Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / flux - match your monitor to the sun

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 01:32
So basically what it does is slowly fades the lighting of your monitor throughout the day as to match that of the sun. The thought is it's better for your eyes, since monitors are designed to look more like sunlight and that may not be a good thing at 2am.

http://justgetflux.com/

Since it's dark outside, it's dimmed my monitor and given it a slightly reddish/pink hue. And it doesn't seem to affect my secondary monitor.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 01:37
I love f.lux, especially at the 2300k level. It doesn't fade the lighting of your monitor though, it actually reduces the amount of blue from your monitor, helping with circadian sleep rhythm.

see also: http://justgetflux.com/research.html

\r\n"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 09:54 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 10:04
I already have my monitor set to the dimmest setting. I also have the curtains drawn most of the day. Being somewhat photo-sensitive kinda sucks when you're into tech. I think this is a great product as it definitely will reduce migraines for those who work in front of a bright monitor all day.

"You realise you're not nearly as funny as you think you are," said Onii-chan.

"I know that, which means I must be as funny as I think I am; in a paradoxical sort of way," I replied.
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 18:31
I've been using Flux for about 2 week now, although the orange is really noticeable at first, now it just feels really normal and is easier on the eyes during the later hours. Given I use my PC a lot and frequently when it's dark, it does help.

So I love it, however I am running at the 3300k level, not tried going down to 2300k though. I've just changed it now, so I'll see, looks extremely orange, but I suspect I'll get used to that.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 18:37 Edited at: 28th Jan 2014 18:40
What do we have here? Light intensity is always a problem for me, I often have to adjust the screen brightness for different times of day to avoid eye strain. (Notice how I like making DARK themes for the forum?)

I sometimes resort to wearing sunglasses haha! Hopefully this will enable me to stop looking like a dork from the Matrix.

Thanks for posting, Phaelax.

Totally off-topic but does anyone else, when you hear someone say "drag and drop", think "DRAAAGGOOOOON DROOOOPP!!!" If that isn't a special in a fighting game it needs to be.

Formerly OBese87.
Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 19:06
Been using this for a while now, it's become really jarring to use a PC without it late at night now xD

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 19:28
Just installed, I think it is overestimating the amount of sunlight we get in old Blighty.

Formerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 19:52
It seemed weird at first last night, but I got used to it. It does feel easier on the eyes at night once you're adjusted. And if you're using it in the evening as it slowly changes rather then all at once, then I suspect I won't hardly notice it at all.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:07
Very nice program
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 16:46
I've been using this for a year or two and I already want it to be dimmer at night xD I guess my eyes have adjusted, but if I want to watch a TV show to get to sleep I still feel it's too bright, even at the lowest setting.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 23:20:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 23:20:51