Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Forum software with badges?

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 10:35
I am thinking about starting up a forum on my webpage, now that my game is getting more attention. I am considering running a crowd funding and I want to award backers with badges. Similar to how TGC does on this forum. But I can't find a forum software that has this built in or even has a mod for it. Only thing I can find is sub groups and stars. Anyone got a suggestion?

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 15:09
Yup, try Proboards, I've created many a forum for people and that's what I'd go with as you can have plugins. One of them is an Award System in which you can attach awards (or use them as badges).

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 22:32
Thanks for the tip. But I want something I can install on my own website, and do some other stuff with. This service is a bit limiting to me.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 23:46
Quote: "But I want something I can install on my own website,"

More details on what you are using would maybe allow someone to answer your question better...

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 02:40
Seems to be possible with the built-in features of phpBB 3+ (which is a pretty comprehensive, open source forum solution that you can run and modify as you see fit on your own server).

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 03:23
Build your own forum

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 11:17 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 11:20
Quote: "More details on what you are using would maybe allow someone to answer your question better..."

Something PHP based I can install on my webhotel. I'm using one.com if that makes any difference.

Quote: "Seems to be possible with the built-in features of phpBB 3+"

I'be been looking at phpBB as a likely candidate. This feature does not allow for images but it is better than nothing. Hadn't seen it before. However, I can't get it to work using their test feature. Will play around with it some more. Thanks for the link

Quote: "Build your own forum"

I did that once back when I had more time. But it's a lot of work and I never did the whole backend part. Using an existing forum software saves a ton of work.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 15:29
Currently I am considering either phpBB or SMF. They seems to be the two most popular ones. Not sure which one to go with yet, or if there's another option I should consider.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 19:16
I'll be installing and trying out SMF this weekend. I have always preferred their look and feel over phpBB. I found a mod that adds custom fields. It supports BB code so I might be able to use that to work in some badges. I'll post my results in here for anyone interested.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 11:33
Quote: "This feature does not allow for images but it is better than nothing."

Pretty sure you can just put < img src = " ... " /> in the name of that. If it filters it out, all you have to do is change the script presenting it to not strip out HTML tags.

Quote: "I'm using one.com"

Cool, me too since 10 years now

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 13:29 Edited at: 16th Mar 2014 13:30
I have now been playing around with SMF and it turns out that that mod is now part of the main installation. Just need to turn it on. And it's quite easy to get that to display custom badges. Basically I can wrap the text added to that field in html code. So it now loads a png with the name of the badge as well as show the badge title when you put the mouse cursor on top of it. I need one field for each badge. But that's fine for now. I don't think modding in a proper badge system in the future is going to be too hard.

Quote: "Cool, me too since 10 years now"

Their service is quite good, and for the price it's hard to beat

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 12:47
Quote: " Currently I am considering either phpBB or SMF. They seems to be the two most popular ones. Not sure which one to go with yet, or if there's another option I should consider."

IMO You can't do any better than Vanilla:

http://vanillaforums.org/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:23:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:23:50