Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ten years ago my game was in the newsletter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 10:44 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 10:50
Wow, it's been 10 years since my first finished DBP game, Wordtris, was featured in the newsletter. I wasn't a mod yet, and was only a member for 6 months or so.

http://www.thegamecreators.com/pages/newsletters/newsletter_issue_15.html

The images on this site are broken, but I've had it saved all this time on my computer It was completely accidental that I noticed this milestone, but since then I've only completed two or three games.

I really wish there was a new DBP product from TGC!

EDIT: Wow, there was a lot going on back then! The AlienWare competition was awesome! I wish there were more huge competitions here like there used to be. That competition where we all made Scorched Earth" remakes was amazing!

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group

Attachments

Login to view attachments
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 12:08 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 12:09
Must be strange looking back, especially at your source. How time flies. Feels like I just got back into coding yesterday and it was 2010/2011 -ish. I haven't finished a single game since my original DBP game but I got back into coding tks partly to DBP which is great. I've worked on some projects though, but nothing solo and only one thing public (Tainted Skies - very small contribution anyway). I agree with you about competitions. That's why I suggested a new board for comps that were TGC and non-TGC, as comps give us a chance to better ourselves, especially in terms of hardware and aoftware we couldn't usually afford.
I don't think TGC will do anything with DBP atm. I guess it's AppGameKit or a more widespread language. I think DBP remains special to us all, shortcomings aside. Belated congrats on landing in the newsletter btw.

ver7.5
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2014 15:39 Edited at: 17th Feb 2014 15:45
Damn this makes me feel old - I remember these early newsletters with the same level of nostalgia as old ST Format magazines... and those things are like my bible!

10 years... that's right back to Operation Invasion Evasion, my first attempts at character modelling and texturing etc. I've made about 10 games since then, but none with that attitude which is only possible with a tense competition like that. Seems like ages since I released a PC game, even though I have my most polished game sitting waiting on some boxes being ticked (pretty much), it's kinda sad that the energy has fizzled out a bit... but cool as well that we look back at this stuff and remember it with fondness. I certainly remember Wordtris, especially how bad I am at it!

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 01:16
Wow, wordtris is really 10 years old? Doesn't feel like it.

So maybe it's time you do a 10 year anniversary edition.

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 03:56
Yeah time does indeed fly! Looking back at even older issues (shame about the piccy links being broken on most of them) to find some mentions of Visible Worlds

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 22:06
Quote: "The AlienWare competition was awesome!"

That was my first compo here, I won a shadow mapping application and some sound effects I think. The list of entries is here

I was inspired by both WordTris and Operation Invasion Evasion.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 23:10
Haha, nice find Jeku! I've said it a few times before, but I'd really, really like to play some of those older games that came from the community. Xenith's Yore, Axes of Evil (the Yarbles one), Cyber Control Alpha, Wordtris, etc. Would be such a nice walk down memory lane

ZacDuff.com
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 05:47 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 05:47
If you guys ever turn all those newsletters into a book. I'm willing to buy it.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2014 08:53 Edited at: 19th Feb 2014 08:54
Quote: "I was inspired by both WordTris and Operation Invasion Evasion."

Nice, thanks

I have a lot of good memories of the competition that came after the Alienware one... we had to choose between Snake, Scorched Earth, or (??) and make our own game inspired from one of them. Does anyone else remember that? I made a crappy Scorched Earth clone called Gang Wars of New Canada and still ended up winning a subscription to Retro Gamer! So far it's still my favourite magazine

Good times!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
That was a great era for TGC and indie competitions It seemed there were always a few happening concurrently. About that same time I also took part in quite a few of them (Little Eggy, Packin' Plax, Bomzuka, Storm Trapper, Manik Minis--all DBP creations developed for such competitions).

The prizes, if any, where trivial compared to similar competitions hosted these days by Intel (of which I've also had great success) but that wasn't the point. It was the community involvement, reading WIP threads, playing the finished products, reading comments and critiques... That's what made it so fun for me. Sadly it's been quite a few years since a proper TGC competition.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2014 09:01
I have to admit I never played WordTris, but Firewall on the cover brings back memories! I very faintly remember enjoying it a lot. There were a ton of great games floating around back then.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2014 11:08
We should have another comp. I'm sure TGC could afford to put up a few prizes like an AppGameKit licence etc or a some game assets. I mean they wouldn't be necessarily losing revenue as AppGameKit v1 will soon be deprecated and most of the entrants are unlikely to buy anything anyway (else they wouldn't enter, except for glory but that's a whole other category). Maybe we, as a community, have to get the ball rolling and run some small comps offering libraries we made or game assets.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 10:31
Quote: "We should have another comp. I'm sure TGC could afford to put up a few prizes like an AppGameKit licence etc or a some game assets"

The issue isn't about prizes, it's the amount of time and energy it takes to create and manage a competition. It can take hours to manage the rules, the questions you get, the judging, the checking of failed uploads, writing up the results and feedback, requesting resubmissions etc etc.

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Jeku, are you still making music?
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 21:06
Quote: "Hey Jeku, are you still making music?"

Yep, just not as much as before! How about yourself?

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Yep, just not as much as before! How about yourself?"

Yeah still going strong after all these years, I'm at https://soundcloud.com/karisigurd4 in case you're interested. Do you have a soundcloud page? I'd love to follow your music and keep up with your latest work.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 07:50 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2014 07:53
Awesome! Yah, I have a soundcloud account, and I really wish I had more time to work on music.

https://soundcloud.com/jeku

Last year I had the pleasure of collaborating with my friend who provided the vocals for a song:

[soundcloud]jeku/blind-eye-jake-jensen-remix[/soundcloud]

EDIT:

I have no idea why my soundcloud integration looks so gigantic on this forum now Looks like a bug but since I'm no longer responsible for new features on the site, I can't really do anything about it!

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2014 11:36
Dude, that beat is ridiculously catchy. Not bad.

KariSigurd
Years of Service
User Offline
Great stuff Jeku, followed I really like "The Comeback" and "Blind Eye". Are you still using Reason?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:20:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:20:04