Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / The Present and future of AGK.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everyone,

As you all know I'm often known for being vocal about all things AppGameKit and have been a user since the Alpha days (and worked for the UK publisher of a number of TGC titles). I strongly believe in AppGameKit and it's future and want to try and play a small part in this. So what I'm going to do with TGC's support is keep everyone up to date and write / update a blog letting everyone know how V2's progressing and also share any news or projects that are written in AGK. This information will also be shared with the Kickstarter backers who I believe deserve a bit more of a heads up with what's going on.

It's early days but with your help and support we will all know what's going on and hopefully the AppGameKit community will grow as will everyones confidence in AGK. Hopefully it'll also bring all the information together in one (or two) places.

So to get the ball rolling please reply to this post with any questions you have regarding AppGameKit and I will do my best to get some answers.

Thanks for your future support,
Jeremy.

If it's not broken don't keep trying to fix it.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 00:59
They're doing a pretty good job now of keeping this thread updated.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=210287&b=41

But oftentimes Rick edits the original post and doesn't create a new post to let us know it's been updated.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 11:10
I agree with Naphier. If you are a regular to this board then you should have no questions about the current state of AppGameKit and the near future plans. The Kickstarter is left in the dark which is not good.

From what I understand there's a lot of questions regarding fixing excising bugs, adding missing features on already supported platforms and also bringing AppGameKit up to date with those platforms. Is this going to happen before the planned 3D updates for v2?

And I would really like to know what TGC's stance is on Steam support for AppGameKit post v2?

And also how does TGC plan to monetize AppGameKit? If you currently back v2 you can get AppGameKit really cheap, cheaper than paying for v1 (which is included with v2). Is there any plans to increase that price before v2 reaches the end of the Kickstarter goals? Maybe different prices for v1 and v2? Any plans to add paid modules or updates after v2?

JohnnyMeek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 11:38
I'd like to see a road map of features & functionality with target dates.

This should be constantly updated, so we all know whats going on and can plan our own projects accordingly.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Pawprints what we need is more frequent news from TGC officials + roadmap
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2014 17:08
+1 for the ROADMAP.
I want to know which features will be added day by day.

Long life to Steve!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
day by day?

i think it's more month by month at the slow speed we're seeing updates
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 01:11
We do need a solid roadmap. I don't care about dates on it all that much as dates are always tentative. But I'd love to know specifics on what is being cooked up.
Rick's been giving us updates at least once a week since March. I'd say that's not bad.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 03:07
Well if i was TGC i would post day by day what i've fixed.
Like a blog, so my users can share with me what i'm doing.

This is the way to have success. Share what you do.

Long life to Steve!
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 06:45 Edited at: 16th May 2014 06:49
Last week people on Facebook expressed disappointment in TGC's lack of communication with AppGameKit as well. Rick responded:

Quote: "I'm hearing you all loud and clear and I'll raise this as a key item in our Monday monthly meeting. We'll work to improve the communication on AGK2 I promise you. We are dedicated to AGK2 and will make it an awesome tool. We have under estimated the time required to build it and I do think an Indie of our size is a bit crazy developing such a complex product! You'll hear back from me next week."

(However this week is quickly winding down with no follow-up yet from Rick about improving communications and update statuses).

I'd love to know the specifics of how much time Paul is actually devoting to AppGameKit development. Is it 1 hour a day, 4, 8?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 18:28
If you haven't paid attention to Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tgc/app-game-kit-v2/posts/845709

IronGiant
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 18:35
I myself think more Beta's should be released,

Not only would it quiet a lot of people down who get tired of waiting for a fully done product. But would give us all something new and exciting to play with.

We're not, ( well most of us are not ), hoping for a finished AppGameKit 2 in a week. But sure as hell be nice to have a few features every now and then to piss around with.

Most of you know the feature I'm waiting on, Code folding,

Because I'm happy with most of the other features of AppGameKit, that's the main on my list.

AppGameKit is one of the most powerful development tools for 2D games for Droid , at least for me , as it is.

If I had Code Folding right now, I'd run along , play with AppGameKit , probably full time and be as happy as a clam,

though now that I think about it, how happy are clams anyways? cant be too happy since they get eaten alot.

Anyways, thanks for listening. lets hope a new beta is out soon, and now back to coding ,

Just one other feature would be nice now that I think about it. AppGameKit invents, codes and promotes the game for ya, I can dream...

later coders.

It's Bird! , It's Plane!, No its a rocket powered Squirrel holding some acorns and a smile!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2014 18:49
Quote: "I myself think more Beta's should be released

Most of you know the feature I'm waiting on, Code folding"

Well, there'd be no point to release a new update when Paul is in the middle of something. Currently he is working on the compiler and when that's done (hopefully June) a new alpha will be released. Then he will move on to the IDE which will include code folding. We are probably getting a brand new IDE, not based on Codeblocks.

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 15:18
Well usually i work 12 hours a day on my apps.
How much they work on AppGameKit?

Long life to Steve!
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 02:23
I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect that the developers at AppGameKit are working 12-hour days. That said, I've received messages from Paul at times that would be very early and very late for his time zone.

Blendman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 12:24
Hi

@IronGiant : "Most of you know the feature I'm waiting on, Code folding,"
You could tried this code :

http://www.dracaena-studio.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 15:45
I know for a fact that Paul works very long hours. He doesn't work conventional hours but he works very late into the night. I know this from some of the emails I used to get when I worked for TGC.

One thing you can be sure of is that TGC are doing something right. I have put money into a bunch of kickstarter campaigns over the last few years. Most run over and not many people complain. The fact that people are scrabbling to get their hands on AppGameKit V2 finished is a good indication that TGC have a good product and there are a lot of people that want it as soon as possible.

It's good that they are trying to get more information out now and are listening to what the community want (IE. information).

I wish I had the time to be desperate for V2... unfortunately I'm too busy with other things at the moment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 20:29:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 20:29:52