Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hmmm, i'm about to release my 90th app...

Author
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 04:53 Edited at: 6th May 2014 05:00
AND NO AppGameKit V2 update coming out!!!!
Now with the new deprecations of Android and the things TGC must change, i think i can forget Android forever!!!!

Ahaha i paid the Google play subscription for nothing.
Google didn't call me again on the phone for the business, as i said to them i can't release my games on Google Play because my engine has a bug in the HTTP request, and all my games use it.

Very sad.
But i'm happy as i'm going to release my last game, the 90th (this month i released 4 games)...
- DuoTris
A tetris with solo/multiplayer and funny features for battles.
Do you remember Sega Tetris? Well it will be like it!
The name come from the C64 old version. I loved it and his music.
I'm also trying to do a remix of the song.

In the while, i'm waiting my new MAC Pro coming from US!!!

I add a screenshot...

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
was this done in AppGameKit?
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 6th May 2014 11:16
Congrats Gekko!
Good thing about Google Play is it's a one off fee, so you'll be able to port your games to Android just as soon as TGC gets the bugs fixed, whenever that may be

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 13:37
bug means the >6 seconds time out wish at HTTP request?
what means new deprecations of Android?

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 20:33 Edited at: 6th May 2014 20:36
Yes the HTTP bug, it always go in timeout.
Google is deprecating some functions since July/August or June, now i don't remember very well.

Yes BJ it is done with AGK.
The graphic of the chains/windows and the background is bought on internet, as now i'm alone also in graphics.
The multiplayer will be done with Game Center in OBJ C. I done some years ago a personal engine for multiplayer.

I use only AppGameKit as engine!!

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 20:57
HTTP works perfect in T1... no timeouts. I use it extensively in Wordspionage and Shape Time with no issues whatsoever. I believe Ancient Lady uses it in T2 without issues too.

Google is deprecating AdMob standalone SDK in August. Paul has acknowledged this and plans to update to Google Play services SDK by then. Alternatively I have developed a guide for integrating Chartboost ads instead of AdMob.

Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 22:07
@xGEKKOx
if you provide a test php for me with the same problem you have at
agk i can test it for you with winsock at vb6.
normally a web server handle a connection immediately
and switch it to a free port.
the next answer is the http header and then data in packages.
extending the timeout time is the last choice in my view.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 00:17
Duotris is taken, twice in fact - one of them was even written in DBPro.

One thing that might be cool, is to have completely dual gameplay. Like, 2 players start at once for head to head, or 1 player starts - but then make it so the 2nd player can play solo at the same time... might be easy or might be a complete nightmare - would be cool though, being able to let someone play alongside. Maybe even make it so that if the device is flipped around 180 degrees, the sides switch... so if your playing on the left side, and someone sitting to your left wants to play - you flip it round then play on the right side leaving the left side for the new player.

I like novel features like that, like the iPad version of Monopoly and it's table top mode... or imagine a battleship game, that switches screens depending on the angle of the device, making it much harder to cheat

I am the one who knocks...
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I admire you Gekko, you never give up with AppGameKit!!!
I still have 2 half-done projects done with AGK1 that I never released... I'm so lazy!
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Congratulations Gekko!

Does coding in tier 2 vs. 1 greatly speed up your development time? I assume you're a naturally very fast coder, would that be true in tier 1 as well? I ask because I just finished my first app, tricky hop, and it took me 2 months to do it. I code tier 1 because I was proficient in darkbasic pro. It's still a pretty simple app for how long it took me haha.
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 02:01
wow 90 apps! your a coding machine!

i only have 5 games completed and have at least 3 on the go. I also have a growing grave yard of 10 er so started / dropped projects.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 02:31 Edited at: 7th May 2014 02:32
Well my secret is my little library in c++.
After 90 apps, i've done about all kind of games, so the major part is already done.
I port my piece of codes from my older apps and this is the reason i'm faster.
Maybe the sprite/text/buttons/controller manager i done in the begin is the key.

I done it in a way that maybe i didn't know that was the best way to do it.
Maybe luck.
Anyway, IMHO, i think i'm a fast coder.

@Markus -
I already asked Paul to do the test and he don't get the timeout, but he only called the main page on the site.
My server side work in this way:
- Web Page get the HTTP request
- It send the request to a socket on the server where there is a process waiting
- The server calculate the response
- The web page get the response
- The web page answer to HTTP

Some times, i have 2000 connections at the same time on my server, and this is why, until it get the "keepalive" first response, it got 10 sec to answer.
The consecutive answer are 0.45 (for the keepalive feature)

Paul did only the page calling, but the real message is crypted, and after my crypt function, is Base64, and sent to web page.
Now i can't give my crypt function to anyone, so how would test it?
Can be my Nexus 5? No, i tried from a S4 too, and is the same.

Now, if with OBJ C i got 0.45, always, why on Android i have always get the timeout?
I think there is something doesn't go in the LIBCURL (if Paul use it).

@ Van B-
The duel is online, so when the match start (simultaneously) they can see the challenger in the 2nd board. And when you delete some lines, it send a missile or lines or other things, to the challenger.
Playing together on the same device is impossible, lack of space for fingers.

Long life to Steve!
Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 06:53
This app looks good. Very nice 2d work.

90 apps... I could dream of that

[/url]
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Paul did only the page calling, but the real message is crypted, and after my crypt function, is Base64, and sent to web page.
Now i can't give my crypt function to anyone, so how would test it?
Can be my Nexus 5? No, i tried from a S4 too, and is the same."

This still seems to be very specific to your server or HTTP request chain and server-side functions. Nobody else can reproduce such HTTP errors when testing any other URL, and without seeing all of the code you involve in the process (AGK, PHP, etc.) it becomes impossible to find the answer. If you can create a similar "crypt function" but one you don't mind others seeing that also exhibits the problem, maybe others can test it out or review it.
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 09:39
@xGEKKOx
i believe "The server calculate the response" is your problem.
maybe u send the http header response after your calculation is finished
because it contains the data lenght.
u can give me also a crypted file that i can send to your server.
your server can also send me a crypted data back.
i only interested in the time steps.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 21:14
Yes Markus, the http response is given only when the server calculate the response.
So AppGameKit go in timeout.

Long life to Steve!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2014 23:28 Edited at: 7th May 2014 23:32
u mean the http response (header+data) comes after the server had calculated your crypted answer?

did u try send header as first ok answer (HTTP/1.1 200 OK), and later send data. ?
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

other idea is to start a request with direct answer
and collect the data with next request.
means a php site(script) can run some minutes until it is finished,
store the data in session.
collect data from session later.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 04:31
Quote: "Yes Markus, the http response is given only when the server calculate the response."

That makes it not a bug in AGK.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 06:22
For me is a fix to do!! Not a real bug.
I asked Paul to add the timeout in the function as parameter.

Yes, cause Paul must let the coder decide the timeout.
For me 6 seconds is nothing.

Markus, if is not an AppGameKit bug, why on OBJ C it is immediate the response?
When i have 2000 concurrent connections max in OBJ C is 5 sec (only for the first time).

When i have < 1000 OBJ C get the response in 0.45sec

Android fails also with 0 players online.
And i think is a bug!!

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thing is, adding the timeout as a parameter will take less than 1 hour to implement!

If AppGameKit is truly being worked on every day on a fulltime basis, this plus other fixes can be released every 2 weeks and keep users happy.

Other sdks do that. So its not strange that many users are having doubts about AppGameKit and the kickstarter they paid for
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 14:04 Edited at: 8th May 2014 14:22
@xGEKKOx
ok, that means there is something wrong in the curl lib that agk using,
or agk using this curl lib wrong. or or or ...
much people using this curl lib.
my idea is to update this in agk project and see what happens.
and maybe a timeout parameter also.
http://curl.haxx.se/changes.html

@bjadams
yes, but if u add more time for a timeout it did not fix a bug anywhere.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 18:13
Exactly, this is what i mean every time i write about V2.
Now is May 8th... waiting for something new in AGK.

Sometimes i think to open a KickStarter for a game, i think i could get much money!!!

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 18:49 Edited at: 8th May 2014 18:50
Quote: "If AppGameKit is truly being worked on every day on a fulltime basis, this plus other fixes can be released every 2 weeks and keep users happy."

I'm skeptical that it is being worked on fulltime. There is also still a major lack of communication here by Rick and Paul. FPSC:Reloaded continues to receive all of the attention at TGC with constant updates via newsletters, Lee posting actively on those forums to answer questions and so on.

All of the Kickstarter backers have been left completely in the dark. Rick hasn't shared an update with them since last December. I've been holding out waiting for a stable V2 release (on all supported platforms) since last October to develop another project in mind that requires the new features, but have basically given up care to use AppGameKit for it at this point.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 00:30
90 Games, Congratulations!

Duotris - you might need to think about changing the name. Binary Zoo created this.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@xCept I think that FPSCR gets a lot of updates & news because Lee works on it 20hours a day from monday to sunday!!!
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 02:58
BatVink, no problem for the game name, DuoTris has no copyright, as it was first developed for C64, hmm in 1993 if i'm not wrong.

Is the word "Tetris" that can't be used.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 07:04
Sorry to butt in, but DuoTris would need to actually have a trademark on the name, copyright does not apply to names. It applies to images, artwork, musical works, and publications. However, since Binary Zoo can likely prove that they were using the name well before you then if they were to seek trademark on the name the USPTO would likely grant it to them over you. This means that if your game is successful then they could potentially bring lawsuit against you. But please don't take my word for it. Check with an attorney. A simple name change might save your assets in the future.

The following link is a great place to start researching copyright and trademark legalities.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/493249/mythbusting-game-design-and-copyright-trademarks-a

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 09:38 Edited at: 9th May 2014 09:41
There's also the gray line between what constitutes a clone of Tetris for when that company issues infringement notices... Which they are notoriously famous for doing, and often win their cases.

In 2012, a judge declared the following features to be fully copyrighted by The Tetris Company:

- The dimensions of the playing field [20 squares high by ten squares wide].
- The display of "garbage" lines [the random junk that can optionally appear at the start of a game].
- The appearance of "ghost" or shadow pieces [which highlight where a piece is going to land].
- The display of the next piece to fall.
- The change in color of the pieces when they lock with the accumulated pieces.
- The appearance of squares automatically filling in the game board when the game is over.

In your game, based on that one screenshot, they could claim at least two issues to be infringing on their copyright ('next' piece, playfield size). Pretty annoying, right?
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 19:12
Well yes, it happen for all games i done.
Many houses called me on email to ask me to change something that they claim as copyrighted.
I just changed what they asked.

Anyway, "DuoTris" is much earlier than Binary Zoo one, in fact i'm adding also a tribute to the music composer from the C64, adding the original song.

Anyway i have a lawyer just for those things, and on the app store there are about 100 version of tetris.
If the app raise and become successful i will change the name/contents if the original tetris company ask to change it.

If we have to think all the apps that we can't do for name or contents, i would be at 10 apps now.
So, better you do first, after we wait what happen.

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 21:37
@xCept - That's very interesting! Typically those type of elements are considered gameplay features and not subject to copyright protection. This would be helpful to developers if there was more like this that said: If you copy feature a, b, c, d, e, AND f then you are infringing on IP. However, there doesn't seem to be much of this happening. It would be great to see a new type of patent or copyright pop up for feature sets as it would better protect even the small guys as well as define what it actually means to copy the game.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2014 18:50
Ok now, i'm at 93 apps.
3 slot machine released
- The Book Slot
- Sexy Girls Slot
- Sexy Boys Slot

Long life to Steve!
bjadams