Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / code folding anyone? , code folding for 100 Alex

Author
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2014 22:23
Ok, I've been silent for a while now, saying nothing, while I purchased the original AppGameKit at $111, said nothing still when I donated for AppGameKit 2.

But now I would really like to know, with all due respect, where the hell is code folding?

Screw the fancy graphics commands. hell with banner ADs. what I really really really want, is coding folding in my IDE. is that so much to ask? I think not...

well , I know coding IDE's is hard, if it wasn't I'd give it a go, wizzkid gave it a try , and still did not get to add code folding, so I know its a damn hard thing, but still...

Anyways, get back to us on this, me and the voices in my head can not wait any longer.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 00:33 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 22:33
the used codeblocks editor have folding but it was for c++ not basic.
codeblocks is opensource. http://www.codeblocks.org
i hope paul can fix this for v2.
i believe goto function list will also work then.
(some users useing alternate ide for agk.)
test example:

find a trick today

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210910&b=41&p=0

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 03:43
I've been using Sublime text for about a year now because codeblocks just won't cut it for me. It has code folding, function search, great view layouts, and much more. There's a thread somewhere here for it. If the v2 IDE is built on codeblocks I doubt I will have much use for it other than the occasional debugger.

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 21:02 Edited at: 29th Apr 2014 21:05
Sorry guys, but I do not want to use another editor, take another hour of testing to make sure i have everything running right.

I want code folding, it is why I donated for AppGameKit v2.

Not for the newer 3D commands, that I'll probably never use,

No not for new graphical effects or new ways of making money via ADs. which i feel AppGameKit 1 has good ones.

No it is for code folding that I put more money into the AppGameKit project.

And no offense, but if we all go around just saying things like, "all I need is a debugger, I dont need code folding, I use such and such a text editor and thats good enough for me" , well thats what we'll get, NOTHING!

And yes I know Monkey X has no code folding built-in, why I bought the Mollusk IDE for it. and no Corona has no code folding in its default editor. why i use another when programming in it.

But this is where AppGameKit could stand out from the crowd, by offering an IDE thats both friendly, has code folding, and is easy to set projects up in, and it has most of this already.

I mean, do we as programmers not spend most of our time in the IDE?

Wouldnt it be nice to hide your functions/procedures after you think you are done with them, yet have it handy to open them incase you think of some better code to put in there?

Or am I the only one that thinks this way?

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 22:11
Judging from the Kickstarter page I guess the IDE update will follow the compiler update, which is what's being worked on currently. It will include function folding, function list and debugger. I can't wait for the function list myself. And that's before the 3D updates.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2014 22:32
until someone from tgc update this editor
you can try remark char + brackets for folding.

'{
'}

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 01:52
Code-folding. Who needs it? I have it available but never us it.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 03:05
I use it a ton
I'm excited to see what the new IDE brings, but I don't know if I'll be able to live without Sublime's multi-line editing.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 09:26 Edited at: 5th May 2014 13:20
OT, but did someone tryed NotePad++ with AppGameKit?
http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Wiki About:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad%2B%2B

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 20:03 Edited at: 30th Apr 2014 20:04
Thanks Markus for that weird but cool way to code fold. never knew about the Rem code folding feature.

Will probably use that till they get regular folding built-in.

Was hoping Wizzkid would finish his editor but I understand the complexity of tryin to make an editor. Tried one long ago for Blitzbasic, Gave up.

Was writing the editor in Purebasic at the time. which does have code folding built-in its self.

The language (Purebasic) is what I mainly use when doing pure PC stuff. and Mac , now that I own one.

But yes, thanks again, and here's hoping we get regular built-in code folding for AppGameKit also.

Hell might even give that editor sublime a try, since it seems to be the only alternative to the built-in IDE.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 20:25
Sublime is an awesome editor for most text editing. I use it for all my webdevelopment and I almost prefer it over visual studio for C++ development (sometimes I miss the code completion from VS but other than that it's superior in most ways)

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 22:39
You can write custom snipets for sublime so that it has code completion for you. It would be awesome someday to have snippets for all of the AppGameKit commands, but ain't nobody got time for that :p

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 22:49
Writing custom snippets for all my variables in all my classes seems like hard work

Quote: "ain't nobody got time for that :p"

Also, I though the AppGameKit sublime plugin already had code completion (or highlighting)

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 23:50
It highlights. It will also do autofill on words you've used in the current document. I have snippets set for a few of my debug functions, if-elseif, switch, repeat-until, for-next. They all fill in automatically when I select them from the autocomplete window that pops up. The autocomplete takes a little getting used to and I had to reassign the hotkeys for selecting the autocomplete suggestions. The submlime plugin recognizes all AppGameKit commands and user functions and highlights them. It doesn't highlight functions ending in a number, it doesn't properly highlight comment blocks (which is a bit annoying). One of my favorite features is multiline editing. It can come in really handy.
I also had to make some extra mods to get the compiler to work right for me. I believe I detailed those on the sublime setup page. The only thing it is really missing is a function navigator like what Eclipse has (I think VB too). It does have this window navigator thing, but I've not found it useful.
I absolutely love it and the new AppGameKit IDE will have to include some really nice features to get me to switch back. We'll see.
I also use N++, but only for web design and just because it is nice to have a separate environment for such a separate purpose and it has a plugin for FTP (Sublime probably does too, but I keep it as my AppGameKit editor).

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 18:51 Edited at: 1st May 2014 20:35
Ok, had a look at sublime, and all thats involved in setting it up and I think I'll pass.

And from what I read it does not even allow you to use the F1 key for help? no that wont do.

And as for HTML5 editing, I use RJ textED. it has everything one could ask for in a HTML5 , Javascript , Java , ect.. editor.

No set up required and it just plain runs well and has code folding also, Oh and its free, but donate if you like it, the guy poured a lot of effort into making it good.

Some of you guys seem hell-bent on making your jobs harder by using editors that really dont add much benefit from a built-in one.

No thank you, I still want built-in code folding, if its in beta, I dont care, release it!,

I'll find your editor bugs and report them, cause aint no way I'm using Sublime.

Reason I bought Mollusk for Monkey X was it worked right outta the box. No bull, just use it. and it was only 10 or 15 bucks.

Maybe if you guys tried Mollusk, or Purebasic's editor or IDEal for blitzbasic then you'd see what a real, easy to use editor is like.

Not my fault you all started out using Microsoft products so everything else probably does look good from that stand point.

I'll use markus's rem trick till it comes out.

Oh and one last thing I'd like to add, if the programmers at TGC are not well versed at writing a good editor trying hiring someone that is, or approach the guy that make Mollusk for Monkey X or the man that makes RJ TextEd, Or the men or man behind Jungle IDE for Monkey X, or the people that wrote those good editors for Darkbasic Pro.

I still believe a good editor would help sell more copies of AppGameKit, up the price if you have too. hell I happily paid $111 bucks for my copy of AppGameKit and would still if I had too.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 10:41
One of the things that Paul spoke to me about but I didn't report on in the newsletter is that the IDE will be most probably a completely new one, and will be selected/modified/created to be far more flexible than the current one, which is acknowledged to be limited.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 10:50
@BatVink
oh that sounds good

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 18:13
Thanks for the info Bat. good to know they are working hard on the IDE.

I love AppGameKit, think its one of the easiest languages to use, it syntax makes sense and its not overbearing , and its just plain fun to use the command set.

just the IDE gives me fits when I'm working on a large project.

For small stuff, sure you dont need code folding, and yes I know I can break up AppGameKit into smaller files and put all my functions that are complete in one. but thats just not how I roll.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 01:29:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 01:29:54