Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Genius hacker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 03:54
Came across this scam on FB

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=499487690156814&comment_id=2667878

I must say, I am very impressed by the hacker who came up with it.
It apparently can hack any FB account password. What it really does is takes control of your FB account and tags all your friends in the same post (to make it go viral). I'm not sure what else it does, it could theoretically completely take control of your computer and put malware on it (you'll notice the shellcode in the pastebin file, not sure what it's supposed to do). I could easily grab your login cookie though.

Sadly many people are falling for it. I've tagged by two friends

Anyway, I've reported it, I'd suggest you all do the same. Unless of course you can confirm if it really is harmless, here's the code which they convince you to run on your computer (via firebug console): pastebin.com/raw.php?i=h0T9nhUQ

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 08:43
Your photo isn't accessible.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2014 09:58
looks like it's been taken down. Basically it was a video trying to get the user to run that PasteBin code in Firebug.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 14:06 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 08:56
StupidUser != GeniusHacker.
According to info provided, it requires the user to perform an "unusual action". This is up there with fake anti-virus notifications that tell you your PC has 10 infections, please download the "Trusted Power Anti-virus 2014" from "http://a.really.odd.address.ru"... oh yeah, seems legit. People's stupidity never ceases to amaze me. At least three wifi routers in my apartment block have WPS enabled, how stoooooopid is that?

Edit: your!=you're ... stupid autocomplete.

You're a bad man!
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 18:47 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2014 18:47
I saw an interesting pic going around facebook lately.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 18:54
Is someone trying to get people to post their password on facebook, if so, who would fall for that?

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2014 18:56
Quote: " if so, who would fall for that?"

You'd be surprised. Fortunately, nobody on my friend's list fell for it when I posted it :p

I could probably write a post saying "Write your password here to login to the upgraded FB!" and somebody somewhere will do it.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 08:35 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 08:36
Quote: "I could probably write a post saying "Write your password here to login to the upgraded FB!" and somebody somewhere will do it."

Probably

Quote: "StupidUser != GeniusHacker"

True, but it was actually an extremely convincing way of getting the user to run code on their computer. At least one friend of mine (including an IT guy) fell for it.
And imagine coding the script

There are the steps they got the user to do:
1. Go to your friends FB profile
2. Open FireBug (F12) (or equivalent)
3. Click 'console'
4. enter the script
5. run it
6. wait approx 1 minute for a message to appear in your inbox with the users password.

Of course, instead of sending you the users password, it would tag all of you friends to make it go viral.

The genius part is more the writing of the script itself than the convincing users part
I was thinking of falling for it But as soon as you realize that all the passwords in the FB DataBase are encrypted, not to mention the extremely suspicious was that users are tagging their friends like mad...

Audacia Games - Facebook - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 09:17 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2014 09:57
Quote: "And imagine codingthe script"

Oh, I agree there. I'm not so good at scripting in other than batch scripting and a little bash (just getting my feet wet) so clearly a good scriptor. I agree s/he was pretty smart at figuring out all the right code and exploits too. So I'd agree s/he was very talented. Genius? I dunno, I'll take it under advisement since I'm not educated enough to grasp the nuances of the code.

Quote: "True, but it was actually an extremely convincing way of getting the user to run code on their computer."

There I got to dissagree. No matter how convincing something seems, it's not when you follow these rules:
1. If the source is untrustworthy (any social network, email or text message) and you cannot confirm it through legitimate channels.
2. If it asks you to login under abnormal circumstances.
3. If you are asked to follow a link.
4a. If you are asked to download and/or run any executable binary or code.
4b. If you cannot verify whether. the source code is malicious by examining it.
I live in a country where phishing is rife. My mother gets those emails all the time and thankfully deletes most but every now and then she asks me and when I tell her to delete it she asks me if I'm sure because recently she did xyz and maybe they blah blah blah. They'll phone you and provide authentication of who they are. Same for unsolicited emails. Same for downloaded apps (well, if I'm desperate, I'll sandbox them or run in a VM).

Basically my point is that people are sleepwalking. Security awareness is zero. I've already had the opportunity to get free internet three times but I'm actually surprisingly honest to people who aren't my enemies. Security is so lax that I find at least 75% of PCs I work on have Windows and Autoplay enabled. Out of frustration I added an autoplay file to my flashdrives to run a console app saying "This is how easily you could've been infected". It's funny how many people freak. I have an IT guy friend, too, and he also got malware recently because of "socially-engineered delivery". He downloaded a free app and it obscured the "install xzy too" checkbox where xzy was some sort of spyware. He wouldn't tell me the details as he was perhaps embarrassed since he kept saying it was no big deal (though he had to do a factory reinstall from the OEM partition). It's just because people have gotten too cocky since anti-virus apps provide "peace of mind" and even OSes like Windows-family now offer built-in security. So the attitude is a mixture of not bothering to read a little bit on security and over-confidence. I can bet you the victims of your hacker will blame FB and not their own stupidity.

You're a bad man!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 18:34
Quote: "Is someone trying to get people to post their password on facebook, if so, who would fall for that?"

The same idiots who type something into a post, expecting something to happen....to a static picture.

-Keith

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2014 20:58
Quote: "The same idiots who type something into a post, expecting something to happen....to a static picture."

lol, which is a lot.

So if all this script does is tag your friends and spread itself, it's not really harmful.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2014 08:58
Quote: "So if all this script does is tag your friends and spread itself, it's not really harmful.
"

Not sure if that's all it does, you tell me

Audacia Games - Facebook - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 00:12
Half the code just looks like CSS. But now I think I am going to try and decipher it

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 01:51
It is startling how clueless most computer users are. If you use something every day and your livelihood depends on it you should know how it works, at least on a practical level.

Formerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 08:25
That's no different than the millions of people who drive cars every day but can't change a tire or their own oil.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2014 11:40
Quote: "It is startling how clueless most computer users are. If you use something every day and your livelihood depends on it you should know how it works, at least on a practical level."

yeah thats.. thats literarily never going to happen, like at all. IT's an extremely unrealistic way of viewing it~

Whose eyes are those eyes?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 20:06:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 20:06:31