Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Did I Just Use Game Design to Make Throwing Paper Balls Fun?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 20:40
The other day I threw a paper ball across my room and scored! This always feels good when done spontaneously but with each attempt there are diminishing returns (it gets boring quickly). However, being a game design nerd I found myself creating rules to spice it up; I started off by introducing a scoring system, with special bonuses for rebounds, but this became silly and overly-complicated for very little "spice".

I then had the idea of scoring each round by squaring the number of balls scored in that round; add in the requisite that the score for all rounds must total at least the square of the last round-number (1 for round 1, 4 for round 2, 9 for round 3, etc.), and we have introduced a natural difficulty curve!

The scoring system keeps the game interesting because one big round can change a poor run into a good one. You might go from just scraping through the third round with 9 (after scoring 1 and 4 in the first two rounds), to scoring 25 the next round and shooting up to 34!

I have been playing with 5 balls and my best score so far is 104. Maybe try this game out yourself or code a small game with the same quadratic scoring system and tell me if you think it's fun (at least more fun than just throwing paper balls). Maybe you can even improve it.

\r\nFormerly OBese87.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:10
Add aclohol to the score and game will run more interesting and relaxing
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 21:42
Bored at work I see?

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jan 2014 22:08
I can relate, but me and a colleague got in trouble for throwing paper planes around the office. But we used to make a game of throwing stuff on slow days (mainly Sundays).

However, I didn't use the principles of game design. But sounds like fun, however, I don't think my boss would be pleased and I have other means to entertain myself at home.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 09:41
But can you pay for different patterned more accurate paper balls? It's not a 21st century game until you have to pay to progress past level 5.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2014 17:13
Quote: "But can you pay for different patterned more accurate paper balls?"

Of course not! You get re-skinned paper balls by inviting your friends to play. You pay for extra throws.

Right, now I'm off to trademark the words "paper" and "ball".

\r\nFormerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 02:28
I will then patent the process of getting generic words trademarked. Every time I see a silly generic word trademarked, I will sue them, then trademark that word myself. Further, I will proceed to sue anyone who uses the generic word. Sound business plan eh?

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 03:54
Sorry, I have already patented the idea of trademarks, you cannot trademark anything without paying me $50k, I think it is a reasonable price.

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 04:24
You bloody fool. I have already patented ideas, and the idea of trademarks therefrom, so you owe me $51.394058K.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 05:24 Edited at: 30th Jan 2014 05:27
But I have already patented patents, so I will have to challenge your patent on ideas. See you in court!
← That's you, a filthy pirate for using patents when I hold the rights to them. Stop trying to prevent me from protecting myself! (Yes protecting myself may have repercussions on your rights to do anything but that is... your tough luck, sorry not sorry byyyeee!)

Formerly OBese87.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 13:26:39
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 13:26:39