Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Product Launched - Prototype: Primer

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 05:19 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 17:16
Original text codified for archive purposes

Primer was available as of Friday 28th February 2014 in the Windows Store you can click the link below on the right in my sig to view the store page and if you are on Windows 8.1 you will be redirected to the store app automatically… currently listed for £3.99

Added here for future reference:
[/center]

One thing to note the app is written for Windows 8.1 and as such Windows 8 users will not have it available for install… You may be wondering ‘but you mentioned Vista/7/8…’ Some users may have a Windows 8.1 tablet which they can use alongside the prior OS’s…

My Prototype product line has a planned project life of 13 months, meaning I intend to continue to update it for the coming 13 months, aiming for new content each week!

There is a progression plan in the works too!

For now Thanks for reading, and I should be around a lot more soon, as too hopefully more new DBPro users!

Please spread the word!

Regards

Vaseem Valentine
Akane Aya Limited

PS.
I wish I could post this to two boards at the same time... maybe it would be better served in the DBPro board... hmm...

UPDATE LOG:

VERSION 1.1.0.0

VERSION 1.2.0.0

VERSION 1.3.0.0

VERSION 1.4.0.0

VERSION 1.5.0.0

VERSION 1.6.0.0 [CURRENT RELEASE]

VERSION 1.6.1.0+

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 06:24 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 06:25
So is it an interactive book? It's hard to tell what it is exactly. And this is for DBP only? You didn't mention DBP in the product's description, so it's a little bit confusing. The description and summary has a bunch of grammar errors as well, so I'd suggest fixing them up so it doesn't look so amateur.

Some may find this product interesting, so good luck!

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 07:30
Quote: "The description and summary has a bunch of grammar errors as well, so I'd suggest fixing them up so it doesn't look so amateur. "

Written on a whim at the time ^^ at 2am after rushing to get it to the store, will write more detailed information with release 2

Interactive yes, I did not want to show any content on the screenshots and honestly I was meant to pull some images from inside some of my old projects, but I will do that with 'Protototype' Primer is basically that missing guide we sorely needed when starting out in DBPro... I was unsure whether to write DBPro or not in the description...

I am never good at describing my own works... anyhow I must add I started working on the Command Set and implementing them in a visual way and re-writing where needed as well as adding in several examples for each command... all 24 sections of the DBPro standard commands, the ones you see when you press F1 and click COMMANDS... I will begin with simply ebbing out the façade of the groups, the face commands, with syntax on hover and on a weekly basis begin adding in the actual code pages... bit of an undertaking but as you can see, not a project I can walk away from, IT WILL HAPPEN and I am strangely enjoying doing it

Quote: "Some may find this product interesting, so good luck!
"

Thank you!

You can say this is more or less a book, but a book with one way to access it and as such it can and will always remain updated... [Provided I do not lose the project files otherwise I have to start all over again lol]

So basically for us that are already familiar with DBPro...

To explain what Primer is...

It walks users through buying DBPro [DGS] navigating the TGC Store, as well as the My Products area, each Plug-In has a detailed instruction set on how to download them, install them, and run a sample project to ensure it is working... and now it also has the interactive code samples which you can copy and paste directly from the app into the Editor window... [v1.3.0.0]

As it is aimed at 8.1 users it also helps them get the new Synergy Editor

I will run this for around 13 months...

There are two follow on products, one is Prototype which will contain sample projects which use different scenarios of implementation like a game or simulation... and another which I cannot mention the name yet which will focus on coding in the DBPro Language...

WoW, sorry for all that...

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 08:56
Your link isn't working but that's prolly my browser. I'm curious if this is going to be online, offline or optional.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 09:35
Thanks nonZero, you can find a slowly updating website here... http://www.deepredonline.com/products/...

Quote: "I'm curious if this is going to be online, offline or optional."

Primer is entirely offline, and does not require any permissions from your system at all... but of course you need a connection to interact with the TGC website to purchase/download and grab your licence keys and products...

I have tailored Primer to the complete novice, that includes someone who has never heard of TGC and never visited the website... there are hyperlinks which open your browser to jump to the pages of importance, skipping the need to talk them through site navigation... but I am considering a quick guide of the website navigation under requests...

I have just submitted Version 1.2.0.0 it should be uploaded within a few hours if not it can take a few days, when I submitted the app for first release it took around 2 hours in total... so I will post back here when it is approved...

I must begin work on Prototype the main application which will be filled with tutorials starting with the basics... I will be trying to create Modular chunks of code that will enable a sort of engine to be created this was the aim from the start but funny enough someone just recently joined the forum and is looking to do just that... I hope he has Windows 8.1

As I was writing this up Primer Version 1.2.0.0 has passed the first of 6 tests...

Oh also progress on the Code Dictionary for Version 1.3.0.0 is looking good! I will also add a description of the Synergy Editor interface, all menu items and options...

I will also begin work on the third by-product of Prototype soon... hopefully all three can both keep me busy for some time and also fund this venture as well, Nevertheless I have a game to develop this year too... and my shop is being sold today and hopefully signed over at the same time too...

Ahh so much to update on...

Darn plumber failed to show up twice this weekend... need to find a more reliable one asap to fit my new shower...

Time for an Earl Grey!

Ciao. for now!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2014 21:25 Edited at: 10th Mar 2014 21:25
UPDATE Version 1.2.0.0 is now live in the store!

I shall continue work on the code dictionary and interface elements...

I would like to give many thanks to Richard Vanner

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 08:52
If you haven't already thought of this, you may as well re-use some of the material after finishing both projects and do a non-interacrive ebook for Kindle or something.
Also, Protip: You should edit the OP with summarized updates in bullets. Makes it easier for people to follow. It's even become the unofficial standard for projects here. Also, try to reduce self-bumps to further times apart. A good example is The Slayer's 'Seventh Crystal Of Theia' thread. Might be an idea to abbreviate the OP and rm unnecessary bits so your change log is visible.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 19:42
Good Idea...

Just slept for 24 hours lol

I was thinking to keep this as the official thread here, just not really done a proper project WIP before...

I was thinking about the Kindle thing too but that would have to happen next year when I anticipate completing this project

Unless there was a demand for this content being put on Kindle sooner, I need someone to evaluate the content first

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2014 04:29
A month later and there you have it, Primer is pretty much complete as far as my purchases are concerned, time to begin work on Prototype!

Release 1.6.0.0 is in the Windows Store, link in OP...

Sadly there will not be an update on Primer for some months coming as those updates depend on Updates of current Plug-Ins and also when I begin work on my third app which will assist in updating the Codictionary...

From what I have heard Smart Packer Pro has a new update due soon, I will silently update the OP when that is added to Primer...

I hope more DBPro users try out Primer and I do hope my next release creates a stir for DBPro and TGC altogether

Thanks!

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Notes
System requirements
A Desktop Computer required for the development tools
The Desktop Computer will be required to run any of the following OS's Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1
This app focusses on development under Windows 8.1
A system built in the past 5 years should be capable enough...
RAM: 2-4GB+ is recommended
Netbooks and Laptops [built in the past 5 years], Tablets such as Surface Pro 1-2, NUC Systems and similar should be fine..."

Very professional, I love it!

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 20:16 Edited at: 14th Jul 2014 08:37
Uhm Thanks?

EDIT

[RANT]
Gh... these awkward no double posting enforcements are making things weird... I thought it was allowed when you make an update, and when I do, I get penalised but when someone else does it they don't... dear mods, please be more unilateral ^^
[/RANT]

Anyway Updates to Primer are due soon!

Prototype is also due very soon!

And Primer will soon debut on Kindle and possibly another vendor too watch this space!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 10:12:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 10:12:14