Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / OUYA - No longer making hardware

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
So, looks like OUYA aren't making a physical device anymore. Wonder what that means for AGK's OUYA integration?
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Still - Amazon's Android console could well be very good news for AppGameKit developers!
Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 13:13
I always felt that the OUYA was making a big splash among developers, but would find it hard to convince users. I also don't see them continuing as a software platform to be any different. There are already many Android software stores and Google have just bought Green throttle games. Suggesting much better controller support within the stock Android and an official Google controller. Or even a Nexus Console ?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 14:39
This is not true at all. Basically it's loads of incorrect articles floating around the net.

This is the original article where OUYA everywhere was first mentioned 2 weeks ago.

From the official newsletter:
Quote: "
OUYA EVERYWHERE

Last week, we shared our OUYA Everywhere strategy -- to put your games in front of gamers wherever they game. We’re pursuing this now because we believe the software platform is ready.

We know the challenge is to do this while maintaining a consistent experience, so your game runs reliably on each device. We are hard at work making sure that is the case. In the future, we hope to see OUYA embedded into every television, set-top box, and console.

As we continue to bring on partners (our first is Madcatz’s M.O.J.O), we’ll work with all of you to fine tune our approach and implementation. We’re always open to feedback -- in fact, we just started a new thread in the OUYA DEV FORUM to answer specific questions as they arise.

Lastly, OUYA 2 is still a thing. We have always planned to have a reference device for OUYA. Just sayin…"

Basically this means that OUYA will continue making hardware, but other manufacturers will also be able to get access to OUYA content.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 17:11
Although I really like the concept of OUYA I feel that it will be a short-lived platform. Now that Google Chrome Cast SDK is out devs will just use that to allow folks to play games on a big screen. I also won't be surprised if Steam adds in Android support to their OS. I do love the competition that has started in the console world though. Sony and M$ have raked us over the coals for too long!

DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, sorry if I've got this wrong.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 17:40
Quote: "Although I really like the concept of OUYA I feel that it will be a short-lived platform. Now that Google Chrome Cast SDK is out devs will just use that to allow folks to play games on a big screen."

OUYA has 2 advantages as I see it. First it has a lot of games (702 at the time of writing) and a large base of developers. Second it is all in the box with a controller for $99, just plug it in and keep it plugged in. All games works with the controller and using your phone or tablet with a 3rd party controller just isn't as convenient.

Quote: "Oh, sorry if I've got this wrong. "

Not your fault The net is just filled with incorrect articles. There's a lot of journalists who either hate the OUYA or doesn't understand it. They just keep on listing the same old problems that no longer exists. And regarding this latest issue, it's a misunderstanding and they link to each other instead of the original source. I don't understand why OUYA hasn't made an official statement yet, like a Youtube video. They did that after the FTG fund fiasco.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 17:49
I agree and I still want one

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 18:50
Quote: "I agree and I still want one"

You should get the black 16GB model, unless you are waiting for OUYA 2. I still think that owning a version 1 is best for game devs. Making sure that your game runs well on that means it will run on all OUYAs and similar devices.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 18:51
I'd probably go for the 1st version just for that reason.
Also I imagine it will be even cheaper when 2 is out (or available on ebay cheaper)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 16:05:06
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 16:05:06