Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Community Online Scoreboard System

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 00:19
Just out of curiosity:
I know many people might not have access to a server, so I'm wondering if there is a need/desire for a community based online score system. I could fairly easily set this up, but I think I'd have to charge for it since it's really a one way street of me providing a service for you. I wouldn't charge very much.

How many folks are interested and what would you be willing to pay? $5/mo?

Rickynzx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 01:13
Hi

Id love this function, how would you charge for this? would it be per app or as many apps per user?

my apps arent making much just now, not even enough to cover the $5 fee per month but might be willing to pay just to be able to use an online high score table.

i am sure it would attract users to apps with this function.

Rickynzx
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 02:11
Yeah users really like seeing those high score tables. We're getting something like it for Wordspionage soon, but it won't be shown in-App, the app will just link to our website. This way we can change formatting and stuff like that really easy.

I'm not sure how I'd structure the pricing yet. It wouldn't be unlimited apps for one fee. But I wouldn't want to limit it to just one for $5/mo. I'm thinking something more along the lines of 5 scoreboards for $5/mo. I say "scoreboards" instead of apps because you might want to have multiple scoreboards per app. For example, Wordspionage we are thinking of having a best games score, best word score, and most games won leaderboard.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 13:38 Edited at: 23rd Mar 2014 13:43
Hey there. Just wanted to let people know that I have made something like this already available to DBP (and any other engines that can run external programs - like AppGameKit T2 for Windows) users: announced in the competition thread. I am waiting for AppGameKit to allow the implementation of user created modules/plug-ins before it will be able to be used in T1.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 14:46
$5 is more than I pay for my website, including the domain name.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 16:17
@mr_d - sorry I didn't see that in the thread. I doubt AppGameKit is going to allow modules/plug-ins any time soon. If you're just using PHP to communicate to the database and can output what you want when a script is run then you can port over to AppGameKit really easy.

@Digital Awakening -
That's a nice price!
Does that give you access to a MySQL database and PHP?
If so maybe you could share a link to the service so that folks can check it out?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 17:30
I use one.com. It got PHP and a single MySQL database. 5GB storage, unlimited traffic and emails. Cloud storage I've never used. It is also very stable and easy to use. It doesn't offer everything, but far more then what most people will ever need.

Both me and the one using the link above get 3 extra GB storage. Not that I have ever even used 1 of my 5 GB.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 18:00
That's pretty nice. I'm going to mention them in the newsletter this month. We started off with GoDaddy and paid way too much for convenience. Now everything is on our VPS.

I'm also finding that it seems like it is almost possible to use Google Forms and Google Docs Spreadsheet to do this. You can send data to a form via post and grab data from the sheet via a URL with SQL-like queries. It might be a nice option that is free. I don't really have time to figure it out though.

Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 20:51
I'd definitely be up for this... We have an already published app which used to have a leaderboard, but we had to remove it due to lack of someone hosting the scoreboard for us (I have 0 knowledge of PHP sadly). I still have all the code in place and would be happy to be your guinea pig to try this out if you'd like...

The way we did it before was with the HTTP request, like this (for sending a score);

And then for retrieving the scoreboard, we simply got passed back a huge string with all the names and scores. I then parsed this in AGK... If you are interested (as I am) then send me an email and we can discuss more in detail
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2014 21:26
That's basically how I was envisioning it. The AppGameKit Community Ad Network works the same. It might be a little while before I can get it up and running because my creative director told me that I must focus on some Wordspionage stuff (training, quick match, and chat). And I have to get in support for Windows/Mac apps on the AppGameKit Community Ad Network. So much to do so little time .
Glad to hear that two people are interested at least.
I'm thinking I need a minimal of 5 people before I'll set it up.

If you want to get it going sooner shoot me a direct email and we can talk about it.
I'm thinking it'll be a month before I can start. It should only take me a few hours to set up though.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 02:55:33
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 02:55:33