Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / windows resolution and monitor resolution don't match

Author
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 05:47
My PC felt like the refresh rate was lagging on drawing operations, so I rebooted. At first, the display was being cropped. As if the display was at 1920 but was being cut off at 1600 and leaving just a black bar on one side of my screen. And the fonts look kinda funky. I noticed the display resolution got messed up some how, so I changed it from 1600x1200 back to 1920x1200. That corrected the size issue but my fonts are still hard to read.

Played around with the monitor's settings and it's reporting the resolution at 1600x1200 still, even though Windows says 1920! I have a second monitor attached and it seems to be functioning just fine.

Any ideas?

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 07:17
Well, resizing happens at video card AND monitor level. Your previous black borders were because of scaling. Maybe try monitor settings or your video card control centre. If it's a laptop, check the BIOS too.
If nothing works you'll prolly have to fiddle with windows fonts/dpi settings.

You're a bad man!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 09:59
I have a geforce 660, and its only a few months old really. Though windows reports I'm at 1920 resolution, my monitor says it's receiving 1600. Since my 2nd monitor seems fine, I'll assume the card is fine. I tried adjusting the font dpi, it helped slightly but not good enough. Either my monitor is dying or the cable is bad. And I don't think I have another dvi-vga cable.

Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 12:21
Quote: "dvi-vga cable."

Does VGA even support that high resolutions?

"Why do programmers get Halloween and Christmas mixed up?"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 12:51
I had a similar issue just yesterday, someone PAT testing a PC and disconnected everything, but when they put it back together, the PC just wouldn't recognise the correct resolution for the monitor. Took about 4 reboots before I was able to get it the the correct res.

Maybe that DVI-VGA cable has a break somewhere that is hampering the hardware identification, so the PC might not be able to find the info it needs. I would see about changing that cable before anything else.

I am the one who knocks...
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 20:02
1st reboot, nothing fixed. Updated nvidia drivers and rebooted, nothing fixed. But on my 3rd reboot (I ran a malwarebytes deep scan overnight), the problem is fixed this morning. Weird. Oh, and malwarebytes didn't find anything anyway.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2014 08:29
Quote: "Does VGA even support that high resolutions?"

I run a 1080 signal out of my desktop to a monitor with VGA, though I'll admit I was surprised it worked when I first hooked it up. You don't really run into problems until you get one of those nice WQHD monitors (2560 x 1440) that need something like Dual-Link DVI (or MiniDisplay Port/Thunderbolt, if you go with Apple's).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 22:10:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 22:10:32