Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Drivers Should All Be Open-Source

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2014 10:48
After thinking about it, I concluded that hardware manufacturers were contributing to a malicious ecosystem that is OS-monopoly. Why? Well I've to date seen one device in a PC shop actually advertising Linux compatibility. I get that, outside of the server market, Linux is a niche, but for the longest time Apple wasn't supported by many manufacturers and Apple has always been a big player in the USA. At least recently Apple gets more support but other OSes are igbored. Okay so it costs manufacturers money to develop drivers. So why not just include the source code on the driver installation disc? Not like space is an issue and it's not like it would cost extra. Then developers could take that source and port it or use it as a reference for developing drivers for other OSes. The manufacturers would benefit from this as they would sell more.

Maybe I'm crazy but I just don't see the point in proprietary drivers, except to create insular habitats. What does everyone else think?

ver7.5
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 07:18
Amen.

Formerly OBese87.
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2014 06:20
Meant to reply to this the other, but yea, amen sums up my opinion on this too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:43:41
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:43:41