Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Best open space game fo PC

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 15:13
Now that I have a beefy quadcore x64 bit - 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 machine, goes anyone know of a good open space game? Something like the old Elite game?

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 15:18
If you are looking for a more strategy/trading oriented game, x3 might be something to look into. It's pretty slow paced but has a really deep economy and strategy system.

Limit theory is a game that is in development and was kickstarted a year ago which looks really promising. The game looks really pretty and the developer is currently working on AI and a dynaimc world. There is no playable version yet though

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 15:58
IMO the 2 best open space games aren't finished yet!

Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen are what you need to keep an eye on.

In the meantime, heck I'd either play an Evochron series game, or start making your own space game. Seriously, making your own space exploration game is about as much fun as playing one - at least for a developer IMO. If it's the exploration that you crave, then what better place to explore than your own world!

That's how I think about it at least - I want a really epic space game as well, but there's nothing that comes close until those aforementioned games are finished, so why not take matters into your own hands.

I am the one who knocks...
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
X3 Albion Prelude is the best in the X series. I wouldn't bother with X-Rebirth yet because it still has bugs and IMHO is nothing compared to X3AP in terms of game play and flexibility.

I too am waiting for Star Citizen. I haven't heard of Elite Dangerous, but I'm going to YouTube it now!

The fastest code is the code never written.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 18:01
Both are gonna be huge, but kinda different as well, which is good - Elite Dangerous will be more about trading and asset management, while Star Citizen will be, well everything! - but that's assuming it doesn't turn into another DayZ fiasco.

I'm gonna get an Oculus Rift just for these games - it's a good time to have a decent PC.

I am the one who knocks...
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 20:00
Space Engineers is a good one to invest in, currently in early access, but shows promise. You can mine asteroids and build space ships and stations. They may also be adding NPC's at some point.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 20:18
I'd recomment people to wait as far as Space Engineers go. Atm it's very much a Minecraft freemode, but in space. You can build ships and space stations, but other than that there's not much to do. ("Survival" mode with material gathering is not implemented yet by a long shot - it has MP tho)

Whose eyes are those eyes?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 20:18 Edited at: 14th Mar 2014 20:20
Space engineers has potential to become something awesome. I hope they add some form of AI so you can actually do something with your ships though

Edit, everything quick said is true. It's a great concept but it gets pretty booring at it's current state

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 22:19
You have to play Evochron Mercenaries! It's made in DarkBASIC, and it's a good one.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 17:45:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 17:45:59