Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Nerding Out: Keyboards

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 05:43 Edited at: 30th Jan 2014 19:23
I am starting to get obsessed with keyboards. I have been looking at them since I learned to use the Dvorak layout (and now it is my preferred layout). I would love a mechanical keyboard but they are all really expensive so I guess I'll have to make do with pictures until I can afford the real thing. Haha, I sound like I am printing out photos of keyboards and tapping on them... definitely not doing that at all!

Looking at keyboards makes me realise how lame my bog standard membrane one is. I mean, look at this beauty:

It's a Space-Cadet; has anyone ever used one of these things? Obviously it's a bit old now but I'd still use it over my own. I like the amount of modifier keys, you can type over 3000 characters with it!

Then I found this article from a guy who is officially obsessed with keyboards: http://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/10/a-modern-space-cadet/ There's a heck of a lot of information here that can be used to customize the keyboard you already have, and some advice on buying mechanical keyboards.

One of Steve's pretty keyboards

Programmer Dvorak
This is an article about the layout I'm now using, programmer Dvorak, it's really nice once you get used to it. I would recommend learning Dvorak, it is much less straining on your hands and I personally am much faster than I ever was using Qwerty.

Contextual Keyboards
I think this is a very nice concept, a keyboard where the key fascias change depending on their current assignment. So, for example, you could display your keybindings for games directly on the keys (fire, jump, strafe left, launch potato, etc.); or tools for applications like photo editing software; and of course it's ideal for playing around with your general keyboard layout.

Every keyboard needs a Shakespeare key!

The first realisation of this idea I heard about (probably through the forum) was the Optimus Maximus (), each key is a tiny lcd screen. The drawback of the Transformers keyboard is that you would have to be the size of Optimus Prime to use it! The thing is bloody huge, and it's worth its weight in gold costing... oh I can't actually find a price for it any more. Did they stop making it?

Anyway, ever since I heard about electronic ink I thought it would be a fantastic alternative to LED screens on the keys: slimmer and with the advantage of zero power consumption once the key faces have been set.

Isn't it beautiful? Gizmodo thinks so. It is just a concept but surely it's not long until we get something like this.

Formerly OBese87.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 11:58
I'm not obsessed by keyboards like you, but a good keyboard makes a big difference. I have use of 3 laptops, a desktop and an all-in-one. Switching between keyboards is a nightmare, often pressing arrow keys instead of Shift and all other combinations.

The worst keyboard I have is a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard. It is just terrible for accuracy.

The best is my Lenovo all-in-one wireless keyboard. Or it would be if it was a British layout and not American. Some keys are missing which means I have to invoke the screen keyboard. Some things like " and @ being switched don't matter as I know where I need to find them (I use Windows UK layout despite the physical keyboard).

My Lenovo laptop is nice, with the "scrabble" keys, plenty of space between each one. It feels closer to mechanical than any other. The only problem here is arrow keys which take up the Shift position.

I used to have a Dragon 32 in the eighties. I loved the clunk of the keys, and the resistance of the springs. Especially as my friends spent more time trying to unstick their Spectrum rubber keys and pushing them through the desk to get a reaction from them.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 12:17
I go to the extreme of taking my keyboard with me if I am using another persons desktop. I have a lovely mechanical keyboard that is very nice to type on for long periods of time.

I wouldn't say I am obsessed with them but the same as BatVink a good keyboard makes all the difference.

The one thing I hate more than anything is laptop keyboards I have not found one I like yet.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 13:11
I'm a sucker for microswitched keyboards, I use a Razer Blackwidow - it's noisy and awesome , I have that and a Razer Abyssuss (?) mouse, seem to go quite well together and don't have all those pointless gamer buttons.

The best keyboard I ever used was on an old DOS PC at a place I worked - keyboard was very expensive, noisy, but the tactile response when typing was second to none - it was actually fun to use that PC just because of the microswitched keyboard.

At work now I have this cheap black Cherry keyboard, not Mswitched, but reasonably good for the price - the keys are fairly responsive at least, unlike 95% of the cheap keyboards I end up with.

I am the one who knocks...
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 19:39
I'm not obsessed, but I am currently in the market for a nice keyboard and mouse, because a) I'm tired with the bog standard low priced Logitek mouse & keyboard and b) because I think it can make a difference to my user experience.

Didn't help that my brother brought home his awesome gaming PC home during Christmas, his keyboard was pretty damn neat. I believe it was one of these.

And now I want one. You can light up keys based on customisation and I can see that being pretty funky for mapping out keys I use for gaming.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2014 19:40
I hate razer keyboards. Makes me feel like I'm using some old clunky mechanical AT keyboard. Plus, like most of their stuff, it's way overpriced.

I'm fine with my basic MS keyboard.

Quote: "and it's worth its weight in gold costing... oh I can't actually find a price for it any more. Did they stop making it?"

Wasn't it like $300? The darn thing requires a separate power source! I'll pass! Check this out though: http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/tactus/

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 17:20
Quote: "I hate razer keyboards. Makes me feel like I'm using some old clunky mechanical AT keyboard"

That's sort of the point, the mecanical keys are really nice to type on IMO. Also, the black widow isn't as overpriced as other razer products, it's actually pretty cheap compared to other mechanical keyboards with the same features.

Also, my laptop has an american keyboard layout while im used to swedish but I have almost learned to use the amecian now since the <> signs are on a separate key on swedish that doesn't even exist on the american keyboards and switching between the layouts when using C++ isn't fun

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 22:21
For a keyboard, if it's more than $20, then it's overpriced.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2014 23:22
Quote: "Wasn't it like £ 183 ($300)?"

No, it was around $1500!

Quote: "For a keyboard, if it's more than £ 12 ($20), then it's overpriced."

For a membrane keyboard, yes, but comparing a mechanical keyboard to a membrane is like comparing a car to a shopping cart.

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2014 22:03 Edited at: 1st Feb 2014 22:06
If all you need is something you can mash your fingers against and see letters on the screen, then 20 dollars is indeed too much. However, if you type or game a lot, and you really want to have the best typing experience possible, 20 dollars won't cut it, or even come close to cutting it.

And let's be honest; does anyone need a mechanical keyboard? No! My 13 dollar Logitech K120 membrane keyboard is fully functional, and does everything a keyboard user would ever need to do. Maybe not everything they might want to do, however.

You can buy a cheap little smart car for around 10 thousand USD, and it will do everything you need it to do. It may not do everything you want it to do. That doesn't mean that more expensive cars are overpriced.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 01:54
It's a preference is all, I like to type fast when I can and knowing precisely when a key is pressed helps. I dunno, things just seem to flow better when I use a mechanical, or indeed a good membrane keyboard (I quite like the mac keyboard as well) - I use all manner of keyboard at work, and really most of them are absolutely horrible. You have to spend at least 15 bucks to get something usable.

I am the one who knocks...
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 02:59
Quote: "You have to spend at least 15 bucks to get something usable."
Mine was 13 dollars and works great. BUT, this keyboard rates really well for its price range, and I perfectly agree with what you are saying.

Oh man. The keyboards in the computer labs at my school. Those are stories to write home about.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 09:57
Quote: "You can buy a cheap little smart car for around 10 thousand USD"

They're more like $15k believe it or not.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 10:39
Lol, gotcha. I think you can get a Nissan something for around $11k brand new.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 16:43
Quote: " I think you can get a Nissan something for around $11k brand new."

I think he may of been referring to an actual 'Smart Car', rather than a smart looking car.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 16:55:38
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 16:55:38