Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Downloading images/text from a website? [T1]

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I've finally thought of an idea that I would love to execute using AppGameKit and before I can begin I was curious if I could develop an app that would update a list of text/images with the latest ones that it pulls from a website or database? I'd love for the application to be able to be updated constantly with new content and I'm just not entirely sure if AppGameKit can do it.

If it can be done could someone help me out please?

AMD FX 6300 hex-core processor 3.5 GHZ
16 GB DDR3 ram, Geforce 660 Ti 2GB ram
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 12th May 2014 12:27
Yep, just use GetHTTPFile
The problem is replacing the old images, you can't delete the files that you package with the game, only downloaded/created ones. The way to fix it is to either download all your media the first time the player plays the game (not recommended though, users don't really like it). The other way is to simply have a file that tells you which files to replace with which other files and have all the files downloaded at the same time (if that makes sense )

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2014 13:06
if u use google store, means android os, it should use
seperate apk for content, but i never used it in this kind myself.

if means constantly = realtime, than the database solution is ok.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2014 15:26
Quote: "The problem is replacing the old images, you can't delete the files that you package with the game, only downloaded/created ones."

It is possible. Use GetFileExists() and DeleteFile() before you overwrite it with your new version.

The original file will still exist, but it is superseded by your new one in the write directory. If you delete the new one, it reverts back to the original.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 01:25
The AppGameKit Community Ad Network API works on this principle
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=209510&b=41

You could certainly use it for adding things to your game, but as others have mentioned it will always have the original APK content for anyone who downloads new. Google updates apps really fast though, so you could push out the replaced content to users within a few hours.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 21:12:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 21:12:34