Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Does anyone knows why megaupload is down?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 10:31
Why its down?

I love to make games

http://www.youtube.com/user/thespicy847
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 11:08
Quote: "On January 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM (Eastern time; 4:47 pm UTC), Megaupload was re-launched as Mega under the domain name mega.co.nz. The re-launch date was chosen to coincide with the one-year anniversary of Megaupload's takedown by the FBI."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megaupload
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 11:11
Yeah, ages ago the feds shut it down for copyright infringement despite the fact that MU were, to my knowledge, killing infringing uploads. But that's not why I, and many others, got peeved. I got peeved because nobody got any notice about it and, consequently, all the stuff I had uploaded (all legitimate such as apps I made, backups, etc) got lost. BUT it taught me a lesson: if you want good, free file-hosting, go with Google coz they're too big to be shut down

"have to write here. As, we may not throw the fan. He's sure to blow your way. You can say to another. do not spit into the well from which you drink. do not spit into the wind." ~ greenpavel
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 20:40
Until they shut it down themselves. Protip, if you want file hosting, pay for it from somwone who doesnt cater to pirates.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 21:55
Quote: "Until they shut it down themselves. Protip, if you want file hosting, pay for it from somwone who doesnt cater to pirates."

He didn't.

Back to support reloaded \r\n- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department\r\n- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division\r\n
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 21:55
Quote: "Until they shut it down themselves. Protip, if you want file hosting, pay for it from somwone who doesnt cater to pirates."

+1

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 23:27
Quote: "all the stuff I had uploaded (all legitimate such as apps I made, backups, etc) got lost."

You relied on them to maintain your backups? Didn't you have copies?

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 12:53 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 12:55
I had backups but it costs me bandwidth to re-upload and stuff I was distributing went down. I just got very put out. But I'm with Google now so I figure I'm safe... I hope. Tbh, I had no idea about MU having a bad rep when I first signed up. By the time I found out, I just couldn't face the hassle and I couldn't afford it back then.

"have to write here. As, we may not throw the fan. He's sure to blow your way. You can say to another. do not spit into the well from which you drink. do not spit into the wind." ~ greenpavel
Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 14:02
I would suggest creating multiple back ups, have an online back up (I use SkyDrive) and of course a couple of offline ones (I use an external HDD). Seriously, my A-Level coursework was lost when both my PC AND backup developed a fault...luckily, I had secondary back up, otherwise I'd have been screwed, but it has beat it into me to create multiple back ups of important data. Seriously, my novel is on several difference devices lol.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 15:09 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 15:13
Ages ago, I lost 1x nearly complete serial noval, 1x 25% complete novel, every smaller thing I started and a 90% complete game script (some music and enemy stats were pending but actual script and maps were 100%). This wasn\'t for lack of backup but rather for stupid paranoia I had developed. But it was ages ago and it has made me wiser and I do plan on getting my stuff back some day.

Btw: I do have multiple backups now (external hdd, flashdrive and I sometimes burn to DVD. When I get decent internet, I'll by using my Google Drive again.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 16:12
By "they" I mean Google.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 16:37
Just a note... if you only have your files stored in one place, that's called storage and not backup. A backup is a copy.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 21:46
The stuff I lost was an aside note. I had multiple copies of it. The reason I lost it is a sad tale...

Quote: "By "they" I mean Google."

How do Google cater to pirates? You could say that about any public file-hosting and search engine.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 03:49
Until Google shuts it down themselves. Protip, if you want file hosting, don't use someone like megaupload that caters to pirates. Instead, pay for it.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 10:59 Edited at: 5th Feb 2014 11:00
Oh, I got my wires crossed. Yes, I realise that using MU wasn't the best but back then I didn't know and moving stuff was (and still is) a hassle. I still think people should have been given a week or even a few days to move their stuff though. It was wrong to shut it down without warning. And on that note, why would Google shut their online storage down?

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 13:44
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 14:14
I would like to recommend this: http://disk.yandex.com/?ncrnd=0989
Enough space for free, easy sharing with friends, desktop application, no time limits (plus some extra neat services like video hosting and mail)
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 17:54
Quote: "http://killedgoogleproducts.silk.co/"

Wow, that's a long list. I only vaguely recognised a couple of things on that list. I should get out more. Hmmm, guess I'll have to consider alternatives at some point when finances permit.

Quote: "http://disk.yandex.com/?ncrnd=0989"

Seems like an alternative if the need arises.

Ideally, maybe when I can afford it, I'll prolly consider going private but atm cash is tight so I stick to the free options.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 18:02
Or do what I do and go overboard with backups

Here is how I backup
1) Primary data on data drive in local machine.
2) Secondary drive in local machine that has automatic backup of changes to the primary drive every 1 hour.
3) Mapped network drive which goes to my server in the other room with 4TB (RAID 1) of storage just for backing up all my computers in the house. This machine holds 1 weeks worth of daily backups from each machine in the house. (We do not backup the OS or program files as they don't matter only data matters to me)
4) Then I have a Google drive and a DropBox account (each only needs about 100GB of space word docs, text files and a few PSD's don't take up much room) these accounts copy the latest backup copy only to the cloud.
5) I also have all customer projects and billing information uploading to a dedicated server based 100 miles away which has 2TB of space in RAID5 and has a guy sitting in the next room watching in case a drive fails. However this server isn't just for backups that would be mad it runs services also.

From the times I have lost very important data I take no chances now. This however is a costly backup system and one most people won't be considering.

At the very least make yourself a home server and backup to that, I made my first one for < £100 with old parts I had around.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked\r\n\r\nView the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 19:42
A 30 cent disk works fine for me.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2014 22:03
I'm using an external hdd for my big bkps (I backup my whole Linux system now and then) and a flashdrive for the rest. I used to use DVDs but I ended up with too many. Now I only burn final projects (or phases) to disc. I have an external hdd and some DVDs stashed at my family's place in Durban (I'm in Cape Town atm) so a lot of my stuff is backed up. But a lot is also only backed up on my external storage. I really want better internet so I can have online backups as I pay by the MB right now.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 00:23 Edited at: 7th Feb 2014 00:25
How can you all talk about backups on hard drive or DVDs when there are stealing and fire happens. And who gives a warranty that hard drive just won't broke when you need it? Cloud service is only real backup today (but better use it with external hard drive for no internet issue).
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 04:50
Youre thinking of offsite backup. Free cloud backup is something else entirely.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 06:50
I was thinking of free/paid cloud backup. They have raids and other proof stuff.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 13:58
Cloud is a fancy word for "trust us our systems are resilliant but we're not going to tell you how. Oh also it's free for most everyone because magic."

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 14:04
I agree with bitJericho on this, there is no such thing as a reliable free storage solution. It isn't sustainable and those companies offering it are doing it to grow market share that or they will go under eventually and close the service because they don't make enough.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2014 15:14
My service offers only 13 GB for free but is is enough for me. And that is cloud - I could give a private link to the friend, all my mail attachments also there, I can access to my files from any PC. So it is a bit better than messing with DVDs and hard drives. But of course everything important is doubled on two good flash sticks.
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Google Drive 15GB free - enough for me! They've expanded from 5GB so I'm guessing they have deemed it to be worthwhile.

\r\nThey see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 00:00
@Indicium

They didn't expand they folded the old picture storage they offered, drive and mail all into one. Really you have no more storage than before.

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "They didn't expand they folded the old picture storage they offered, drive and mail all into one. Really you have no more storage than before."

Ah I see - I never used the old photo storage, nor has mail ever really taken up much of my allowance - so for me it's quite an increase.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2014 12:03
Hmm, Yandex merged mail and drive only, images are separate unlimited storage. What if they want to merge it too to make it paid?..

All your TGC are belong to us.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:46:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:46:04