Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Has anyone had any problems upgrading to Windows 8?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 20:34 Edited at: 30th Apr 2014 22:48
I'm using Eclipse Indigo and Juno, Ndk release r8d, java jdk 7 and Visual Studio. 2008.

Everything else is the latest release.

I'm using Tier 2, but I'm curious about the Tier 1 users as well.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 21:53
you might have troubble finding visual studio 2008 again, as far as I know the downloads for both 2008 and 10 have been removed by mircrosoft but if you can get them, there should be no issues. I have had no issues using AppGameKit on windows 8.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2014 23:57
My intern has frequent issues with AppGameKit programs in Windows 8.1. Sometimes they run just fine, sometimes they crash. We've not been able to determine the issue. Maybe we can when the debugger comes out.

We also have intermittent issues with Eclipse.

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 01:46
Thanks guys!

@Naphier
Which version of Eclipse are you using?

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 02:32
Whatever came in the new ADT bundle. Not sure version number or anything.
On my windows 7 machine I'm using
Quote: "Version: Kepler Service Release 1
Build id: 20130919-0819"
which works 100% OK for me. I do think it is the same version in the ADT bundle, but I'm not 100% sure.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2014 05:34
I've been working with VS 2010 Express, and it has worked well for me.

I am still using v10819 and hesitate to move up as my WIP is working just fine with it.

I do use the batch file to do the build for Android and then Eclipse to package it. And have had that work well as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 17:59
I only use Tier 1 and have not had any problems with it. Although in win 8.1 I've noticed that I cannot run some people's projects... :/ No idea why, and it's not all of them either.

cheers

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 07:39
OK... so my intern re-installed AppGameKit 10821 and it works perfectly fine now... No clue why it didn't before and we even tried reinstalling it before. My guess is Windows is pretty unstable or blocking programs like AppGameKit from running correctly when they try to access the write directory. Who knows??

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 08:43
This is good to know. Quite frankly I don't won't Windows 8 just yet but I fear I will be forced to update. I can't find windows 7 machines anymore.

I can order from Dell or HP but the Windows 7 machines are more expensive than Windows 8.

I guess I could build my own, but I would rather have a laptop. Decisions. Decisions.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 08:56
Don't buy Win 8!! Lol
You can always buy a Win 8 laptop and install Win 7. Licenses are under $100
I'm sure I won't upgrade for years. I stuck with xp until win 7 was a year or 2 old.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 11:31
Quote: "My guess is Windows is pretty unstable or blocking programs like AppGameKit from running correctly when they try to access the write directory. Who knows??"

That's probably the case and this behaviour has been the main reason for me moving to linux. Sometimes, especially when running programs comming from zip files, windows decides to block all .exe files from writing to the disk without telling the user. You have to manually go to properties for every zip file and allow them. The wierd thing is that it only happens ocationally and you don't get told about it.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 18:46
Ok. I'm staying clear of Win8 for the time being. Hopefully things will be better after a couple of service pack releases.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 02:45
OK so... we were running smoothly on Win 8. Now the programs compile but immediately exit... Tried reboots, but no help. I'm buying Win 7 for my intern now. I give up! I hope the new AppGameKit compiler will fix this problem!

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 05:15
Sorry to hear that.
Are you buying a Win7 machine or just the software?

I'm asking because I might have to do the same when searching for the software. I will be upgrading from Windows Vista?

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 05:24
We'll just buy the software. Found lots of them out there for around $70. Not sure about upgrades from Vista. If it's not a lot cheaper I'd highly suggest backing up, wiping Vista, and starting fresh, but make sure your machine's hardware can take Win 7!

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 05:39
Quote: "My guess is Windows is pretty unstable or blocking programs like AppGameKit from running correctly when they try to access the write directory."

It's more likely the case that AppGameKit is accessing the wrong directory (since to my knowledge it's not built to be Win Vista/7/8 compatible).
Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 11:16 Edited at: 21st May 2014 11:25
I've never had any problems using AppGameKit on windows 8...

Quote: ""My guess is Windows is pretty unstable or blocking programs like AppGameKit from running correctly when they try to access the write directory.""

- You need to run AppGameKit in admin mode. I think that it is more probable that you are not allowing the program to do what it wants rather than windows being unstable.

I used Win8 without any problems whatsoever, and upgraded a while back to win8.1 . Now I have one problem: some application files compiled on older windows versions don't run, whilst some do. I have no idea what is causing this, most likely something internal. But, I have nothing preventing me from coding on win8.1 . I am using it exclusively.

cheers

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 12:13
We also suspected it was admin mode issues. We've tried running the IDE, compiler, and even the interpreter executables in admin mode. No go. We even went back to a backed up version of our project when it did run and it won't work. It initiates a window then immediately closes. No error or anything. Oddest thing I've ever seen. The bytecode file compiled seems to be the right size, but I didn't have him send it to me to try on my win 7 PC.
Last thing we are attempting is to install old ATI catalyst drivers if possible. If that doesn't work then maybe we can shut off UAC altogether and maybe any antivirus. The its off to Win 7.

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 12:26 Edited at: 21st May 2014 12:27
Yeah, sounds like you have the problem I have... If you run some programs compiled on older OS' that happens. Not sure why. That's why you need to recompile the projects, seems that the projects are backwards compatible so you shouldn't have any problems in that direction. As for admin mode on the compiler and all that... Seems strange. I've only got admin mode on the "AGK V2.exe" and that was sufficient. Are you sure that you have all drivers and runtimes up to date?

cheers

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 13:03
W8 doesn't like memory leaks. There may be other "features" it doesn't like.

What's for sure is don't install into Program Files unless you are certain that ALL file-writes will go to somewhere writable, like Documents.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 18:23
@Paro - we were compiling them in Win 8. All drivers are up to date.

@Jim - AGK's set up to make the write directory in My Documents. We've not made any changes to the write directories. However, trying a different folder for the compiler, maybe at C: root might do the trick. Who the hell knows?

SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 18:28
haha... i consider windows 8 a downgrade...lol

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 18:54
indeed, so do I
nothing like taking away power and control from the user! Go Applesoft!

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2014 19:40
Funny thing... the apps just started compiling again and running with no problem. I don't get it.

ThrOtherJoJo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 03:21
You see this is why I wanted to ask before I upgraded.
It always something.

Now could it be some kind of setting that was changed somewhere?
Because if it worked fine, then stopped, and then worked again; it has to be some kind of environmental setting, no? If not, that would drive me insane.

Joeisms
KG2Entertainment.com
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 03:23
He supposedly didn't change a thing. We rebooted and it still wasn't working. Went and loaded up a standard hell world project and it ran. Then went back to our project and it was running. Very very annoying.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 19:19:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 19:19:00