Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / linux MATE gui freezes (common bug or just my luck?)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2014 23:05
First of all i suck at linux and not asking for anything technical just asking for a general direction to look for and possibly find the solution.

There seems to be a general reoccuring probem with MATE desktop environment that has been reoccuring on every computer and every linux distro i tried.

Whenever i try to personolize or play around with MATE desktop properties wether its customizing toolbars, editing panels and pretty much doing anything in gui properties, the gui will just freeze up eventually.

This has been occuring on every linux distro where i tried installing MATE or even the distros that came with MATE like CENTOS, Debian or Linux Mint.

This has been reocurring on every hardware configuration i tried both laptops and desktops. (the only constant was a socket 775 intel and DDR2 and an amd64 distos)

The weird thing is i tried looking but its like the problem dosent exist.

I am positive that this should be a common problem. I reinstalled the latest linux mint and there it is again.

If anyone is familiar with MATE or has it installed or has any info on this problem, can you point me in the right direction?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 10:03
Does it freeze upon chanting a specific config item? Or does it freeze just anyware while you are reconfiguring? If the same place, clearly that component is faulty. If not...
Have you tried editing the config files rather than use the gui controls? If you can make your changes before entering your graphical session and it works fune when you start, then the tweak tool may be faulty.
When it freezes, have you tried Ctrl+Alt+Bspace and then starting a new session. Does the problem persist when starting a new session? These answers help narrow the problem down.

I'm note experienced with MATE, but I was using Gnome for a while and never had issues (Right now, I don't run a full DE, I use Fluxbox as my WM and I recently started using Fbpanel because it's easy and small. I'm quite minimalist). Anyway, this brings me to the final question of: Is there a reason why you specifically use MATE? I doubt there's much that it can offer that other DEs can't. Have you tried XFCE? It's light on resources, easy to customise and very stable. It sounds about in line with what you're looking for.

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2014 23:19 Edited at: 25th May 2014 23:20
It freezes up sortof randomly I can try to resize a toolbar and it will freeze or i can start playing around with transparency and add a lot of pretty interface features befor it will freeze up. You are proboly right that i need look in the config files. The problem does not presist if i restart a session. I am now more curious as to why this hasnt ben fixed and why am i the only one having problems.

As for why MATE? I am a more of an LXDE fan, but while LXDE is stable and very customizable, Mate has something distinctly good looking about it. and has a certain pleasant feel to it that lxde somehow lacks a bit. At first i wanted to try and figure out how to modify MATE here and there to make it a bit more customizable but then i started running into the freezing problem.

After weeks of googling, i am beginning to suspect that MATE just becomes Glitchy beyond the default setup and if the freezing thing isnt just my luck, then noone probably really bothered to customize it because its good as it is and i am just a rare breed of masochist to try doing so.

PS- When it freezes, the windows manager Caja keeps working fine, its the MATE toolbars and stuff that stop working.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 10:13 Edited at: 26th May 2014 10:14
Is it a total freeze, or can you still access tty's (by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1)? NOTE: X-session runs on tty7 - to return, press CTRL+ALT+F7.

If you have access to tty1, you could assess to problem.

Your mod has been erased by a signature
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 18:12
Quote: " Is it a total freeze, or can you still access tty's (by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1)? NOTE: X-session runs on tty7 - to return, press CTRL+ALT+F7."

Depends on his distro. My X-session usually runs on tty1 for Fedora/Debian.

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 19:33
Based on your reason for leaving LXDE, I would even more suggest XFCE. It starts off bland, but it can be made pretty in a few easy clicks. Here's somewhere to start looking around:
Some themes on xfce-look.org

But, back to MATE, have you tried doing an upgrade? Could be a version-specific bug. The only thing I can think of is that the bug is the result of real-time tweaking because of the constant refreshing (just a guess).

"Oh nonZero, let me tell you, I love you." -- Dark Java Dude 64, Vice-Kapitan of nASA(nonZero's Awesomeness-Spreading Association)
PAGAN_old
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 00:29
Real time tweaking hmm... you could be onto something here, because that is the only explanation that actually fits the profile of issue. I am going to look into this.

I wouldnt say i left LXDE, I just really like tweaking around with the interface and personalizing it to my own standards and to be honest everything has a little bit of something that i like. The overall setup of Gnome3 feels very natural and easy to use for me but lacks a lot of customisation features i would love. I kindof want to make my own personalized copy of gnome3 but i want to make it look like a really old windows 95 (or some tricked out version of some early 90s gui interface) because i am into that kind of stuff.

Havent tried XFCE yet but i plan on doing that.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 04:15:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 04:15:10