Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What are the top 5 games your waiting for 2014?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 21:32
This year will be a very exciting year for gaming. With the arrival of the X Box One and Playstation 4 it will bring in some interesting games! So as the title states, what are the top 5 games you're excited about?

1. Dying Light
2. Titian fall
3. The Division
4. Watch Dogs
5. Mirrors Edge 2

What are yours?
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2014 22:23
1: TESO
2: Dark Souls
3: Watch Dogs
4: COME ON GTA 5 PC
5: Mirrors Edge 2

and we can pull down GTA 5 from there if Division decides to go PC... or that game that the xbox was getting with the the borderlands esque ggameplay thing

Whose eyes are those eyes?
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 02:47
Only game I'm waiting for is the last guardian. But I doubt it will happen this year at least.

New sig coming soon..
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 03:22 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 03:25
Well, I was going to say Thief 4 but as I was looking for a release date it has apparently been released for several weeks already! Ahhhh to the store I go!

Reviews seem mixed, with the majority of people who loved it saying it's the only Thief game they've played in the franchise.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 08:35
1. Titanfall
2. Infamous Second Son
3. Metal Gear Solid 5
4. Diablo 3
5. Kaosball (boardgame)

Although I'm not really waiting for Titanfall anymore as it's out. It's also amazing.

Quote: "Reviews seem mixed, with the majority of people who loved it saying it's the only Thief game they've played in the franchise.
"

I've played Thief and Thief 2 (never got round to playing 3) and I bought the new Thief game. I have enjoyed what I've played so far. It's not as much fun as I was hoping it would be but it's enjoyable enough.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 08:58 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 08:59
Quik's:
3: Watch Dogs - probably a good game
4: COME ON GTA 5 PC
5: Mirrors Edge 2 - I hope they would not put this series down

All your TGC are belong to us.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 09:02 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 09:06
I don't have any modern consoles, nor much time to play games. I can say what I'm NOT looking forward to: another Final Fantasy incarnation. Series died at 9, imho, however 10 was a good game not counting its predecessors. 12 was fun too, but only as a standalone. It was basically combining FF with Seiken Dentsu (which was awesome and looked amazing). Square are flogging a dead horse. I mean 10-2 was unplayable and I sold it after not even getting 1/4 of the way in. It was actually embarrassing and irritating. 13 was, well, yeah. Pathetic. I played a little at a friend's place and was like "no" (I warned him not to buy it, he ended up selling it or giving it away,lol).
I don't look forward to another Silent Hill incarnation. SH has lost the psychological factor and the originality it once had and is now like a B-grade American schlock-horror.

I, too, would like it if The Last Guardian ever gets released. I saw a trailer ages ago and it looked pretty good.

The game I'd like to see that won't happen: A classic-style J-RPG like FF or Shadow Hearts OR a classic-style platformer like Rockman (Mega Man) or Rocket Knight. They can have fancy graphics and plenty eye-candy -- as per modern hardware, especially the PS4 which is a monster -- but I want a game that PLAYS like the classics. Tekken 6 was great because, despite the framerate being higher and the game feeling heavier than 3 (3 was the best Tekken ever), they more or less maintained gameplay so when I first battled my friend after he'd owned 6 for a couple of weeks, I could still keep up from my 3 and 5 experience (although he cheats and puts guard damage on which forces you not to play defensively just because "In a real fight..."-logic applied to a video game). Another Kula World type of game would rock but I doubt it'll happen. Game was in a bargain bin when I nabbed it and I'm prolly the only one who enjoyed it (btw, I think it, in a way, was a small inspiration for Fez).

Sadly, I think I'm prolly at the end of my gaming career. Most of the games I speak fondly of are old and there are so few really good-looking mainstream games. That and a PS4 (the only console I'd consider) is outta my price range and so many modern PC games require decent internet. Aaaand I'm too busy for much gaming atm. Still I have good memories and there's still the indie scene if I seriously get back into gaming.

You're a bad man!
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 09:06
Quote: "Rocket Knight"

Actually it came out in 2010

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 09:08
Quote: "Actually it came out in 2010"

Do you mean a sequel or a reboot? The original came out on the Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive.

You're a bad man!
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 09:10
Quote: "Shadow Hearts "

That would probably be one of my favourite games of all time. I'd be happy with a HD remake of that game.

mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2014 10:40 Edited at: 15th Mar 2014 10:42
nonZero, here

Also, I would like to see RDR or RDR sequel on PC, if possible. If not - not much loss, just one sad sigh.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 12:32
1) Destiny(PC)
2) Mario Kart 8
3) Watch Dogs
4) Reaper of Souls
5) Zelda

Though I'll probably be waiting awhile for Destiny on PC, just don't feel like forking out $600 for one game.

SilentX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 14:47
I forgot about Mario Cart 8! I guess I'll have to add that to my list.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 15:06
Quote: "1) Destiny(PC)"

Is not confirmed for PC though is it? :/
They'd be silly to not port it to PC! >:

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 15:47 Edited at: 16th Mar 2014 15:49
Quote: "I don't have any modern consoles, nor much time to play games. I can say what I'm NOT looking forward to: another Final Fantasy incarnation. Series died at 9, imho, however 10 was a good game not counting its predecessors. 12 was fun too, but only as a standalone. It was basically combining FF with Seiken Dentsu (which was awesome and looked amazing). Square are flogging a dead horse. I mean 10-2 was unplayable and I sold it after not even getting 1/4 of the way in. It was actually embarrassing and irritating. 13 was, well, yeah. Pathetic. I played a little at a friend's place and was like "no" (I warned him not to buy it, he ended up selling it or giving it away,lol)."

The series has definitely had its disappointments. X-2 and XIII were...abysmal IMO. However, I have found the online ones fun, I played XI a lot and have been playing XIV, which at the start was terrible and was a big flop, but since the rerelease it has been a lot more successful and I enjoy it a lot, that said I am disappointed they've used the format other MMO's use, but makes up for it in other areas. XV looks like it's going to a live-action Final Fantasy, might be enjoyable, might not, they've got a good team working on it. XIII was so bad I've not even decided to give XIII-2 and XIII-Lightning Returns a go.

The rerelease of XIV at least gave me some faith, they ended up putting a team onto it who have been very passionate about making it work and the team are quite dedicate to it and have given themselves a public face to the project.

So...for me, I am excited about the release version 2.2:

The English voice acting is...horrendous, but I play the game with Japanese voices instead.

Other games...er...I was gonna say Thief...apparently that's out, shall rectify that when I get paid. GTA V PC would be nice as well.

Not really looked at what's coming out this year.

Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 18:39
Quote: "Is not confirmed for PC though is it? :/
They'd be silly to not port it to PC! >:"

They actually confirmed it's not on PC.

Yes, I live in Wisconsin. No, I don't live on a farm.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 18:56
Quote: "Do you mean a sequel or a reboot? The original came out on the Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive."

I think it was a reboot, but I only played the demo on ps3. I have Rocket Knight on the Genesis, one of my top 10 of all time.

If we're adding fantasy games that won't get released, I'm adding a Dragon Force HD remake. That's the only reason to own a Saturn IMO.

New sig coming soon..
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 22:17 Edited at: 16th Mar 2014 22:18
I got Titanfall, I'm happy.

Though The Division, Watch Dogs, and a few others look like they could be really good. I think the new Dragon Age is coming out later this year which is a must-buy for me (hopefully it is more like DA1 than DA2).
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2014 23:42
1) The Division
2) Titanfall(got it, it's awesome)
3) Dragon Age : Inquisition(same thoughts as Airslide)
4,5) not sure what else is coming out this year for PC.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 07:50
Quote: "nonZero,here"

Tks. Glad it's a sequel and not a reboot. Looks like I missed a good one.

You're a bad man!
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 11:47
Quote: "Well, I was going to say Thief 4 but as I was looking for a release date it has apparently been released for several weeks already! Ahhhh to the store I go!

Reviews seem mixed, with the majority of people who loved it saying it's the only Thief game they've played in the franchise."

Thief was my big game I was waiting for.

I played the whole Series as it was released. I like this version but understand peoples negative reactions, its about half way toward being totally awesome.
A little more freedom would be nice, but it still has the whole, hide in the shadows, study guard routs and sneak thing going. The AI is dumb as a brick if you get spotted, but the fun is in being invisible.
The game world is beautifully crafted and worth buying just to admire.

Oh, and of course I am waiting for Elder Scrolls Online, however I hear horror stories about WOW peoples lives falling apart over a game, I think I could become one of those people with this one.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 00:52 Edited at: 18th Mar 2014 00:53
1) Elder Scrolls Online
2) Watchdogs
3) Quantum Break
4) Forza Horizon 2
5) 3D Bang Bang 2...........

Thief is OK, But I got bored of it after 2 levels... It's too linear for me. I was hoping for a more assassins creed kind of game, but it's more of a dishonored kind of game, just not as compelling.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2014 06:50
Quote: "Thief is OK, But I got bored of it after 2 levels... It's too linear for me. I was hoping for a more assassins creed kind of game, but it's more of a dishonored kind of game, just not as compelling."

Then that's the problem^^ It was never supposed to be a AC kind of game, but more like dishonored or "Deus Ex" - with the hubworld etc.
I do must say however, I'd wish the "hubworld" to have more interesting sidequests, because the hubworld is just dull as heck :/
Oh well

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 00:50
Quote: "It was never supposed to be a AC kind of game, but more like dishonored"

But I enjoyed Dishonoured? Which is weird..

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 03:43
Quote: "I played the whole Series as it was released. I like this version but understand peoples negative reactions, its about half way toward being totally awesome.
A little more freedom would be nice, but it still has the whole, hide in the shadows, study guard routs and sneak thing going. The AI is dumb as a brick if you get spotted, but the fun is in being invisible.
The game world is beautifully crafted and worth buying just to admire.
"

Me too. Got Thief 1 with my sound card way back. The big problem I heard about this new one is that the AI is incredibly retarded, the game has very little open movement in the world, and the sound is terrible (such as footsteps sound the same at any distance). Sound was a key feature in the Thief environment.
I'd still like to play it and give it a try, but with the reviews I've read I don't want to spend $50 on it. I wish there was a demo.

Lukas W
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Mar 2014 08:08
Thief: Been waiting since 2009, bought it on release day, played 4 hours and left it at my game shelf. Sure, graphics was nice to look at..

IS that a game, a program, or 3 year old drawing.
Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 17:36
Phalax wrote: "Me too. Got Thief 1 with my sound card way back. The big problem I heard about this new one is that the AI is incredibly retarded, the game has very little open movement in the world, and the sound is terrible (such as footsteps sound the same at any distance). Sound was a key feature in the Thief environment.
I'd still like to play it and give it a try, but with the reviews I've read I don't want to spend $50 on it. I wish there was a demo"

That pretty much nails it, the game intro promises free flowing"assasins creed" style hub world flow, but ends up as more of a Half-life pseudo open environment. The sound is hard to deal with, I have 1200 watt system, I have to crank it to feel the environment like I could in the earlier games.(the silence was deafening in the earlier games, every footstep cut like a knife into your precarious hiding place ) now the silence seems less dense and with the needed volume balance, with each "near miss" the music kicks in so freakin loud that I literally need to pause it and turn my system down because it is overwhelming.

I preferred the days when you screwed up and got yourself into a dangerous position, the silence mixed with footsteps,breathing and a knowledge that you were screwed was such a thick ambiance that I sometimes needed to pause to get my .... together. Once you got spotted you were dead. end of story.

I think this one is a good start to porting it to unreal engine and it has real promise.
I can see it becoming much more open world and free as the basic mechanics progress.

Like I said earlier, I like this version, it is a starting point in a difficult game to do justice. I enjoy this version enough to persist with.
I have made it further than most thief fans that lose hope and abandon it. Not sure how far through I am yet, but am working through the asylum now. they do make it adequately creepy.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 22:41
Quote: "That pretty much nails it, the game intro promises free flowing"assasins creed" style hub world flow, but ends up as more of a Half-life pseudo open environment. "

not sure where it promised any of the sort - never felt that.
It feels like a little bit more limited Deus Ex:HR - which is exactly what atleast I expected from it

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Mar 2014 22:55
1)The Division
2)Destiny
3)Elder Scrolls Online
4)Far Cry 4
5)SledgeHammer Games Call of Duty

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:22:47