Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nvidia hero dies trying to save another

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 16:45
Sure, I am a cynic. Why you need to die to make your company publish a short story of your success? Why they don't do it with alive people?

P.S. of course I feel sorry for a brave poor guy.

P.S. and he's not "killed", he's "perished".

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 18:09
I don't think nvidia needs help from dying marketing guys. Wtf dude? It's a tragic accident.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 18:22
Quote: "I don't think nvidia needs help from dying marketing guys."

Sorry can't understand your phrase.

I think it is a good to make online "employee of the month" thing. Lee Bamaber have a blog, local guys here have a WIP threads, but what about "nameless" people deep inside company? Only used for "bonus dvd - making of"?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 19:03
Oh I see what you're saying. Nvidia should have been releasing press releases about the great men and women who work for them. I don't think anybody outside the company would normally care. I imagine you could find a way to get a company's internal newsletter if you are interested in such things.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 19:07
Brave man. I'd like to hope it is a natural, human thing to help protect one another.

Quote: "Lee Bamaber have a blog"

I'm sorry, what? You should be banned simply for spelling God's name wrong. It's Lee Bamber.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 21:07
Quote: "I don't think anybody outside the company would normally care."

Then why anybody outside the company would normally care about such person's death?.. I mean people that never knew about him/her?

So I insist that writing info on dev team is a great free commercial when you can see real people behind the game cover.
"Here is Ulrich, he draws platypuses for Assassin's creed 7. Blah blah blah he likes platypuses." And when I will see a platypus in AC7 I will think about Ulrich, how he drew it, and so on. Commonly it happens after watching dev diaries.

Quote: "spelling God's name wrong."

I spell KEZZLA correctly always.

P.S. Ulrich is a random German name I took, but unexpetedly translator showed that it has a translation in deutch: "to puke [den heiligen Ulrich anrufen]". That was pretty weird.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 03:34
Quote: "Then why anybody outside the company would normally care about such person's death"

The fact he worked for nvidia is irrelevant and you're missing the point entirely. A guy died trying to save the life of another, who may or may not recover.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 06:56
He was the marketing manager so there actually was quite a few people in the gaming community that had worked with him on events and parties and such over a few years. So people outside the company definitely did know him, and the community is quite likely much worse off without him.

RIP.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 09:11
Quote: "The fact he worked for nvidia is irrelevant and you're missing the point entirely."

No, it is relevant. Look at the comments there:
Quote: "Today Nvidia and the gaming community as a whole lost a great man and a great friend. he had a smile every time I saw him and every PDXLAN or meeting he was always able to light up even the darkest situation with just a smile.
He will be missed greatly by all."

So people know him and do care about this accident.

But I was saying: why they don't have any info for alive people. For example, after Steve Jobs's death suddenly pop-upped dozens of his bio's books, but none (one don't count) while he lived. This is a human nature - die to get talked about. Writers, poets - same thing. Even Michael Jackson's death increased his popularity. And gaming industry relies on those nameless people inside the company, why don't show them to people? Now that's my point, it's a bit wider than this news post.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 14:32
Quote: "This is a human nature - die to get talked about."

I'll bear that in mind when I feel the need to be talked about.