Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Text files written from AGK - Odd notepad output

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I'm working on a map editor and the maps are written out as text files. Up to now, when I loaded the files in notepad, they looked like regular text as I would expect (I'm using writeline). I can't think of what I've changed but they now appear to be gobbledygook or Japanese characters in notepad but still appear as regular text in wordpad. Map editor can load them fine but I hate not understanding what it is. Any clues as to what might be going on?!?!
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 00:22
Post one.

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's one...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 00:42
I would assume this is caused by an error in the character encoding. In order to convert the bytes in a file to text, each number is given a character and in order to read and write a file both the program writing and the one reading need to "agree" on a system for this "transformation". With files written by AppGameKit, the program opening the file has no idea what encoding AppGameKit used and has to guess a system. If it guesses correctly the text will appear fine but if it gets wrong, it will come out as nonsense. To fix it you just have to tell the program opening it what encoiding you used, which is most likley Unicode or utf-8. Standard windows notepad has no feature to open with a cirtain encoiding so you will have to use something like notepad++ or sublime

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
DavidAGK
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
OK, Cool. Thanks for the explanation.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 17:26:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 17:26:37