Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / problems changing screen resolution on my laptop

Author
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 14:27 Edited at: 4th Mar 2014 14:39
Whenever I change the screen resolution on my laptop to a smaller than recommended size the new desktop is shown in a small rectangular subset of the screen. For example, the native resolution is 1600x900 and that fills the screen as it should. But if I change it to 800x600 it only fills that segment of the main screen. I need to be able to use the lower resolutions with the entire screen area for certain older software.

Strangely, DBPro uses the whole available screen area when I use a lower resolution such as 640x480. If DBPro can do it why can't Windows?

Is there a setting somewhere in Control Panel that needs to be checked?

Edit Just done some testing in DBPro and DBPro uses the whole screen area if I use FullDesktop (my usual setting) but does the same as windows if I use Fullscreen in the project settings, i.e. a lower resolution is displayed as a smaller rectangle in the middle of the screen. So perhaps there's a setting somewhere which forces Windows to do what the DBPro Fulldesktop setting does? Any ideas where to look?

Powered by Free Banners
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 16:32
With an nvidia graphicscard you can change the scaling of your screen when a lower resolution is used. That can be accessed in nvidia controlpanel.

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 16:45
DBP uses a boderless window for what I call "emulated full-screen". Essentially:
SET WINDOW ON
SET WINDOW LAYOUT 0,0,0
SET DISPLAY MODE 1600, 900, 32 // In your case.
This is merely an undecorated window. Onto fs(full-screen)...

When you enter fs, the monitor itself will:
1. Scale to fit - the image is up- or down-scaled to fill the monitor's native resolution either by x or y, whichever is appropriate based on the AR.
2. Do nothing. Display the image pixel-fo-pixel, centered and surrounded by black.
3. Simply stretch the image to fit.

There is usually a choice in the monitor settings on what to do. Certain graphics cards can also control this. For either in a laptop, the settings are usually in the bios. I know AMD/ATI chipsets can be controlled from the Catalyst Control Center in Windows IF this feature is supported. You'll have to just look and see.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 18:31 Edited at: 4th Mar 2014 19:21
Quote: "That can be accessed in nvidia controlpanel."

Thanks - someone else on another forum suggested the same solution - unfortunately I can't find the relevant page in the Nvidia Control Panel. This is what the NCP Help file says:

Quote: "Display Scaling
The flat panel scaling controls are now located in the NVIDIA Control Panel Adjust Desktop Size and Position page. Use the settings on that page to change how lower resolution images are scaled to fit your flat panel display."

What it doesn't tell you is how to find that page.

Elsewhere in the NCP Help file it tells you this:

Quote: "To scale my desktop - Windows Vista and later

From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Adjust Desktop Size and Position to open the page."

Where is this navigation pane? I'm getting rather frustrated with this.

There is one more place I can look. Sounds like the right fix - just locating the damn place to fix it is the problem.

Powered by Free Banners
Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 19:10
It should look like this - and if it does not then I dunno how to help you, sorry.

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2014 19:29
Seems like the option isn't available for me then. This is what I see (attached).

The other option is to tinker with the BIOS - and I have no idea how to safely do that.