Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Programmers Brickwall Block

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 20:00
Hi guys, you ever experienced what I call a brickwall block in programming when your trying to achieve something and you just suddenly hit a brickwall where you can't achieve what you had planned and you loose all enthusiasm for what you where programming?

If so, any advice on how to get around it?

"Get in the Van!" - Van B
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 21:36
Watch an old sci-fi movie, like Bladerunner or Westworld, or The Matrix.

I am the one who knocks...
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Make something simpler, and come back to the program later.
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Apr 2014 22:17 Edited at: 12th Apr 2014 22:17
Quote: "Bladerunner or Westworld"

Love these

Quote: "Make something simpler, and come back to the program later."

That's the point I'm making, I've lost enthusiasm for any programming because of the brickwall I hit. All I can think about is that brickwall and can't get enthusiasm for anything else.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes. Watching a sci-fi movie or playing a game gets my mind off the subject long enough to "reboot" my brain. Sometimes it takes several days, but eventually I get enthused about programming and by then, I can look at the problem at another angle.

The fastest code is the code never written.
Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 00:22
And.. What is this wall ???
A quite complicated problem ? ("I have have to solve both 'P vs NP' and Riemann's hypothesis to code this function")
A time / result that dont worth ("this lib is bugged, I can rewrite all but would take me ages..")
A not well suited design ?
Anything else ???

!!!
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 01:42
I find abandoning the computer altogether for 30 mins or so helps me come back and see the problem straight away... It is almost always something stupid

Windows 7 Pro, Intel i7 3.8 GHz, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 780 4GB Superclocked

View the beta TGC forum progress at the url below View beta forum
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 03:26 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 03:27
Quote: "And.. What is this wall ???
A quite complicated problem ? ("I have have to solve both 'P vs NP' and Riemann's hypothesis to code this function")
A time / result that dont worth ("this lib is bugged, I can rewrite all but would take me ages..")
A not well suited design ?
Anything else ???"

You actually joined my thread for the exact problem in mind. A fexi-box docking interface for my editor.

The brickwall is there because no matter how I look at it I can't work out in what order I should calculate. You can't even find source material on how it's done or even what it's called other than you know a ton of interfaces use it today.

I'll quote MonoCoder which is related to solving my problem:
Quote: "After a few days and a bit of scribbling, the problem of ordering has (contrary to my earlier assumption) shown itself to be a Hard Problem."

That sums it up best

I also can't code anything else cause I need the editor to test it in.

Quote: "I find abandoning the computer altogether for 30 mins or so helps me come back and see the problem straight away... It is almost always something stupid"

It's been a month for me, still don't know how to do it

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean by "fexi-box"?

The fastest code is the code never written.
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 14:58 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 15:06
Took awhile to find it. Thread here...
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209137&b=1http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209137&b=1

At first glance the problem seems quite easy. Divide the width, and height of boxes. As far as I can make out, the program got stalled because of locked box positions.
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 16:00 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 16:06
Actually, I have an idea how to fix the problem. Use an array of squares.

Dim array(Width,Height) `X,Y

Fill the array with a box number where the boxes locate. Now you can just check the array to see where the boxes fit. A locked box leaves its number in the array, it is easy to look for.
Le Verdier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2014 22:23 Edited at: 13th Apr 2014 22:28
So you're working on an editor+engine. Honestly,
I find it hard to believe that there is no other part to progress! For me, this dock system is UI polishing and should be a bottom-of-the-list task.
I'm not saying it is not important(User-friendliness is important for productivity).
More, it charges your source and compile time..
A long ago, when I began to be interested in programming
Editors, I was doing same, Focusing first at the UI frontend part, to have visual results.
That I can say is it was taking so much time that I finaly gave up, not seeing what I wanted.
I know it's easier said than done but you should make this part later, what you've worked on it isn't lost.
I'm sure you'll come back to it with new ideas !!!

All hail the new flesh
Sasuke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 12:37 Edited at: 14th Apr 2014 12:41
Quote: "What do you mean by "fexi-box"?"

Since we don't have the actual name for whatever this is called we came up with that.

Most people have worked in environments like this. Each frame, docked window or box is flexible, it can be moved and scaled. The problem lies that if it does then everything else has to aswell adhering to each others constraints .

Quote: "At first glance the problem seems quite easy"

That's what I thought, but it actually turned out to be a very hard problem. The problem is moving the boxes. The fact that each box will have different constraints means every other box is affected by them and vice versa.

Quote: "I find it hard to believe that there is no other part to progress! For me, this dock system is UI polishing and should be a bottom-of-the-list task."

This is my third editor, I went with this to speed up development time, really. There is a massive advantage to being able to drag, drop, move and expand windows where you need to. It drastically sped up development when I was working with Unity over other game engines that don't have this flexibility. Most of the core engine work I've just ported from engine to engine so I've got most of the code. But I'd rather continue development in and editor.

This was my previous mini editor (GUI on the right) that hooked into the settings of whatever you were working on. It worked well for small stuff while I was working on my main editor.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 14:21
Gommen, too much so I skipped a lot but I might be able to help if you can give me the following info:
-- Precisely, in point form, what is this window-system, what must it do and what must it not do?
-- What language will it be written in?
-- Will extensions, ie dlls, be permissable as a part of the solution?

I'd be happy to give solving this a try. Can't promise much but I'll give it my best. Block of any kind sucks and nobody should have to suffer with it.

You're a bad man!
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 15:37 Edited at: 14th Apr 2014 15:39
I actually hate program where you drag boxes around. I just deleted Photoshop CS6 and went back to CS5 because CS6 is a mess. CS5 isn't much better. I prefer the older programs.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 23:51
Confused.

Did you mean "flexi-box" when you said "fexi-box"?

Quote:

Quote: "A fexi-box docking interface for my editor."

The first rule for removing brick walls is to get rid of silly typos. Helps everybody. I had no idea what you were on about till I read your latest post.

But that aside, I know what you mean. I usually find it helps to do something completely different for a while. I used to run regularly and often found I'd solved problems by the time I'd returned from my run. Problem was to actually remember what the solution was.

Life can just be a pain at times.