Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Virtual machine help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2014 16:45
I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out. I have installed virtual manager on my dedicated box, but I am unsure how I would connect to it from my home desktop. I know how I connect via putty to my dedicated, but when it comes to connecting to the virtual machine on my dedicated, I do not now how, as it is using the same IP.

Anyone have any ideas?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2014 19:02 Edited at: 18th Apr 2014 19:02
Your virtual machines generally shouldnt be using the same IP as the host unless you really want the features that it brings (NAT/PAT). You should run it in bridged networking.

Otherwise, since you're doing port address translation, you'll need to setup port forwarding on your host (not your router) just as if it were a router. I'm not really sure how to do this in KVM or virt-manager. I used VirtualBox and said to heck with it

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 17:24
I only have the one IP to use and I'm not greatly knowledgeable on configuring and setting up networks, other than a basic home network.

I was messing about with some other virtual machines but couldn't figure out how to connect to it, as it would just connect to the master as I mentioned I only have 1 IP :\
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 20:42
Quote: " I was messing about with some other virtual machines but couldn't figure out how to connect to it, as it would just connect to the master as I mentioned I only have 1 IP :\ "

If you're at home, your router should issue an IP to your virtualmachines through the normal DHCP process. If you really do only have 1 ip on your local internal network, then uh, PAT is your only option. You have to port forward. Look up the KVM documentation?

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 20:45
Why not just run the OS directly?
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2014 23:14
I want to allow people to use my dedicated, but within the virtual machine so that they can not cause damage to the box.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 01:17:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 01:17:14