Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Test video game in a cloud (remote computer) available services?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2014 21:43
I no longer run PCs, (mac user) I want to test games on PCs, are their any cloud services? And by test I mean test my own games, not play other peoples games.

I use Amazon ec2 if ever I need to run an application, and I use their lowest spec instances. Quite frankly I dont really understand the bulk of their tech spec instance computers, I don't think they will have any to run a game? They seem to be for computing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, how can one test games for PC without owning a PC?

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Bootcamp.

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 00:40
i run a macbook, graphics card is not really up to it, got an old G5 mac, better GC, but its non intel, so I dont think that will run boot camp, plus its specs are not really up to much.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh I see, I'd assumed it was intel. I'm sorry I do not know of any alternatives.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 04:52
I don't know of any such services, although perhaps you could use remote desktop on friends to test on their computers? Not sure how that works.

Quote: "Bootcamp."

You're basically telling him to install Windows?
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can anyone point me in the right direction, how can one test games for PC without owning a PC?"

Quote: "You're basically telling him to install Windows? "

Yes, tell me how it wouldn't be a valid solution to the problem. (Obviously it's not practical without an intel processor)

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 07:47 Edited at: 1st Mar 2014 07:49
The only suggestion I had was a VM (Virtual Box, I think it was: the name of tge one I used once. It was on. friend's MacPC so I wasn't paying attention) but if you're still running an old setup then you'll hit a brick wall because of resources. Your best solution is to actually buy/procure the correct tool for the job, ie just buy a non-Mac PC. But if you're testing lightweight apps, maybe VM will work.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
I doubt that - my 2011 MacBook Pro struggles with a vm with 4gb of ram.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 17:16
I guess that leaves option 2: procure the non-Mac PC. You could throw one together from office discards (there are places that are literally throwing them out like my mom's work about ~10 years ago. No kidding, they gave them away). Grab something cheap/free and basic and then just hunt down a compatible video card second hand.
If you need something more serious, then it's rent, borrow or buy because if a cloud service for serious games testing exists, it'll prolly end up costing more in the long run than assembling a capable machine which you could resell once you'd completed the testing. Don't you have a friend with something spare kicking about? That would be easier and cheaper than anything else.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2014 23:03 Edited at: 1st Mar 2014 23:04
I was told this at amazon cloud
Quote: "It depends a lot on your game, naturally, and it depends on the quality of the network between us if you can push the full framerate, but what you're asking for is possible. Look into our G2 and older CG1-type instances. These have the video hardware, CPU, and network capabilities you're looking for."

They gave a link to G2 instances
http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2013/11/04/announcing-new-amazon-ec2-gpu-instance-type/

To compare the g1 and g2 I found this info.
Quote: "GPU Instances
This family includes G2 and CG1 instance types, which provide you with Intel Xeon processors and high-performance NVIDIA GPUs intended for graphics and general purpose GPU compute applications. Currently, there are two types of GPU instances. G2 instances provide access to NVIDIA GRID GPUs (“Kepler” GK104) each with 1,536 CUDA cores and 4GB of video memory. This GPU also features an on-board hardware video encoder designed to support up to eight real-time HD video streams (720p@30fps) or up to four real-time FHD video streams (1080p at 30 fps). The initial driver release provides support for OpenGL 4.3, DirectX 9, 10, and 11, CUDA 5.5, OpenCL 1.1, and GRID SDK. The GRID SDK provides low-level access to the capture and encoding capabilities of GRID GPUs. Combined with the hardware resources of G2 instances, the GRID SDK enables low-latency frame capture and encoding for either the full operating system or select render targets, enabling high-quality interactive streaming experiences.

CG1 instances provide access to NVIDIA Tesla M2050 GPUs (“Fermi” GF100) each with 448 CUDA cores and 3GB of video memory. The latest driver release provides support for CUDA 5.5, OpenCL 1.1, and DirectCompute. The NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK provides hundreds of code samples and white papers to help you get started writing software with CUDA or DirectCompute, allowing you to take advantage of the parallel performance of NVIDIA GPUs.

You can be up and running with Amazon EC2 GPU instances in minutes by leveraging our GPU Amazon Machine Images found in the AWS Marketplace. For immediate access to 3D graphics streaming capabilities, the AWS Marketplace also provides offerings that integrate the NVIDIA GRID SDK and G2 instances.

G2 popular use cases: Game streaming, 3D application streaming, and other server-side graphics workloads.
CG1 popular use cases: Computational chemistry, rendering, financial modeling, and engineering design."

It also shows tables of comparison
http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

It goes a bit above my head, can anyone recommend the right instance? I want to run the game, but I dont want over kill on the computer specs because you run up costs and also someone thats that computer power is having it wasted if you dont need that high specs.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 19:43:35
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 19:43:35