Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D Objects & Textures

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 20:01
Hi All

Just started playing with 3D objects...

Am I correct that the 3D objects (.OBJ) that AppGameKit uses can only have one texture and that these textures are not Texture maps, just one all over texture wrapping the object?

So for a multi textured object, what is really required is multiple objects each with an individual texture, these objects then 'ties' in the program together?

Does the Obj Loader in AppGameKit not load the MTL file?

www.bitmanip.com
All the juicy you could ever dream of!
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 20:29 Edited at: 1st Apr 2014 20:30
The 3d objects that you can create within AppGameKit are like that, but you can create and texture map objects in various 3d-programs such as blender.
They then work as they should when you apply the texture.

My hovercraft is full of eels
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 20:34
Lil

Thats weird! I tested out some models made in both sketchup pro (exported as an OBJ) and blender, and i just get a white un textured object. I seem only to be able to add an object image which wraps the whole thing in one texture?

I wonder what i am doing wrong? Do you export a texture map from blender?

www.bitmanip.com
29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 22:10
So, if I've got this correct, you've created and textured your model in blender and exported an .obj (making sure the export UV option is selected). When you load it into AppGameKit it shows up white, so you load the texture in and the use the setObjectImage command to apply the texture to the object?

As for as I understand it, that's how it's done. It's how it's done in the example that with AppGameKit . I spent a bit of time going through the model they used for that and it is indeed split into a lot of different object that have a single texture assigned to them (I'm not exactly sure how the light map was done as they managed to light map the whole thing with a single image).

I don't think you can have multiple images applied to single .obj file to texture different parts of it.

The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2014 23:20
Okay,

Gonna try again tomorrow guys...i will check I had the UV option selected....thanks so far!

If anyone has a test model (nothing fancy but with different parts different colours - even a cube) i would love to try it this end!

www.bitmanip.com
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2014 06:22 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2014 07:18
thats correct that the mtl file is not used at all.

however the obj file itself does hold uv data. One must remap there objects to use a single image before saving it to .obj

I have successfully made two games so far using 3d in agk.
what i find the most interesting about it is the ability to alter color of an object after its been textured. Works great for fake lighting systems.

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2014 13:33
I've attached a model from my Hover Car game, .obj, the original blender file and the texture, for you to play with.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Daddy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2014 10:06
Many thanks 29!

Will try this today. Spent some time messing with blender last night and created a little model. The model was a submarine from a tutorial. The submarine had the main body, a periscope, a rudder etc. I used parent so the periscope, rudder etc 'belonged' to the main sub. However when I unwrapped I would just get the periscope laid out on my image???

More time needed to spend learning!

But i will try this model today! Many many thanks.

www.bitmanip.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 21:31:48
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 21:31:48