Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Photography!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 04:02
I am looking for some good constructive criticism on some of my photography. A few months ago I had shared some of my work and got some good feedback but I have put a lot of effort in to get better. You can check out all my work at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nilloc223/
xCatalyst
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2014 20:34
You've got some cool stuff on there man, good work. Some criticism I have for you:

1.) I'm seeing your reflection in several of the photos. It'd probably be worthwhile in the end for you if you try and eliminate that as much as possible in future shots. People get distracted trying to spot you in the photo rather than the subject at hand.

2.) You have a ton of variety in here which can put some people off. Most people in the field have a sort-of niche that they tend to follow and improve upon, and I'm not seeing much of that on your page. Don't get me wrong, variety is good, but I wouldn't say variety on the front page of your portfolio is too great. (The front page is really the most important in any type of portfolio. The viewer should be able to look at it and be like 'oh, he's an excellent portrait photographer, or landscape photographer, etc.)

3.) You have entirely too many photos for a portfolio page. I'd say something like <40 (Maybe even 50 if you'd like to try and squeeze some more on) of your absolute BEST work. Employers/ clients shouldn't have to spend anymore than maybe 5 minutes on your page to get an idea of what kind of photo work you do.

So yeah, pick a niche, find ways to creatively utilize and capture your niche, lessen the content, and blah blah blah. Keep up the good stuff bud

danielfalk.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/danielfalkcomposer/
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2014 01:04
Thanks for the critique. I actually do not use my Flickr account as my portfolio. I use it not only to store all my portfolio photos but my personal shot photos. I actually have my own portfolio site that I share with people when it comes to jobs and such.
Java Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 03:04
Hi, as a Professional Photographer and printer, can I offer some points...

1) Learn to use fill flash, it will brighten up some shadows, and correct the blue colour.
2) Most people are facing the camera with their bodies. Turn bodies away, and have the subject look at the camera for more candid look.
3) shoot groups of people to improve your skills at organising your subjects - a required attribute when doing Professional work.
3) Learn photoshop. Colour correction and light balancing skills will really enhance all your photos..

If I only had the time...
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 04:19
Thank you for the tips!
1. I actually recently invested in a flash and am just learning how to use it correctly (its full manual).
2. Also I have not had much experience with people so I will have to give that a shot sometime.
3. I know my editing skills lack and are not the best and I am currently working on improving them

I really appreciate it. I have only been into photography for about a year and I am only 16 and plan to do this as a part-time job in the future. The criticism helped a lot!
Java Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 06:43
For a one year student you are doing well. Try not to take everybody's comments as verbatim, any 1 image can invoke a thousand variations of comment from a thousand different people. Photography is art, develop your own style and be proud of it.
With the fill flash, learn how to 'pop' it slightly so as to just lighten the shadows slightly. If it's too strong it will kill the photo.
When shooting digital, use raw mode and learn how to correct it in a photoshop like program.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 13:40 Edited at: 6th Mar 2014 13:40
Quote: "When shooting digital, use raw mode and learn how to correct it in a photoshop like program."

That is so important. When I was shooting an old church in Denver I had this beautiful shot of an orange hallway lit up from orange semi-opaque windows. When I downloaded the picture by default everything was gray XD

Well when I set the color mode to natural sunlight the colors shot back to normal!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 05:46
Thats a nice picture Jericho. I also do shoot in RAW and have since I purchased my first DSLR. Thank you a lot for the tips and critisim!
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 16:25
Some great shots! What camera do you use?

I also have a high interest in photography/filmmaking. I'm not great at photography but am fairly decent at framing shots for videos. Go figure.

Come check out my new website!
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 16:39
I use a cannon rebel xs. Really cheap beginner DSLR. I am working to upgrade to a mid-range DSLR such as the 60D.
Java Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 21:44
reply<I use a cannon rebel xs. Really cheap beginner DSLR. I am working to upgrade to a mid-range DSLR such as the 60D.>

Do yourself a favour and save for a full frame camera. You will never regret it. Better pics, better shadows, better lenses, better definition, better low light capability...

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 03:59
Well I was planning on saving up for a 6D. But getting $1000+ is tough as I have school and can't even work a job currently.. I can buy a 60D used for $500.. Money is the only issue keeping me from going full frame..
Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 22:57
Quote: "I use a cannon rebel xs. Really cheap beginner DSLR. I am working to upgrade to a mid-range DSLR such as the 60D."

I have the T3i at the moment. Quite a capable little machine, for both video and photography.

I would second the Full-frame suggestion as well, but seeing as money is an issue (it always is in these sort of hobbies!), the 60D could be a good solution.

Or, better yet, see if you can get a used 7D for cheap, too. It's weatherproof, and while quite a bit older of a model, should be able to handle most of whatever you throw at it.

Come check out my new website!
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 17:44
Thanks for the recommendation I'll definitely checkout the 7D. I find canons naming for the model system odd. The 6D is newer then the 7D so shouldn't it be called the 8D or something? How do they decide the model names? Does anyone know?
Java Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 22:11
Re: 7D
I would be wary of buying a 2nd hand 7D as there have been problems with focusing etc.
The number system starts with the 1D as the flagship. As the numbers rise the technology drops. A 6D is a cheaper full frame and very worthy.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 06:43:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 06:43:06