Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Planet sized terrain method

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 01:28 Edited at: 3rd May 2014 01:29
I am wanting to generate a planet's terrain. I want the detail to increase as the viewer approaches the surface. Here is a video showing it in action: (this is not mine, it's just an example)
http://youtu.be/0bQz5ugtfLY

The rough idea is to have 6 surfaces (cube faces) that will be "spherefied" once the detail level and the height map is applied. This will make a planet-shaped mesh with a rough surface. Each of the face of the cube is a separate quadtree object that uses the "distance" from the center (camera) to determine what detail level each chunk of the quadtree is at.

This works fine on approach, but I have a maximum level of detail that I can't get past. I'm using Perlin noise to generate the surface features, but it seems very plain until I get around 10 levels of detail. At 10 and higher, the noise starts to become lines like rows of plants in a garden. Here is an image:

I'm really not sure where to start to correct this. I think there is a limitation to Perlin noise that is causing this. It may be the use of floats causing this or it could be the sample size..... Don't know.

If this limitation exists, I think I might have to come up with a way to generate greater detail using a trick I've been thinking about.....

I don't want to waste too much time on this because I want to get back to the meat of my game. I put this part of it off as long as I can...

The fastest code is the code never written.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Barry Pythagoras
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 02:13 Edited at: 3rd May 2014 02:16
It looks a bit different in each zone, so it looks like you just have to multiply the perlin noise by about 3 or something. But it's in rows so that's probably not going to help much.
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 03:53 Edited at: 3rd May 2014 03:54
Perlin noise is not appropriate for tiled/wrapped images. Try Simplex noise.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 3rd May 2014 13:23
Quote: "Perlin noise is not appropriate for tiled/wrapped images"

Why not?

There are several seamless Perlin noise demos around on this site if that's what you're referring to.

The problem looks more like a simple coding error to me.

Powered by Free Banners
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not tiling/wrapping the noise. I'm using 3D noise and each 3D point on the "sphere" is taken as an input to get the noise output which is then used as a height value.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 18:22
That should work fine so perhaps a coding or logic error is at fault in the noise calculation.

Powered by Free Banners
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 18:39
Because you can get results like what's in the picture. Whether that's the case in this case is open for discussion.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is the noise files: (not my creation)
perlin.h

perlin.cpp

I was thinking perhaps I should convert all the floats into doubles or some other mathematical data structure (a hybrid) to get better accuracy......

GG, bitJericho may have a point about using simplex noise.... I don't know--I've never used it. Is there a difference? What advantages/disadvantages are there?

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 22:57 Edited at: 4th May 2014 12:37
Quote: "Is there a difference?"

I believe they are essentially the same idea - the main difference if I recall correctly is that simplex noise uses a simplex for the corners of the basic shape whereas standard Perlin noise uses a box. The use of a simplex reduces calculation load in higher dimensions I believe.

In 2D a simplex is a triangle and a "box" is just a rectangle, in 3D a simplex is a tetrahedron and a "box" is in fact a box. Hence in 2d there is a 3:4 ratio but in 3D the ratio is 4:8 and gets better in 4D and higher.

Final results should be similar though. Someone posted a simplex noise plug-in or code which included spheres (plus more informed discussion of the basic idea ) if I remember correctly. I'll try to find the link and edit this post. Edit2 Here's the link:

Simplex noise plug-in

Edit3 Sorry . That's not quite the right link - but it should point you in the right direction.

Edit4 Here's the correct link hopefully.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=189861&b=18

Edit Just had a quick peek at the code and the 3D version looks wrong to me: in 1D the code has constants b0 and b1, in 2D it has b00, b01, b10 and b11. I expected the 3D code to have b000, b001, etc, up to b111 (i.e. 8 combinations in all). Something ain't right.

Edit5 Corrected stupid typo.