Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Data sharing between platforms?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all i'm new to mobile platforms and I have a question regarding data sharing.it may be simple for some here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

How is data handled between different platforms online

Eg. User1platform = Android
user2 platform = ios

The data i'm referring to is the online state of each user and their location

Like I said i'm new to the mobile world but I assume I would send a packet of data over the Web which will then b picked up by another user and then interpreted from there... somebody please shed some light on this for me

Native Technology
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2014 14:01
i believe best choice is device-wan-webserver-wan-device
with http commands. alternate multiplayer commands.

AGK 108 (B)19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th May 2014 19:53
There are 2 different ways:
Games with live action use a server-side program to interpret data and send it back out to any connected users. MMO games are a good example of this. It is very complex and to do it with AppGameKit would require a server which can run a Windows exe program. I've no idea where to even begin with that stuff. There are some example of using the AppGameKit multiplayer commands in the documentation.

Games that are turn based can do it a different way. You send data from the game to the server then store it in a database until the other players can pick up that data. Some games utilize push notifications to send the data from the server to the other players, but this is unstable and subject to failure. Also, AppGameKit doesn't have a built-in way to read data from push notifications. The other method is to send a push notification that tells the user they should open the app. When the app is opened you check the server for any relevant data for that user and get it. This is the method Wordspionage uses. It is complex and takes a bit of work, but AppGameKit does it pretty well.

Whichever the scenario, the data must pass through an intermediary such as a server where it is stored. You can also share data via NFC, but I've not tried that on AGK.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:50:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:50:26