Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Has anyone had success with Amazon?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 13th May 2014 09:41 Edited at: 13th May 2014 09:45
So I've submitted a couple of my games to the amazon appstore and I'm rather dissapointed with the results.
Ryder has 81 installs on Amazon, but has well over 20,000 installs on Google Play!
So has anybody had much success on Amazon? Or any other app store for that matter!
I've been pretty successful on Google Play (fast approaching 50,000 total installs), but that's about all. I might start porting some of my games to iOS soon though as someone I know finally bought a mac

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 11:52
Amazon probably has a more direct and controlled app marketting system. Like, they'll decide which apps are featured the most - so while Google Play might be a more even field, getting into Amazon's good graces might be the way to hit really big numbers... I mean a lot of people like Kindle, they are very popular and considered more than just an Android tablet.

iOS might be the same issue - very difficult if not impossible for an indie to get to the front of the app store, it's all for EA and their ilk these days. Really, I would suggest that when you make enough money with an App, get a mac and make an iOS version, but only when the costs are covered by the Android version.

It boils down to marketting these days, which sucks because who really has money for this stuff - it kinda detracts from the joys of being an indie developer... I can't see the situation getting any better anytime soon. My iOS game has a publisher behind it, marketting... and that didn't make much difference.

I am the one who knocks...
JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 12:07 Edited at: 13th May 2014 12:44
My initial numbers on Amazon have been poor, though it is published on there as a paid app rather than free with IAP as it is on Google.

I'm hoping that after being feature as free app otd,it will generate some sales.

I'll let you all know how it goes after the event.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 12:39
My experience with Amazon has been pretty much identical to yours easter bunny. 'Happy Chick - Platform Game' on Google Play has had over 67,000~ downloads, yet on Amazon, only 500~.

Unfortunately for us, iOS has also been pretty unsuccessful, coming in at about 3000~ downloads...

I think Van B is correct, its all about the marketing these days. I mean, you could have the best app in the world, but if no one knows about it, how can they download it!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2014 12:56
After JohnnyMeek's experience with compatibility I wonder if some of our apps we sent over to Amazon have issues. While this wouldn't necessarily prevent downloads it would lead to poor reviews and retention rates.

BI says that Amazon gets $0.59 in sales to every $1.00 in Google sales. That's really good. So it's not a market to ignore in my opinion. http://www.businessinsider.com/a-look-at-amazons-kindle-ecosystem-3-2014-2

Although this is a poor comparison, dFenz has had a total of 20 downloads on Amazon, but over 500 on Google and about 1,000 on iOS.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 01:13:14
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 01:13:14