Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / 'Super-rare' Nintendo game hits eBay

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 12:35
Quote: "An extremely rare Nintendo game is expected to fetch thousands of dollars in an eBay auction. Only 116 copies of Nintendo World Championships were ever made, as part of a special event in 1990. The first bid came in at $4,999 (£3,000), but the game is likely to fetch more, one Nintendo expert said."

It actually sold at $99,902!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25878678

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 14:27
more money than cents

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 15:09
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 16:29
Don't worth it. Absolutely. Unless you are owner of Nintendo history museum and such thing would increase it value.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 22:37
Why not just download the ROM image and run in an emulator...kidding, that's illegal and very naughty and people are paying for the collectable anyway. But I had to throw that in.

"You realise you're not nearly as funny as you think you are," said Onii-chan.

"I know that, which means I must be as funny as I think I am; in a paradoxical sort of way," I replied.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 22:48
I just close my eyes and use an imaginary emulator and ROM. The NSA doesn't have access to my mind. Yet.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2014 23:26
I didn't realise the human brain could emulate 65xx architecture. Impressive. ROM-hacking must be so much easier to do natively...

But back on topic, I think it's crazy. People are suckers for limited edition crap. I used to be one, too. Now I rummage in the bargain bin (actually, there are some decent games in there) or order things online at discounts. Limited edition no longer works on me.

"I know that, which means I must be as funny as I think I am; in a paradoxical sort of way," I replied.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 02:22
Quote: "I didn't realise the human brain could emulate 65xx architecture. Impressive."
Well, a few years ago I would start out manually emulating the architecture using a pencil and paper, while looking at a spec sheet. I have been intensively practicing all these years, so now it just comes first nature in my head.

Lol, when I typed 'architecture' it came out as 'archuiteciture'.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 02:30
Quote: "Well, a few years ago I would start out manually emulating the architecture using a pencil and paper, while looking at a spec sheet. I have been intensively practicing all these years, so now it just comes first nature in my head."

I think he was joking.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 03:31
I saw this on ebay last week, before it had any bids.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 04:41
Quote: "I saw this on ebay last week, before it had any bids."

I saw it before it was cool.

I think owning this is more about owning a piece of history and completing a collection rather than playing it. You would never actually play it, too dangerous to the cart lol.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 09:17 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 09:22
I still played my Famicom, which included many original Japanese games, eg "Rockman" instead of "Mega Man". The Famicom I had was the original one with the joypads hardwired into the back. It died and was replaced with an [illegal?] Chinese import. I should still somewhere have my 1987ish Rockman cart and some others. Just talking about makes me miss those days: Put cartridge into machine, power on, play. There was none of the Installation & Setup crap like today. That's why I moved away from consoles. Because a modern console is essentially a crippled-PC. Also, I missed cartridges because that were tougher than CDs and easier to clean... *sigh*
Well, my PS1 is still in working shape although I replaced the laser unit by swapping it with one I bought for parts but the mainboard has been used since 1999ish. Control is new as they start becoming stuffed and require fiddling to make them work. I have three controls actually: Original one (crappy but ideal for Tekken 3, transparent ds one a friend bought me, a green ds one that came with the other machine (it's from the "psone" line, Sony's last model of PS1). My green one is only used by me. Not one individual one this planet has ever or will ever touch it because I've meticulously cared for it and I use it extra gently. Most of my stuff in storage now so I haven't played since about 3+ years back but, until emulators can get PS1 perfect, I've no choice (I believe development has stopped which is sad as there are many emu short-comings, for example the display inconsistencies like the incorrectly read colour values in FF7 especially. Soun is also not perfect. Still, at least I can play a CD. There was a time when most PS CDs didn't work (I believe that was because Sony put garbage in the subchannels or something). Stupid Sony).

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 13:50
Quote: "Put cartridge into machine, power on, play. There was none of the Installation & Setup crap like today."

Quote: "There was a time when most PS CDs didn't work (I believe that was because Sony put garbage in the subchannels or something). Stupid Sony)."

This is the case for FF8 and FF9, and most likely many other later PS titles. If I want to play a game on an emulator I usually rip the disc first, which depending on the ripping software allows the creation of a subchannel file also. PCSX-Reloaded and ePSXe are my favourite emulators.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 19:32 Edited at: 27th Jan 2014 22:44
Quote: "Because a modern console is essentially a crippled-PC."

I'll tell you a short story. Today I went to the game shop and some guy asked for PS3 with 12 GB onboard, and seller said that it is not good to buy it as latest PS3 games don't play from disc and 12 GB is too small to install them. So he would not be able to play GTA4! I dunno if it is true, but such things I expect from the thing called "TV console".

edit: small corrections
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2014 19:41
ePSXe is pretty nice. My gripe was the plugins. Tried them all and Pete's & its branches were the best but FF7 still showed pixels that should have been black. I recall workarounds but they always involved a compromise.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 01:32
The buyer who won the bid ended up retracting:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/27/5350058/nintendo-world-championship-buyer-claims-mistake

\r\n"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 01:35
hahaha, sucks for that guy. Here, have $100k.... just kidding!

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 10:32 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 12:01
Quote: "The buyer who won the bid ended up retracting"

Because the LSD wore off.[center][/center]

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 11:06
An even rarer auction.

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 14:55
Hey the auction title is so funny:
Quote: "100% Authentic Adult Owned"

Who is this 100% authentic adult that was owned? The buyer?
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:26
I don't understand collectors, it seems like a very strange psychological condition to me. Why would I want anyone's autograph? Why would I want a bunch of junk that just sits on a shelf for years and never gets used? Do these people have dragon DNA and feel a natural urge to hoard things? I don't even like keeping too many books, I'd rather give them away so someone else can actually read them.

In my experience, personal possessions are nothing but a chain around your neck, so I try to keep only the things that are useful and/or take up little space. I am even thinking about trading in my tower and TV for a laptop at some point.

I used to hoard toys as a child, I had hundreds of them and would go to car boot sales to pick up cheap toys almost every weekend. I don't think that is healthy.

I am renting at the moment so I've moved around a bit in the last few years and it's a colossal pain in the butt to have to haul around a load of stuff that you never use and just travels from one attic to another.

\r\nFormerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:40
Quote: "In my experience, personal possessions are nothing but a chain around your neck"

I would agree, however, I still like stuff.

Quote: "I am renting at the moment so I've moved around a bit in the last few years and it's a colossal pain in the butt to have to haul around a load of stuff that you never use and just travels from one attic to another."

I've moved a lot over the past 15 years and have gotten rid of a lot of stuff, but I've kept a lot of junk too. Mostly nostalgic crap. Heck, I just sorted through a box of old papers and found a valentine card from 8th grade!

About the only thing I'd say I collect is DVDs. Those 80s cartoons I grew up with.

My computer has collected a lot of junk over the past decade. Often when I build a new machine I just take all the old stuff and copy it over somewhere else, getting lost and/or duplicated. I've spent the past week organizing all the files on my computer, some dating back to the 90s. Still only a fraction of the way done and still haven't even checked for duplicates yet.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:01:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:01:48