasoning: Subsequent posts that reference the offending post lose their meaning.
Moreover, users merely reaponding to the offending post may be seen in the future to be provocative (in all contexts of the word) instead of the user who posted the now-modified content. I realise the counter-argument of 'Why did one respond instead of reporting the post' does exist but there are two very valid reasons: Firstly, the assumption would be that since the post is visible, it is acceptable (I realise things slip through the cracks but as much as that isn't the fault of the moderators, it's not the fault of the users either). The second, and more compelling, is that we are not school children -- at least not most of us -- and, as such, will tend towards making our own judgements. In that regard, we will push back if pushed and not proverbially 'go crying tp the teacher'. We also tend to interpret AUP subjectively -- as is the flawed nature of humanity -- so if it seems not to break the AUP, some of us, myself included, will roll with it.

Just in case anyone is wondering what inspired this, it was when "mr Handy" posted a link in a thread about sigs to "Benjamin (aka Seditious)'s" post in The Posting Competition that equated male reproductive organs to "monoliths of power". Handy's post was mod-editted with at least an indicator while Benjamin's just reads "no". To put it bluntly: It makes me look bad, waaaaah, it's unfair *insert video of WoW-Freakout-Kid*. Seriously, it makes it seem as though I began the discourse on phallic-matter. I would edit my post but this would only solve the immediate situation and, in no way, solve future problems.

I thank you for taking the time to read my somewhat-lengthy post and trust that my points will be considered.

Sincerely,
Jason "nonZero"

"You realise you're not nearly as funny as you think you are," said Onii-chan.

"I know that, which means I must be as funny as I think I am; in a paradoxical sort of way," I replied.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 14:11 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 14:14
When somebody breaks the AUP as a one-off or it's a quick locking of an AUP-breaking thread then the mods tend to use the template posts (e.g illegal content etc).

When there is a continuous need to keep watching certain members of the community for their next antagonising post, or attempt to push the boundaries as far as possible for the benefit of the inner clique (and yes, there is a perception amongst much of the community that there is a group who consider themselves above all others) then the responses from the mods are naturally short and to the point.

Unfortunately this means that every now and then there is collateral damage, for example a post looking out of context or looking like the start of controversy rather than a response. This is a consequence of having to deal with minor but tiringly repetitive breaches.

I would recommend ignoring them and hitting the report abuse message rather than responding and risking the perception that you are part of the clique; the mods are here (voluntarily) to make sure that the forums are a habitable place for all, including younger members.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:19
Quote: "Handy's post was mod-editted with at least an indicator while Benjamin's just reads "no""

Mine was edited? I found that quote on the internet and thought it was hilarious. Perhaps deleting such a post might be a better idea than editing it, since it takes up space in a thread.

Maybe there could be a system similar to the thread locking system, instead replacing a post with a template?
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:22
Actually, if there is a post a member finds offensive it's probably best they don't put a copy of the content in their own posts for obvious reasons.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 15:22 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 15:28
Thanks for the reply.

I hear you, but then perhaps typing "Mod-edit: no" would be fine too. I do understand how tiresome certain members can be when they continually make inflammatory posts. Perhaps a feature to add to the new website would be a 'Censor Post' button for moderators that would automatically edit the post and replace it with 'Post Moderated due to infringement of AUP'. I believe that would help everyone. I actually think I'll suggest in in the forum beta thread.

Again, thanks for your time.

"I know that, which means I must be as funny as I think I am; in a paradoxical sort of way," I replied.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 16:44
On the subject of my message, would it fall under the obscene/vulgar label the AUP mentions? Since in my defence penis worship is common in many cultures.

Quote: "benefit of the inner clique (and yes, there is a perception amongst much of the community that there is a group who consider themselves above all others)"

Is it the bronies, or do you mean a group of unassociated individuals?
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 18:42
@Benjamin: I'd imagine them to be unassociated individuals. Most bronies remain on this forum are not troublemakers. To reiterate TheComet's point (with a better choice of words than were in that image he posted): There are the same amount of Badmans in the brony community as there are in every other group. No matter what, "Wherever you go, the sky is the sky and people are people". Also, I agree with you fundamentally: nothing's vulgar about the male reproductive organ and I find beauty in both male and female body parts. I grew up with very little shame regarding genetalia and I shared a bath with my male and female cousins on numerous occasions. But clearly it's taboo here so obviously it's better not to post about it. Sort of like how I would never enter my half-Japanese friend's house without taking off my shoes.

@any mod reading: I think now would be a great time to lock this thread, with regard to prevention being better than cure.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2014 18:54 Edited at: 25th Jan 2014 18:55
Thread Locked

This thread has been locked for the following reason: prevention being better than cure. (This is an editable template response, BTW)

AUP Section 3.17 ...Moderators shall, at their discretion, determine what constitutes a violation of these terms, along with generally accepted netiquette standards, and can take action against those who violate these rules.

If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases a ban.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 12:08:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 12:08:23