Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Code beautification and formatting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 10:02 Edited at: 6th Mar 2014 10:07
So I've been giving it some thought and I, along with prolly half the *nix community, may be wrong. I always open my curly braces on the same line. But I recently got to thinking that maybe I shouldn't. Curly braces denote code blocks and can enclose and isolate a piece of code, making everything local within it. Therefore maybe they should line up (ie open on a new line). But it just doesn't look right. Maybe because I've coded this way for years. That got me to thinking about style in general. I have strict disciplines about things like all comments being on the RHS and starting at column 85 (at least for C, my style varies per language). I also always double-indent the first statement following a function, struct, etc and then single-indent all nested statements afterwards. I even align declarations so that the variables all start on the same column and, much to the C++ community's horror, I try to declare everything at the top of a function. The return statement for functions with returns is always on its own, separated by a blank line and functions are separated by three newlines. I align parameters that are part of a call that's too long for a single line and align enums, variable declarations, etc too. All in all, my code looks neat, imho. Yet... I feel it's lacking. Like it's still missing something. So I thought maybe you guys could share your opinions and techniques. Maybe we can all learn something as pretty code is what I strive for.

ver 7.5 /// int 145 /// str 45 /// dex 85 /// end 200 /// mat 3
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 11:28
No idea what you think is lacking. Colour? Sound? Taste?

Your suggestions are very similar to my own conventions. A minor quibble is with the braces, brackets issue. If the code block fits neatly on one line (without it being inconveniently long) I often put the opening and closing brackets on the same line. Otherwise I make sure the opening and closing brackets line up clearly in the vertical direction. In my opinion that makes it easy to see where a code block starts and finishes. But that works for me - others might see it differently. For example, text .X files often have blocks structured like this:

That's not too bad because the starting character of the block, e.g. the "M" of "MeshTextureCoords {" lines up vertically with the closing "}". I prefer something like

or perhaps

Anyway, such distinctions are nit-picking and the important thing is to have a consistent readable style which you seem to have.

Powered by Free Banners
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 14:09
Yeah, you're right. My problem is I'm never satisfied. So, I like to see as many alternatives as possible so I can get a broader view. I'm like that. I spent weeks writing a simple FIFO buffer because of that and even now I think back to things I could change. In all likelihood, I'll go crazy and cut an ear off before 50 and then the other one after 50 in the name of symmetry.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 15:05
I usualy open the brackets on a new line to make sure that they allign with the closing bracket. Usually I indent the code one step per bracket (or code segment) for example, I indent declarations after public: one more step since they are "part of public".

Also I prefer to use 4 spaces as indentation and usualy use the tab character instead of 4 spaces.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 18:21
Quote: "I usualy open the brackets on a new line to make sure that they allign with the closing bracket. Usually I indent the code one step per bracket (or code segment) for example, I indent declarations after public: one more step since they are "part of public"."

I prefer it this way as well. I do use 3 spaces instead of 4, I find 4 too much.

"Giraffe is soft, Gorilla is hard." - Phaelax
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2014 20:48
For those of you using C++, how do you structure classes in files. I used to keep one class per file but now I have started using one file per "feature". So the file world.h contains a World class, a Segment class and a Building class.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 01:00
I'm pretty simple, scopes intended (tabbed) and markers aligned to the left most border. Do like a good headline around key markers & sections, really just depends on the IDE..

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2014 10:48 Edited at: 7th Mar 2014 11:28
I used to use 3 spaces. then I started using 4 because I started using a smaller screen with a higher resolution (laptop) so 3 spaces didn't stand out. It's also why I started double-indenting the first nest-level in functions/etc.
I also sometimes compress if-blocks on a single line and I always use curly braces, eg:
if (something) {doThis();}
For which I've come under fire for. Personally, it's a safety thing for me. It makes me feel secure even though it isn't necessary. I can't actually not do it. It also ensures I always keep things in context. It's one of my many quirks like how I declare enums vertically to make them readable. I've never considered good or bad practice, just readability.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 8th Mar 2014 13:07
Quote: "I also sometimes compress if-blocks on a single line and I always use curly braces, eg:
if (something) {doThis();}
For which I've come under fire for. Personally, it's a safety thing for me. It makes me feel secure even though it isn't necessary. I can't actually not do it. It also ensures I always keep things in context. It's one of my many quirks like how I declare enums vertically to make them readable. I've never considered good or bad practice, just readability."

I sometimes insert the braces in that situation as well for the same reason - but I confess to not being very consistent about it.