Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Best Android dev software

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 21:42
I need an unbiased opinion here, yes this is a TGC forum and I love dark basic pro, but AppGameKit I don't like at all. I don't like that the syntax is different and I have no appreciation for what I've seen of it's 3d capabilities. So does anyone have any experience with other mobile game dev kits?
I'm looking at Unity, gamesalad, stencyl, etc. Preferably free to publish on android as I have no use for IOS. Tall order, yes.
Since I have no experience in anything like this I'm trying to sort out which would be easiest to start with. Off hand I'd go with unity, but maybe something else would be easier for a beginner?

New sig coming soon..
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 23:52
Monkey. If you like DBP you'll LOVE Monkey.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th Mar 2014 23:58 Edited at: 13th Mar 2014 23:59
First, AppGameKit is the closest to DBPro you will find. The Syntax is the same, just the commands are different. It's pretty easy to learn.

But from my experience of those you mentioned:
Unity, steep learning curve, 3d only which puts me off straight away (although I believe the latest version can do 2d...)
Gamesalad, Urghh! Hate that one nuff said
Stencyl, it's good, but very simple
Out of those 3, I'd go for Stencyl

Also, it's important to say that it's not possible to publish for *free* on iOS, there's the $99 developer fee...

Put simple, my opinion is that AppGameKit is the best coding out there. But it's got it's problems (a bit buggy, rather limited set of commands, difficult to compile for other platforms)
The most polished one has to be GameMaker::Studio, but it's expensive. Fortunately it manages to combine simplicity and power (if you're willing to learn GM script). It's main problem is that it's so easy you probably won't put the time into using it to it's maximum potential.
Construct 2 is pretty good as well, but still limited.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and there's monkey. If haven't tried it personally though, but many people say it's good

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 00:55
UDK is android capable too. UDK is free for indies. (With caveats)

But, i'd stick with AGK. For it's cost, it's surprisingly good.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 18:33:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 18:33:54