Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Need help with ideas for a Horse Track?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 17:46 Edited at: 8th May 2014 17:50
I already have some decent animated race horses, starting gate and some nice scenery models (stadium, etc.) I created in Blender.

I am planning on putting a lake in the middle of the race track with a bridge. My ground landscape is going to be a huge plane with a grass texture and I stumbled upon MikeMax's Terrain Height-map generator:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=203224

This a very awesome little utility which will take care of a nice grass mesh and the lake.

Now I'm just wondering whats the best way to place the oval track of dirt simulating the actual race track. Would the best approach be to model the track and place it slightly over the grass terrain generated above or to paint it on to my map texture? After that I have to create my fence (railing) around both sides of the track which I already modeled some good looking pieces.

And much thanks to MikeMax as that height-map example is truly amazing!
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 19:33
we have a horse racing track in my city
i would use a track with tiled dirt texture and at horse racing
some dirt particles.
just a link to google maps.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Rennbahn+Raffelberg/@51.4368231,6.8313209,645m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x47b8c0f37daf295b:0x92ac45ed6fd6198a?hl=de

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2014 21:44
In my track editor, I laid the track over the terrain, so I could edit it and make changes at any time. As a rough guide, it involved performing collision on each node of the track with the terrain to lay it on top. This was DBPro, I'm not sure how you would do the same in AGK.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 07:13
Does AppGameKit not do normal mapping? If not that's a big bummer. I'd use normal mapping plus some dirt particles. In Blender you can make some very nice renders with normal maps so they might suffice. You might want some different textures though: a base for the dirt and any pebbles, then more environmental things like hoof prints and puddles. Maybe there's a nice shader you can apply to help with a normal map like effect.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 16:49:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 16:49:26