Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Building a Menu Based App

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 15:47 Edited at: 17th Mar 2014 22:04
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you could recommend a simple way of building an App that was essentially a home screen with 6 button menus off it and each menu would have a number of options/videos. Is APK a good program for this or would you use something else? Thanks.

EDIT: Included code

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 16:00
A menu to do what? Yes you can make a menu easily, but what you want those options to control is another matter.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 17:51
a easy way is a image(sprite) and then u define click areas.
alternate maybe with CreateText.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 20:51
I have a UI library which will do exactly what you want.

Email me to discuss it if you want.

Jonathan Valintine
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2014 21:30 Edited at: 17th Mar 2014 21:32
Hi Phaelax so the general Overview of the APP will be as follows (It's pretty basic I think):

(I)Home page with a hexagon image I've designed, at each point there would be a button.

(ii) Clicking on one of the buttons on the hexagon will bring up a New Menu which will each have about another three buttons.

(iii) Each of these buttons will open and play a video. Each Screen will have a return to previous page or a main menu button.

I've made an attempt using different code snippets I've looked and giving it a go myself. I was trying to set it up to move from a first menu to a second one but when I click on the button it does not trigger the opening of the next menu so there's some error in my code (I'm very rusty at programming so I'm not surprised haha)

Thanks Markus , cool suggestion I will definitely check that out what type of commands would you use to do that, is it setting X and Y values and basically setting up a range so if anyone clicks within that range the button is triggered?

Mobius that would be amazing I will email you about it, thanks

EDIT: Included Code

Jonathan Valintine
Years of Service
User Offline
Any advice for where I'm going wrong code wise?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 20:16
Exactly what is not happening that you expect to happen?

I find it best to load all images and create all sprites that will be used regularly at the very start of the program, then you just hide the ones not being used (turn off invisibility and move outside the main display area).

Then you just set visibility and position as needed.

Deleting and recreating the images takes more effort and memory than just hiding what you don't actively need.

And definitely do the loadimage once for each image and save the id. The method you are using will repeatedly load the image and never clear out the old one causing a major memory leak issue. Deleting a sprite does NOT delete the loaded image.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 00:34:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 00:34:58