Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The next step in VR?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2014 22:37
How far are we from being able to watch a football match with a VR headset?

Check out this panoramic camera:
panano.com

We need a 3D version of this camera, and obviously we need 24-60 frames per second. We mount 4 of them in prime positions in football stadiums. Users subscribe to the video stream and can view with their 3D headsets.

Obviously, bandwidth will be an issue if you want to watch live, a panoramic video feed would be huge. It may need some major buffering, or it could just send you your field of view(plus some more for small head movements).

Have I missed anything out? All the heavy expensive stuff is at the stadium so the cost for the user is just the headset and subscription to the game.

You could not have translational head movement since the stream source is a fixed point for all users, perhaps it could be simulated with some clever zooming effects?

Once done you would be at the game with people sitting next to you, how weird would that be?

That company I linked to should get on it straight away imo

Kezzla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 02:58
I saw that particular camera a while back, it is an interesting idea.
I think they should incorporate it with those smartphone driven drone quad-copters so you can control the camera far better.
That would be awesome.

To Err is Human...
To Arr is Pirate!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2014 10:34
Quote: "I think they should incorporate it with those smartphone driven drone quad-copters so you can control the camera far better."

It would be very hard to design it so your image does not capture parts of the quad copter, although I'm sure it's possible.

Having a 360x360 image without seeing anyone holding the camera is one of the things that make that camera so cool imo.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:22:14
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:22:14