Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Best final "official" FPSC Build?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone,
What is the best, stable, no-crash, not slow, fewest errors, final FPSC exe Build?
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
One of the most stable version I find is still v1.09 to v1.16.

v1.17 and above is where the source became pretty buggy with features like the gui system that slows down fpsc loads.

Many things got broken but v1.20 has tried to fix as many as possible.

That why reloaded has ended up being started from almost scratch to get rid of all the problem fpsc has become.

Best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 15:09
Quote: "v1.17 and above is where the source became pretty buggy with features like the gui system that slows down fpsc loads."

I disagree. V1.17 did not contain any features like the GUI system you mention. As a matter of fact, v1.17 is where the introduction to DarkAI came into the source (along with the code for shaders). The GUI was added in v1.18 (along with water) and that is where it started getting buggy.

Quote: "One of the most stable version I find is still v1.09 to v1.16."

Does v1.09 allow building more than 5 levels? If so then that version is fine, but v1.15-1.16 do not, so unless one does not mind building developments in 5 level chunks, it is of no usage.

Plus the fact any version available on TGC's site (v1.17 and lower) are not recompiled to work on Win 7. So it is kind of pointless to use unless one takes that version source and recompiles in DBP with U77 so it will work.

Quote: "That why reloaded has ended up being started from almost scratch to get rid of all the problem fpsc has become."

Really? From scratch?

There's no problem that can't be solved without applying a little scripting.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I disagree. V1.17 did not contain any features like the GUI system you mention. As a matter of fact, v1.17 is where the introduction to DarkAI came into the source (along with the code for shaders). The GUI was added in v1.18 (along with water) and that is where it started getting buggy."

You right the gui didn't go in but v1.17 is still very buggy people don't have a mod version with a lot of the fixes in like yourself.

I tested v1.09 and v1.15 and they work in windows 8 and 8.1 to my surprise, many projects have been built with more than 5 levels back in the day of v1.09 and v1.15 early days.

I'm not sure when this must of got broken but from v1.16 a lot of stuff started to get broke.

Quote: "Really? From scratch?"

Lee had to take almost everything out apart from the core structure as fpsc classic is way to buggy to work with for a new project.

You just have to wait and see as not much can be said but I'm even impressed with whats being worked on.

best s4real

Pack ya games with vishnu packer its free. Vishnu game launcher is now released.
Help keep vishnu free by Donating now :- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208057&b=21
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2014 18:17 Edited at: 9th Mar 2014 18:18
Quote: " many projects have been built with more than 5 levels back in the day of v1.09 and v1.15 early days."

Now that is strange. We had two developments in v1.15 that would not build past 5 levels (back before we finally decided to mod the source ourselves). Then v1.16 came out so we tried again and it was the same thing. We ended up selling the developments, but they had two sections of 5 levels each and wrapped in our own launcher. I'd be curious to know how our 1.15 version would not build but other 1.15 versions could. It was one of the reasons we remained in v1.17- the building more than 5 levels was "addressed" in this version.

Quote: "I tested v1.09 and v1.15 and they work in windows 8 and 8.1 to my surprise"

That too is strange. As taken from Lee's post in DBP with the U77 upgrade...

...by theory, they should not work since they were compiled in an older version of DBP prior to the above issue.

When we bought a new laptop with Win 7 64 bit, it would not run v1.17, v1.16, or v1.15. After compiling v1.17 using DBP (U77) it would work. I wonder... did Windows 8 correct the problem since you can run v1.15 on it? I'm curious to know what might have changed, since we do not use Windows 8.

cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
I have one build packed with fpsc vpacker pro that works fine with win 7 and wont unpack correctly on win 8.1 and I have an unpacked version that works on the same win8.1 that wont work on the same win7.
Is there are mod that works with things like all post process, camshake, and other later niceties v(including fixing earlier shader issues) that works more across xp, win7, win8?
I know they consider "classic" closed moving on to reloaded, but there needs to be a true ending point for compatibility- it looks and plays as good as any modern release would need to on a single system- but this needs to be debugged to a final version for all current systems before closing that door in my opinion.
This game could easily be an example of how something pro CAN be done with FPSC. I don't want/need most of the new expanded outdoor level building of reloaded but will consider moving to it for a later release, but I wouldn't consider investing in "R" if the decision to complete the first product doesn't resolve current tech issues. It takes several years to complete such a product- will they discontinue "R" by the time early issues are fixed?
I am a huge FPSC fan, so don't take this as a complaint session- just need, and deserve, one stable option with good features and reliability on xp/7/8.
Thanks everyone SO much for your input on this.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I have one build packed with fpsc vpacker pro that works fine with win 7 and wont unpack correctly on win 8.1 "

Vpacker prob wont work due to the new admin controls in windows 8 and 8.1 this is why vishnu packer had to be updated to support windows 8 and 8.1.

Vpacker is not vishnu packer.

=====================================================================

Quote: "That too is strange. As taken from Lee's post in DBP with the U77 upgrade...

+ Code Snippet

...by theory, they should not work since they were compiled in an older version of DBP prior to the above issue.

When we bought a new laptop with Win 7 64 bit, it would not run v1.17, v1.16, or v1.15. After compiling v1.17 using DBP (U77) it would work. I wonder... did Windows 8 correct the problem since you can run v1.15 on it? I'm curious to know what might have changed, since we do not use Windows 8."

I have the same problem with windows 7 sp1 but they do work fine for me in windows 8.1 64bit, winodws 8.1 is a very diffrent beast and you do have to make everything run as admin with fpsc.

===================================================================
Quote: "
Now that is strange. We had two developments in v1.15 that would not build past 5 levels (back before we finally decided to mod the source ourselves). Then v1.16 came out so we tried again and it was the same thing. We ended up selling the developments, but they had two sections of 5 levels each and wrapped in our own launcher. I'd be curious to know how our 1.15 version would not build but other 1.15 versions could. It was one of the reasons we remained in v1.17- the building more than 5 levels was "addressed" in this version."

Anderson & The Legacy of Cthulhu was one massive game that I could remb.

There was more but its so long ago to remb them and where release a few years before your time on the forum.

I think late v1.15 is where it got broke and wasn't fixed until v1.18 where you added it to your mod I should say.

Best s4real

Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 17:56
OK so I want to jump in this thread and ask what would be the best upgrade to use? I am re-installing and had ran FPSC with 1.19 and it seemed to crash a lot. I ran the others also but don't remember how they ran. I am running it on an older Sony Vaio with Vista for now.
michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 18:31 Edited at: 11th Mar 2014 18:46
I don't know what these guys are talking about but 118 is the best one of them all it has the water and dark ai update for pack 53 which 117 lack to work well with pack 53. 119 and 120 are no good they have more commands but are so unstable. 120 was suppose to fix all the bugs from 119 instead it just got worst. the best mod to use with 118 is wasp mod v2 you will get more commands out of that. I own window 7 32bit and 64bit and fpsc 118 works great on both. plus 118+wasp mod will save you memory on the cap. the game build works find and I can build pass 5 levels. I have been looking for the best way to use fpsc for years and so far this is the best combo. 118 also works on windows 8 and when I did have vista it work find on there to. but I suggest upgrading from vista to windows 7.

also 115 and 116 is the most stable from when Lee was taking over the updates he fix the save and load in 115 and made some more fixes in 116. but these packs are outdated and might not work well with newer packs.also you only get 30fps unlike 117 and 118 60fps and better performance.

wasp mod worst bug is the tear on the screen when you move the player this is cause by the speed up in the frames of the mod but 118 alone does not have the tear.

overall bugs are bug and it depend on how you can work around them. there is no bug free version of fpsc.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
Dragon slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 18:41
I will probably skip 7 and go right to 8 with a new laptop purchase sometime in the near future. Not gonna waste the money to upgrade the OS on this one. Looks like it is 1.18. If I remember right I had very little problems with it.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 18:56 Edited at: 11th Mar 2014 19:34
Quote: "I don't know what these guys are talking about but 118 is the best one of them all it has the water and dark ai update for pack 53 which 117 lack to work well with pack 53."

Well, what we are talking about is what upgrade seems to work best. The answer is quite simple- which ever one works well for the individual. My posts with s4real was to clear up some misconceptions to when certain features got added when. He mentioned "v1.17 and above is where the source became pretty buggy with features like the gui system that slows down fpsc loads" to which I corrected him that the GUI system was in fact added to v1.18 when water and DarkAI was expanded. A lot of people reported issues with v1.19, and v1.20 has not even been finalized (and may never be) for a final upgrade release.

Quote: "I own window 7 32bit and 64bit and fpsc 118 works great on both. plus 118+wasp mod will save you memory on the cap. the game build works find and I can build pass 5 levels."

This is a non-issue. The "can't build past 5 levels" goes back to v1.16 and lower (seems somewhere during v1.15). From v1.17 onward, it was addressed and works on XP, Vista, Win 7 (32 and 64 bit). I don't use Win 8 so cannot comment on that OS. But it is important to know of the existing issue in case someone wants to downgrade.

Quote: "Looks like it is 1.18"

Version 1.18 worked great. I would have used it myself had the GUI code not been there. We chose v1.17 and rewrote that entire source, fixing the bugs and expanding on it for our needs. Even ported in water, expanded on the AI, implemented LUA, and added other features so we can have the best of all versions in one.

Quote: "overall bugs are bug and it depend on how you can work around them. there is no bug free version of fpsc."

Exactly. You can have bugs appear in any version- it all boils down to what you are trying to do when the issue occurs. That is where the work around solutions come into play. Instead of trying to do something one way, you have to do something else, add a delay, do this instead, etc. Knowing the engine, it's strengths and weaknesses, and how to solve issues is key for any version.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 19:44
Quote: "Exactly. You can have bugs appear in any version- it all boils down to what you are trying to do when the issue occurs. That is where the work around solutions come into play. Instead of trying to do something one way, you have to do something else, add a delay, do this instead, etc. Knowing the engine, it's strengths and weaknesses, and how to solve issues is key for any version."

that is so true as I now have no performance issues because I can see what cause it to happen with level designe. I wonder where can I find your games you both build with fpsc?

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 21:09 Edited at: 11th Mar 2014 21:13
Quote: "v1.20 has not even been finalized (and may never be) for a final upgrade release."

The problem was a few people to fix the issues in there spare time, plus myself didn't have all the packs to test some of the issues out.

I agreeee with both michael x and blackfox the best one will be the one you find best for your needs.

I know people who still use 1.09 with s4mod because its the most stable for them.(s4mod was recompiled to work with sp1 so this is why it still works for windows 7 sp1 users.)

FPSC is a funny beast.

Quote: "120 are no good they have more commands but are so unstable"

If you use the unoffcial ones they have loads of bug fixes and is at a pretty stable state apart from a few issues that we do need to fix if we ever have the time.

A good example that use v1.20 unoffcial is PHOBIA 1.5 (Phobia 2)

At the end of the day all have issues as both have said but my personal stable version for me are :-

v1.18 using waspmod.

best s4real

cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
I've tried one of the last 1.2.0020 unofficial builds and got the skyscroll skyspeed control working again- no camshake- works fine on xp, win7, and win8/8.1, but not on all win8.1, and when packed into FPSC V-packer- crashes Win8/8.1 Same testing 1.2.018 seems to work on all platforms- camshake works (different effect than others- shakes you around instead of up and down) and skyscroll is just standard fast scroll hard edge (the mod with skyspeed also does wonderful smooth edge).
Is there anything 'official' after 1.2.018 that has skyscroll speed AND working camshake AND has actually been successfully tested xp,win7,win8? Also- includes mscv files mentioned for win8 fixes in testing.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Is there anything 'official' after 1.2.018 that has skyscroll speed AND working camshake AND has actually been successfully tested xp,win7,win8? Also- includes mscv files mentioned for win8 fixes in testing. "

Yes the latest unoffcial version has the fixes for the camshake here:- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=208795&b=21
Its version v1.20 beta_19j just tested and its working fine.

V-packer as far as I know does not work with windows 8 and 8.1.

I would of said tried Vishnu packer but I've taken them all down now as Vishnu packer moving on to be another project.

Best s4real

cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi s4- thank you for your input, and even more so for all of the awesome work you have done over the years.

I want to use 19j, because it looks correct on both effects!
But, it has a 'save game' crash and that rules it out.

We've been doing extensive testing with V-Packer and working on updates, since the final version that it should be expected to pack is Win8/8.1 We have unpacked versions working on different systems different scenarios, and years of art worked into the engine looking awesome, so definitely not going to build on a new engine anytime soon. Smartpacker Pro and Trial are building successful Win8/8.1 packed versions, but sometimes requiring Win7 compatibility and some not.

Once we have the fewest crashes XP, Win7, Win8/8.1 I can finalize an exe.
I wish Vishnu were still going. It is going to be a while before reloaded has the features needed to release a full project, and honestly I finally, Finally, have everything the way I want in Classic! don't it figure?

Your time would not be wasted if you were able to fix the save game issue in 19j and if I can pack it I'd certainly use it over the others!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for your import caould you please tell me the last version that didn't have save and load issue?

best s4real

cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi s4real-
I don't know if this is the last version- but for me it was the most stable last version- has the good skyspeed control but does not have good camshake- I think everything else was resolved:
unofficial 17-7-2013 1.20 beta 19d

Your current "j" seems perfect minus the save game crash.
mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "V-packer as far as I know does not work with windows 8 and 8.1."

FPSC V-Packer does support Windows 8.x

To improve Windows 8 support we have replaced the V-Packer run-time engine with the one from Smart Packer Pro.

The updated FPSC V-Packer trial version will be available next week.

Smart Packer Pro - Distribute games and applications
V-Packer for Games - Compress your game files into one executable
Flash Packer - Pack your Flash movies
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
@cds1234 :- There a new update that fixes save and crash and looks like you can now get a newer update for V packer that supports windows 8 so all good for ya

best s4real

cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi There,

Currently testing the V Packer update.
s4real, can you please tell me where to find the update that fixes the crash, has skyspeed, and camshake?
I believe "j" is the last build you had done which needs the save crash fix.
Is there a "k"?

Thanks !
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Found v1.20.19_beta_v1.12-
Will try it out.
Any reports on stability yet?
Saw culling is back in and comments on shaders- I'll test it out as well.Personally not a culling fan but I understand many like to optimize with it- I personally find I have to add culling distance to everything or it pops in and out of view at weird close distances.
Thanks!
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Been testing- so far so good!
Haven't run into any of the culling stuff I previously disliked so that is awesome as well!

I will say one thing that has always bugged me- if it were changed I'd be perfectly set to go- I noticed in a few game demos that people had fixed the footstep speed. In my opinion, they are about 20% too fast. As long as a map is small enough not to drag on a system using a good graphics card- it sounds like the person is shuffling around. Steps are definitely too fast. If trying to run and the map has even a little drag to it- it is ridiculous- it sounds like someone is tap dancing- which is especially sad when you are trying to make something scary-lol!
Any idea who may have made that modification or is there actually a command change I don't know about?
(Not playerspeed- footsteps compared to rate of motion).
Anyway- thank you for the update !!!!! If you are inspired to slow the footsteps down I would be SO thankful!!!
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Still working well- using as main fpsc-game build- seems stable.
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using last unofficial too and all works fine except the fact that I cannot change Ambience level form build tab/menu (whenewer I choose doesnt apply) and must set it form test game with "," and "." saving with "enter" and the fact that underwater shader by bond1 works fine but only if I cannot set postprocessing to 3 or higher ...
it's right or I'm missing something??
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 05:14
JC LEON
If it's the underwater shader I'm thinking of, that would be the
"full screen" post-process shader. And yes, you can't set "post-process" to 3. Set it to 1 (one).

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
@ ncmako

ok.. but is there a way to use the shader and have the post process set to 3 ??

and why..if I set postprocess to 3 lightrays come trought walls??

is there a way I can have lightrays only on open ares of the level and exclude interiors??
DarkCaiser
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 11:16 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 13:41
I am currently using version 1.20 beta 6 with rpg mod because i prefer working with multiple global variables. I am interested in upgrading to the latest unofficial build.
I don't think it would allow me to integrate mods in it, so would I be able to use multiple global variables in my games with 1.20 beta 17a + an unofficial build?
An advice would be appreciated

Regards
Usman Khan(DarkCaiser)
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 13:52 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 13:57
@JC LEON :-
Quote: " I cannot change Ambience level form build tab/menu (whenewer I choose doesnt apply) and must set it form test game with "," and "." saving with "enter" and the fact that underwater shader by bond1 works fine but only if I cannot set postprocessing to 3 or higher ...
it's right or I'm missing something??"

The ambience saves where changed to make it easy while in test game so you can save your changes when in test game.

Also once the game is built you can't change them with these settings as people on the forum felt people could cheat by changing the ambience so this is why you can only change it in test game.

when you on postproccessing=3 the system uses a diffrent full screen shader and you can only have one full screen shader at a time so thats why the underwatershader will not work with this setting.

Script full screen shaders only work on postproccessing=1

Lightrays are auto config and work like a proper sun.

Quote: "ok.. but is there a way to use the shader and have the post process set to 3 ??"

No there noway to do this but you could make lightray decals as the ligthray system uses a lot of performance.

The only other method is to make your own lightray full screen shader and use it with a script.

Check out rolfys video that use this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxk6-8jegKQ

===================================================================

Quote: "I am currently using version 1.20 beta 6 with rpg mod because i prefer working with multiple global variables. I am interested in upgrading to the latest unofficial build.
I don't think it would allow me to integrate mods in it, so would I be able to use multiple global variables in my games with 1.20 beta 17a + an unofficial build?
An advice would be appreciated i am looking for an answer for a week now? :-|

Regards"

Depends what variables you using, if you using the mods variables then no you can use them without the mod.

If the variables are the ones that are in the unoffcial build then yes it would work.

But the rule is you wont have the features of rpg mod updating to the unoffcial.

best s4real

System spec :-
Amd fx4100 runing at 4.0,8gb rams,3tb harddrive space, geforce 450gts
DarkCaiser
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Depends what variables you using, if you using the mods variables then no you can use them without the mod.

If the variables are the ones that are in the unoffcial build then yes it would work.

But the rule is you wont have the features of rpg mod updating to the unoffcial.

best s4real"

Thank you.

Regards
Usman Khan(DarkCaiser)
JC LEON
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2014 15:25 Edited at: 5th Apr 2014 15:26
@ S4REAL

Thanks.. for your response...very useful as always
I''try the video ant attempt to use a lightray shader
cds1234
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi There,

Been testing your build that fixed the Save Game crash.
I have discovered two issues.
1- When you Save and then Reload, it has the location correct, but you always lose 100 Health.
2- When you Reload, your player is always holding whatever item is in the first slot of your inventory.
Please let me know if this is something that can be fixed.

We are so close!

Thank you so much.
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the report could you please report all future bugs in the bug report thread.

I will look into this.

best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
Susysyay
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 01:18 Edited at: 16th Apr 2014 01:20
Not 100% sure if this is strictly a 1.20 issue, but I started getting this shader issue, specific to the stock WW2 characters.

Any help or confirmation would be appreciated.

Latest 1.20 Build, GTX570 on Win7

I'm posting this on the unofficial thread too

-Winner of the X10 Revival Competition, Susysyay
"I'm havin' too good a time today, I ain't even thinkin' bout tomorrow."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
ncmako
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2014 04:42
@ Susysyay
Yes I can confirm, but only the stock German characters. None of the other characters. Seems to be related to texture and shader?
Also when the character turns (or I turn around character) problem is gone. Sort of like, the texture is lit up on one side but not the other. Don't know how else to put it.

You know you're a bad gamer when you're able to run out of infinite lives.
Comby
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Susysyay

I had the same problem, I fixed it by switching to fastbone.fx
DolphinLover30
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow I have been away a while. Bought "Classic" long before Reloaded was even mentioned and currently have the 1.19 update on Win 7 x64 with no problems and a few addon packs. I keep seeing this 1.20 upgrade I do not see posted by TGC as available and if "unofficial" is the classification ill stick with official 1.19 or maybe drop to 1.18 if it runs better. Picking up Reloaded soon if my pc can run it as it is a 2011 Acer Aspire One netbook with awesome graphics support but only a 1.3 overclocked dual core processor and 4 GB ram max. Classic runs on this with ease.

This town in infested with killer cockroaches ... repeat ... killer cockroaches!!
s4real
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "unofficial" is the classification ill stick with official "

The reason why the thread is unofficial is because TGC are not supporting it at the moment and its a one man team myself keeping it upto date.

My advice is to download the unoffcial as it has loads of fixes as v1.19 is a pretty buggy version.

Install a second copy of fpsc and try the unoffcial as there also loads of new features as well.

Best s4real

Amd fx4100,6gb ram,geforce 450
A dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 22:37
Quote: "The reason why the thread is unofficial is because TGC are not supporting it at the moment and its a one man team myself keeping it upto date."

Keep up the good work man.

Don't waste your life
Mriganka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2014 20:08
So when is TGC going to announce the official release or update of version 1.20?

I'm currently using the latest beta of that version and it is a lot less buggier than 1.19. A lot!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 05:49:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 05:49:45