Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK already supports Windows Phone 8 (internally)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 03:56 Edited at: 11th May 2014 03:57
So, Lee stated in this week's Intel developer webcast that AppGameKit supported Windows Phone 8 app development. I thought it was a misstatement, but Lee then clarified on his blog: "AGK supports WP8, but only internally so it won't be full support at this stage, but if the community want to see this we can certainly make it available once the V2 work is done."

This is the first I learned of any kind of Windows Phone 8 integration, remembering that Windows Phone integration was the highest stretch goal which was not reached on Kickstarter. So, hopefully this will become a reality for all users at some point although I do believe all other features and platforms should be made solid beforehand.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 07:49
That would definitely be cool. Windows Phone 8 has doubled its markest share over the past year. It's still globally only 13% but that's much better than it was and better than Blackberry. I'd appreciate having a new market, but as you say, they really need to finish out v2 to a stable product first. That will be a long road. I'd also like to see Amazon IAP integration. They are the third top vendor for tablets and I have a strong feeling that Amazon is positioning itself in the gaming market as well with Amazon Fire TV. And they're poising to release a phone. They've got deep pockets and will be a strong competitor in the mobile market. I also feel that Amazon Fire TV and Chromecast will make it a lot harder on devices like OUYA.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2014 11:54
After completing v2 and after fixing known bugs what I want the most is Steam integration. Which I think should be a paid upgrade. Linux should also not bee too difficult as it supports OpenGL. If AppGameKit is going to be a popular indie software then I think these are important. There are also features missing for Android and iOS.

I don't know anything about the Windows Phone 8 market. I only know one person that actually owns one. A few have iPhones and almost everybody around here got Android phones. Since it isn't OpenGL it will take a lot of time for TGC to implement. And I wonder how important this platform really is.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
by the time we will see winphone8 support, the winphone8 marketplace will be totally saturated
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2014 01:16
i want it for AppGameKit V2 (or after). I was amazed by windows phone 8 after my company has provided me a nokia lumia 520 for work. (this is a low-cost model yet). But it can run great 3D titles

Microsoft have done a great phone OS and next release of WP8 will be even better (update 4 with notification center / Quick (de)activation toolbar (wifi,3g/4g,gps etc...)) etc etc)

--------------
TDavid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 11:54 Edited at: 18th May 2014 11:54
If memory serves Mircorsoft is working to have android apps run on windows phone. I could be wrong though.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2014 12:20
Quote: "If memory serves Mircorsoft is working to have android apps run on windows phone. I could be wrong though. "

I think this might be what you are referring too:
http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-creating-open-source-framework-gaming

It's either something like an engine that runs on on all platforms (which would mean more apps released for Windows Phone) or perhaps it got something to do with SmartGlass?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:49:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:49:08