Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / 3D Object Animations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 03:15
I did do a search on these forums to find any info on loading and playing 3D object animations in AppGameKit Apps. Found nothing! Is there any info? Is .X supported or only .OBJ?
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 06:30 Edited at: 7th Apr 2014 06:31
the only thing both versions support at the moment are .obj wich is a non animated solid object.
it also does not support multiple textures to a single object so you will need to remap your objects to use a single image.
the mtl files are not used either.

2 ways of doing animations for now:
-framed (multiple obj files flipping through the animations [what im using])
-coding an animation by loading several limbs and positioning them relative to the next...performing rotations,scaling, movements by code.

(thats the tougher one but is doable)

if you want to try the method im using. you could try my alpha drawing app to create those framed animations...as its set up to do so already. i just need to make some help videos for it.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210516&b=5

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2014 05:47
OK, so I'm using a 3D animation of my race horse created in Blender. The animation is basically just the horse trotting.

Would I just save an instance of the current object frame as a new object? Create 10 separate objects then bring all 10 into AppGameKit and simultaneously hide and show them?

Man I cant wait for object animation support with AppGameKit!
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 02:03
Thank You Jack as your reply is very appreciated but man that is simply way too much work just to play an object animation. You are very brilliant but one could spend much too much time just on game animations with this approach! I already have models with animations I created in Blender and I'd literally get old and gray before finishing this approach.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 17:49
humm... ive never used blender but yup thats the basics of it.

this is what i would do.

-load all your base frames for each enemy or character type
-hide them all

now for your game...use only one object per enemy or character by instancing the loaded 3d frames. decide what frame your on and adjust what object frame to instance.

i could post some sample code if your stuck....

i use 8 frames for most of my animations to make it simple

and once your frames are loaded.... its as easy as that to instance tuns of characters on the screen sharing the same original object frames loaded by instancing them.

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 00:34
SoftMotion: Code for this would be appreciated. When you say load all base frames do you mean for example in the walk cycle of my animated object to save a copy of the entire object but at 8 different animation points through the walk cycle? Not sure I no how to instance a frame.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 09:19 Edited at: 19th Apr 2014 09:20
yes! exactly that...

ok check the post out here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210808&b=41

has the sample code...

aviles22
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 19:17
Thank You for your help as I love AppGameKit and the whole community but was looking for alternative software to use until AGK2 was completed for 3D animations but I think I can temp make this work.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 19:41
once the 3d animation commands come in...it will be easy to rework out the framed stuff back to single objects.

I love agk as well and am not ready to throw in the towel yet.

:p

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-11 07:11:56
Your offset time is: 2024-05-11 07:11:56